Forbes - Last-A-Lifetime Accessories

Yin&Yang

Reaction score
source : http://www.forbes.com/2008/01/02/style-accessories-classic-forbeslife-cx_ls_0103style.html

Among the brand listed are the usual names such as Hermes and Tiffany&Co.

Personally while I agree that most of the items will remains classic, they did not really highlight the true classic pieces. For example, I personally believe Hermes Kelly ( or Hermes Birkin ) are much more classic than the limited edition Wall Street Hermes Watch.:innocent:

What's your take on this list? :flower:
Do you agree with what's listed?
And if you disagree, what do you think should have been listed instead? :rolleyes:

Omg what about the Chanel 2.55? That`s always a classic or the LV monogram bags
The Persol sunglasses...I must disagree.

My vote for sunglasses would be Ray-ban Wayfarers! *Yes, i'm super biased because it featured on Breakfast at Tiffany's* And personally I believe Hermes scarves deserves a place on the list too~ On a side note, I still firmly believe that the white pearl looks more classic than the coloured one.

totally disagree with that list. they totally forgot aesthetics. one wouldn't have those around for a 'lifetime' as they look like things you'd only buy when you're 60+.

These are bloody awful! That marc jacobs clutch will be over once the new season hits. Most of his bags are very seasonal. Persol? Why not just get wayfarers, they are cheaper and better designed too.
I'm sorry, those ferragamo shoes and tiffany pink reeks of a well-off eldery home dwellers.
the only thing i like is the watch but for 25'000 I'd rather buy a real watch brand.

The alligator belt and the loafers are the only two things I would consider keeping for a 'lifetime' in that list.

The Marc Jacobs clutch was bloody awful and not something you could still carry as an old woman.

I just read what everyone else wrote and I disagree with the opinion that everything was very old! I thought the items they chose were really young and trendy and dated!

hmm...i don't really consider anything from Marc Jacbos a classic....

I would agree on the MJ thing...Tiffanys is always a classic in my book...as well are pearl accessories...

thanks for the thread and topic...
unfortunately....
i don't think ANY of this is good advice... (although persol's are quite cool)
not even for the most boring and classic person...

just say NO...:ninja:...

I think that concept of "last-a-lifetime" signature accessories isn't something that can be captured by a list of products from Forbes (or anywhere else for that matter) - signature pieces are way too personal/individual for that!

I'm not sure if most of you read the article or simply watched the slideshow, because the former specifically mentions Forbes' definition of the term "last-a-lifetime." Basically, it's a piece that is "distinctive, but understated," and was constructed in an above-average fashion. So, not necessarily an attractive piece by any means - but like the first sentence in the article reads, sometimes looks aren't the most important aspect.

Anyway, I don't think a list like this applies to everyone (as this thread proves). I agree with the idea of quality being absolutely vital, but with extreme care and caution you can make even the 'cheapest' of items last a lifetime.

this is coming forbes, not some highly regarded fashion periodical. i wouldn't take this seriously. besides this is catered to people who are all about finance...probably people who wanna show off their money.

Last edited by a moderator:
The words 'classic' and 'timeless', when used to denote something that is, supposedly, always fashionable, should be banned under the Trade Descriptions Act, IMHO. :lol:

They're such a marketing scam. :rolleyes:

These crafty companies rely on people's youth, lack of fashion knowledge and/or short memories.

Even the plainest, most conservative-looking items have styling that will date, eventually and even plain and conservative, itself, is only sometimes considered 'in', after all.

For most people, with an iota of fashion-sense, being lured into buying so-called 'classics' is a double rip-off, as it makes people think that, as long as they buy something really boring-looking, it will never date. :doh: Um, yes it will (rip-off stage 1) and with that money, one could have bought something one really liked, instead of being lumbered with a dull, ubiquitous-looking object one feels fairly neutral about (rip-off stage 2).

At least if one buys something one really likes the look of - whilst it is 'in', one can really enjoy it (instead of feeling neutral) and even when it is deemed 'out', one can store it away, lovingly, for the next time it is 'in'.

People forget, but even the really well-known so-called 'classics', such as Hermes Birkins and Chanel jackets, are often out of style.

During the mid-to-late '90s, in the UK at least, the only people wearing either were older women who didn't care whether they were fashionable, or not.

A far more accurate (but far less lucrative!) description, IMO, would be 'recurring trends'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I partially agree with the possibility of being "duped" by the idea of classics, but if you buy something you love you will wear it with a style that can bring it to life no matter how old it is.

Chloehandbags karma for you!!

I completely agree with you. I've seen so many things go out of style and yet people will kill themselves to spend $$$ with the justification that its 'an investment' that will 'last a lifetime.' A search of completed Ebay auctions shows how bad some Chanel clothing from the 1980s looks now. :sick: And Chanel quilted bags were out for sometime until younger Hollywood celebs started wearing them. A Gucci from the 1990s looks like its from the 1990s.

And the thing with the most conversative clothes is that cuts will change. On the train today I saw a woman who had everything wrong, pants with the wrong cut, top with the wrong colors, wrong style of shoes. It was so "wrong" because it was all really dated. It made her clothes look old even though they looked in good condition. Colors date too. Remember Nancy Regan red? :ninja:

Anyways, still I buy somethings hoping that they'll last until I get my money's worth. My criteria is that I have to love the item and it has to fit into my personal style. Things which last longer then maybe a few seasons are also hard to predit.

the only "classic" items are things like bras, knickers and white tshirts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cstmbres
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->