Fashion Becoming Too Mainstream?

ebowleg

Reaction score
I don't want this post to come off arrogent, pompous, or snobbish in any way, but I just have to get this off of my chest. I was in the Coach store today buying a few last minute X-mas presents, when I realized- the store was packed. Not packed with you the usual women in their mid 30's and older, but with a new generation. There were 12 year old girls, hip-hoppers, and teeny boppers prancing around the store. I was shocked, it seemed that what once seemed exclusive wasn't anymore. It's like that at Gucci, Prada, and Louis Vuitton as well. In my high school (yes, high school), girls flaunt their real and fake bags like it's nothing. What once made me feel outside the box, in a good way, for carrying a designer bag now makes me feel like I'm nothing but a number. One number of the many people who have these things. Don't get me wrong, I understand that this is what's supposed to happen- especially with today's economy, but it just isn't the same.

one has to realize that our society is increasingly obsessed with money, fame and glamour. of course the big name labels are becoming more mainstream because they represent what the common man aspires to be. luxury items have shifted from being soley for the rich and are now de rigeur for the middle class. everyone wants to keep up with the joneses, but the joneses arent just your perfect neighbors anymore, they are the hiltons and the j-los of the world. it doesnt really have anything to do with fashion, these people dont understand fashion, they just understand status symbols and trends and how to follow them.

Originally posted by smashinfashion@Dec 20th, 2003 - 11:14 pm
one has to realize that our society is increasingly obsessed with money, fame and glamour. of course the big name labels are becoming more mainstream because they represent what the common man aspires to be. luxury items have shifted from being soley for the rich and are now de rigeur for the middle class. everyone wants to keep up with the joneses, but the joneses arent just your perfect neighbors anymore, they are the hiltons and the j-los of the world. it doesnt really have anything to do with fashion, these people dont understand fashion, they just understand status symbols and trends and how to follow them.
On the nail! :clap:

I'm not surprised at all with Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Versace being mainstream because these were mainstream ever since. :flower: These are the mainstream lables. :wink:

Originally posted by smashinfashion@Dec 20th, 2003 - 11:14 pm
Absolutely, smashin. :flower:

I must admit, I believe that most of the company's we have mentioned here were designed to be mainstream. Maybe I'm just realizing it, or it has just started to take place. :flower:

Originally posted by ebowleg@Dec 20th, 2003 - 10:24 pm
I don't want this post to come off arrogent, pompous, or snobbish in any way, but I just have to get this off of my chest.
In the spirit of discussion (and a slight bit of :evil:'s advocacy), I'll bite and say this does sound extremely snobbish.

Here on The Fashion Spot we're hypersensitive to the luxury industry. Just as messageboards devoted to house music (for instance) are full of people griping about how "the mainstream" is ruining the scene, we too get protective of our buys.

Ask yourself what sets you apart from the "mainstream?" How come you're allowed to buy a Coach item and keep the Integrity of Luxury flying high while "12 year old girls, hip-hoppers, and teeny boppers" dilute it?

Is it because we know and appreciate the quality and craftsmanship? Is is because we're filled with trivia about the designer? Is it because we know someone that knows someone that knows Tiiu?

I don't think anyone at Coach headquarters is particularly bummed out about a packed store. Also you must consider who actually bought an item there as opposed to merely internally window-shopping.

Thanks to financing, people drive cars and live in houses they can't afford. Similarly, credit cars make a Coach item attainable for some. There's no prerequisite for discretionary income or hip knowledge to buy luxury goods.

Remember Jack Black's character in High Fidelity? Should Coach sales staff quiz prospective customers before they can buy?

We've got 270 million people in the US. There is no one "mainstream" anyway, just a bunch of trends with good PR.

Mostly people are just logo-obsessed. And accessories, especially handbags, are a way for people to buy into the cachet of a luxury or high-end name without spending loads on a designer wardrobe. Also, accessories are "safe" (especially the popular logoed ones, as they're usually the most classic, least daring things you could think of). That's what is truly "mainstream," I think...the thought that a pricey bag makes up for an otherwise bland, dull, scrubby, or otherwise un-chic outfit (come check out the girls at my university at Saturday morning brunch in the dining hall, wearing the sweatpants they slept in and toting LVs and you'll see what I mean).

By all means buy quality if you care about craftsmanship, but stay away from logoed items if you want to separate yourself from the "mainstream."

Thank goodness for vintage. B)

Originally posted by Atelier@Dec 21st, 2003 - 8:57 am

Here on The Fashion Spot we're hypersensitive to the luxury industry...

Ask yourself what sets you apart from the "mainstream?" How come you're allowed to buy a Coach item and keep the Integrity of Luxury flying high while "12 year old girls, hip-hoppers, and teeny boppers" dilute it?

Thanks to financing, people drive cars and live in houses they can't afford. Similarly, credit cars make a Coach item attainable for some.
i dont think we are hypersensitive to the lux industry, on the contrary... we are very critical.

Apart from this, i agree, people are buying social status with borrowed money.

There's no prerequisite for discretionary income or hip knowledge to buy luxury goods.

luxury goods were always out there, without possesing people's wallets or taste.
in the past consumers were drawing lines, they knew that LV was not for them and taht was it. New generation, falling prey to advertisent and hype, seem only to ready to jump in the lux wagon, preparing themselves to slave all their lifes for logos, i find this sad.. :( why??

because when 'rare' and 'distinguised' becomes 'mainstream' it is not rare anymore, so why pay for this?
luxury market is falling in its own trap, its clearly losing its luxury touch by over exposure while driving a certain kind of 'leading' and faithful consumers away.
lux bags are not lux when so many people borrow or slave to afford them, they become common=non lux at all. its beyond the point :P

This post was in no way to attack people for buying something luxurious or high quality. It was created to say that many luxury brands have seemed to loose their luster, because they have become extremely common. Many people who buy only buy the item for the name. Hence the logo's. Others buy just because it's the thing to do. There is no real sense of, I'm buying a Gucci bag because I want it and I like it. Now, it's I'm buying a Gucci bag because it has tons of G's over it and people will no I spent tons of money on it.

Originally posted by ebowleg@Dec 21st, 2003 - 4:00 pm
many luxury brands have seemed to loose their luster, because they have become extremely common.

There is no real sense of, I'm buying a Gucci bag because I want it and I like it. Now, it's I'm buying a Gucci bag because it has tons of G's over it and people will know I spent tons of money on it.
absolutely, it is a class/wealth statement, worst of all on borrowed money, that is also losing its strength due to mass hysteria :rolleyes: :lol:

Un-stylish people will always be so no matter how many designer labels they try and hide it with...

Originally posted by Lena+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena)</div><div class='quotemain'>i dont think we are hypersensitive to the lux industry, on the contrary... we are very critical.[/b]

Lena, this is exactly what I mean by the word "hypersensitive," not that we are kind (although you and everyone here has been to me :flower:). We are extremely reactive and responsive (taking positions for, against and in the middle) about the facets of the luxury, fashion and modeling industries.

<!--QuoteBegin-ebowleg

This post was in no way to attack people for buying something luxurious or high quality.[/quote]

Let me get this straight. The contention is that luxury companies are catering to consumers who are buying luxury goods for the wrong reasons. It's been established that the right reasons are wanting it and liking it. The wrong reasons are getting it for the name only, because it's the in thing to do, or to show lots of bucks were shelled out for it. The end result is that the person who bought it for the right reasons has now lost exclusivity.

I find this way too judgmental for me. I respect your opinion though. :smile:

playing devil's advocate --

how is buying a "designer" item because it's the in thing to buy by "mainstream" standards any different than buying a "designer" item because it's the in thing to buy by industry (fashion) standards (like many people on this forum do)?

you may say you buy CD or LV or Hermes, etc, because of the history behind the bag or because the name says quality...but honestly (you don't have to be honest with me, but be honest with yourself) you are only buying it because it is a CD or LV or Hermes this or that -- which in my opinion is the same thing these "kids, teenyboppers, hiphoppers" are doing.

quality is quality no matter what the label says.

i just dont buy lux labels fashionrage, i find them beyond their own point :ninja:

fashionrage- I don't buy luxury items for their name, despite what you may think. I posted this thread to just say that luxury fashion isn't what it used to be. It has become extremely commercial. I don't buy Gucci because Gucci is hot at the moment, or because the double G's are instantly recognizable. I buy Gucci because it is what I like.

This post was in no way to attack people for buying something luxurious or high quality. It was created to say that many luxury brands have seemed to loose their luster, because they have become extremely common. Many people who buy only buy the item for the name. Hence the logo's. Others buy just because it's the thing to do. There is no real sense of, I'm buying a Gucci bag because I want it and I like it. Now, it's I'm buying a Gucci bag because it has tons of G's over it and people will no I spent tons of money on it.

Originally posted by smashinfashion@Dec 20th, 2003 - 9:14 pm
absolutely true!!!!! :heart:
its all about people trying to buy thems elves into a high mroe luxuryes/wealthy image when really every body els is doing the same :rolleyes:

because when 'rare' and 'distinguised' becomes 'mainstream' it is not rare anymore, so why pay for this?
luxury market is falling in its own trap, its clearly losing its luxury touch by over exposure while driving a certain kind of 'leading' and faithful consumers away.
lux bags are not lux when so many people borrow or slave to afford them, they become common=non lux at all. its beyond the point

so true as well lena , rare is exclusive,rare is special.

also I doun think ebowleg's* post was rude or arogant, i often have simialre thoughts. :wink:

yeah i agree!!! :unsure:

Originally posted by Lena+Dec 21st, 2003 - 8:30 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Dec 21st, 2003 - 8:30 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-ebowleg@Dec 21st, 2003 - 4:00 pm
many luxury brands have seemed to loose their luster, because they have become extremely common.

There is no real sense of, I'm buying a Gucci bag because I want it and I like it. Now, it's I'm buying a Gucci bag because it has tons of G's over it and people will know I spent tons of money on it.
absolutely, it is a class/wealth statement, worst of all on borrowed money, that is also losing its strength due to mass hysteria :rolleyes: :lol: [/b][/quote]
That is the saddest part. People are no longer spending within their own means to be fashionable, they have to mortgage their houses and max out their credit cards so they can get the most expensive and trendiest items possible. How classy is that? Not even being able to put your kids through university because you spent all your money on LV handbags. :rolleyes:

To me, a well dressed woman (or man :wink: ) is someone who can look pulled together no matter how much money they have. Nowadays everything is all flash and little substance.

I have only recently noticed the flashy handbags around here, and even then it's mostly at airports. Is this bigger in the United States or is it everywhere?

Interestingly two of the greatest fashion designers of the last century (Balenciaga and St.Laurent) retired because they felt fashion had moved away from an art form...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THEYotam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->