Fashion industry for foreigners?

addicted;D

Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm Julia, a junior college student majoring in art history and who's extremely interested in breaking into the fashion industry..
I love having talks about lifestyles, fashion, etc so much that I get even butterflies in my stomach.. (I bet most of people here do too:D)
However, since it hasn't been long since I've actually decided to have my career in the fashion industry, I have lots of inquiries about breaking into the field, and the forum has been a great help!

Since I'm an international student in US, even getting a work permit is not an easy job at all here let alone getting a decent job as a foreigner especially if you wanted to get a job in the field different from your original academic major..
so I wanted to hear from anyone who knows a bit about how usually foreigners enter the industry in US or any European countries..Is going to a fashion school the most popular way to take?
I'm planning to pursue a career as a stylist..(wanted to be a fashion journalist at first, but English as a foreign language somehow stops me...)
or anyone knows real stories about foreigners who made it big as a stylist in US or Europe?

thanks so much in advance and you guys rock...!

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure how this worls in usa but in europe its pretty easy to work as a stylist if you are real good in your work, have easy to work with personality and with a 'special' kind of personal style

Paris (and London) are both real good places for 'stylish' foreigners

thanks for the reply and glad to hear that!!
then should I focus on building my portfolio first..? I'm just starting from scratch since I'm not a fashion major.. although I've been studying a lot about aesthetics in general as an art history major..
does one usually start by applying for an assistant job in the cities that you've mentioned?

Lena said:
not sure how this worls in usa but in europe its pretty easy to work as a stylist if you are real good in your work, have easy to work with personality and with a 'special' kind of personal style

Paris (and London) are both real good places for 'stylish' foreigners

intern is more likely, but it beware it doesnt pay..
good think is that you can get some experience , if you are able to support your expenses and you are real good, then maybe they ask you to stay with the label and work on normal wages

thanks Lena!
yeah..that's what i thought
basically my plan is to get some experience in korea(where I'm from and going back for the summer break), and then after the graduation(I have only a semester before the graduation) to apply for internships in London..
hopefully i'll be able to get good connections in korea this summer..(by applying for assistantship in major magazines, and sales associate in well-known brand store or department store..)

btw, am I the only one who's struggling with this kind of stuff? I thought there'd be lots of people who're from the countries that are not-so-lucrative in fashion-wise and aspire to work in the bigger fashion industries...anyone?

Lena said:
intern is more likely, but it beware it doesnt pay..
good think is that you can get some experience , if you are able to support your expenses and you are real good, then maybe they ask you to stay with the label and work on normal wages

I know a few people who are Japanese/Chinese who are freelance stylists in London - their work is very unsteady and it does so happen that many of the BIG stylists in London are British but that shouldn't really stop you if you have the talent to back you up regardless of whether you're foreign or not.

yeah, lots of foreigners making it big in the 'international market' at the moment on the styling front, including asians, turkish and greek people.. its a great inter cultural exchange

somehow i believe the industry needs this 'fresh look' something outside the local culture
no fear, go for it addicted, make it happen

i am in the same boat, although we have somewhat switched places... i am american and am trying to build my career as a stylist in japan. being a foreigner has given me many options, although since i am not japanese and its not my native tongue, it has had its drawbacks as well. I also understand about the visa thing... it has a lot to do with luck, and who you meet who can help you on that front. but i say use your "foreigness" as a WEAPON and go for everything you can~

Thanks so much for all the encouraging comments guys!!

yes..visa can be really frustrating..and language barrier has been higher than I'd expected even at school...
BUT, as long as I have passion and hopefully a bit of luck:innocent: , I shouldn't give up..right? and I will not!!B)

and wish you good luck on everything you do, Mishahoi!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->