Ford-less Gucci

Reaction score
I believe the fashion constellation lost one of it's brightest stars. I am going to miss (I already do) Tom Ford's architectural masterpieces like nothing else. Especially after seeing a little preview of the "second-in-command's" (one for womens, one for mens or one for accessories) designs for the Cruise Collection, I believe, in last month's Bazaar. :sick: :cry: :yuk:

3 words: No edge. No identity. Not sexy.

Judging by their debut collection, I will never set foot at Gucci store again; but most importantly, I miss miss Tom Ford forever.

Why can't he start his own label? Anything to stay connected to the fashion world.

Is anyone sharing my pain?

I'm not quite into Tom Ford

But i do love his fw04 collection for YSL

and about Gucci,i dont know.

Originally posted by bergdorf_blonde@Oct 19 2004, 05:16 AM
[snapback]401561[/snapback]​

I'm sure tom ford is... :wink: :innocent:

My hands ache from popping so many champagne corks...

If truth be known I don't really care much for Gucci anyway - it was when YSL was prised from his over-groomed mitts that the real celebrations started...

i think we've witnessed one of the real shifts in modern fashion. i think that the american influence on modern fashion was peaked when not only tom ford stood at the helm of two major european houses, but also kors at celine, and (for his part) jacobs at vuitton. i mean between them alone they controlled almost ten shows a season. it was a good time for our brand of sexiness, minimalism, and nonchalance to rule. we had shows like sex and the city, frazier, even friends, setting major trends worldwide.

it also gave the american consumer a unique connection to fashion. it was like we understood it all. even if we didn't like tom ford, we "got it." we understood the celebrity and all that. fashion with these stars recessed will be slightly less hands-on, but i think that new stars will emerge. i miss tom, but i'm kind of glad he's gone simply bc like yves saint laurent or claude montana or thierry mugler, he will win fans in his absence and his tenure will be appreciated even more in the years to come.

No, I don't miss him. I'm glad he is gone, and hopefully this will mark the end of the trash era.

i guess most of you here know that i'm not a fan of Tom Ford but the last Gucci collection -which i just saw again in detail- is a serious mess, totally boring honestly, its like a rewind zzzz

you need a new designer guys and that's only for Gucci,
Pilati wasnt bad at ysl

Not really Miss Blonde. I think you'll find that alot of people are happy that the fashion fascist and his evil empire is gone!

If only other's would follow suit :innocent:

Originally posted by Scott@Oct 19 2004, 07:59 AM
alot of people are happy that the fashion fascist and his evil empire is gone!

:rofl:

hate tom's designs, gald he is gone

The new designer is doing basiclly the same thing so I don't know what you are upset about, it's still 'sex'.

Although I liked some pieces of the latest Gucci collection, the new designers definitely need to get stuff on a roll. It doesn't really have the Gucci vibe so far.
I would love Tom to start his own label, but I don't think he'll do so anytime soon :(.

Originally posted by BrothaG@Oct 19 2004, 12:45 PM
Although I liked some pieces of the latest Gucci collection, the new designers definitely need to get stuff on a roll. It doesn't really have the Gucci vibe so far.
I would love Tom to start his own label, but I don't think he'll do so anytime soon :(.
[snapback]401810[/snapback]​

he really has no reason to...he's inordinately wealthy and his legacy is already secured thanks to his involvements with both magazine editors and contributions to prominent musuems....i don't think he's got the stamina to start from scratch again.

i never really warmed to hime, i think yves saint laurent was right, tom ford is a good marketer and salesman

I miss Tom at Gucci too! I really love what he did for the line, and he is sexy! I was disapointed with what the new designer did for s/s 2005, it was like she took Tom's past 6 years of work and smushed it into one collection..... I miss Tom Ford at Gucci! I wish he would come up with his own line!

Originally posted by mikeijames@Oct 19 2004, 01:33 PM
he really has no reason to...he's inordinately wealthy and his legacy is already secured thanks to his involvements with both magazine editors and contributions to prominent musuems....i don't think he's got the stamina to start from scratch again.
[snapback]401853[/snapback]​
Absolutely, even though it'd be amazing I suppose he pretty much designed about everything one can design, so he'd better focus on his acting carreer to avoid unnecessary repitition. Perhaps Gucci just needs different designers if the following collections turn out to be as 'non-Gucci' as their last.

Yup, I miss him at Gucci. Regardless of whether he was a designer or not, he gave Gucci a single, identifyable image. Judging from the new collections I feel that that image will be lost. They weren't directional enough and there wasn't the same amount of editing as when Tom was in charge.

he's a natural star and an ambitious multi-media artists. We'll see him, for decades to come, in many incarnations... movies next, I guess. Looking forward to it. People love to hate on the overachievers but I say hate on the haters :brows:

Originally posted by luvkoshi@Oct 19 2004, 12:35 PM
People love to hate on the overachievers but I say hate on the haters :brows:
[snapback]401911[/snapback]​

and some people think the overachivers arn't any good

I don't miss him at all-good riddance I say. I am sick of designers that are more concerned with being celebrities than designing decent clothes. :innocent:

no one would even care about Gucci if it wasn't for Tom Ford. Remember Gucci fashion shows before he came on board? I don't. You may love him (and I do) or hate him, but he revolutionized and revitalized the house. Everybody wanted:

- the red velvet suit with satin shirt
- horsebit loafer
- white jersey cutout dresses
- snake handbag
- satin chinioserie dresses and kimonos
- yellow fur chubby

and countless other pieces that everyone was dying to have. And the ad campaigns were incredible!

Not really Miss Blonde. I think you'll find that alot of people are happy that the fashion fascist and his evil empire is gone!

If only other's would follow suit

Or not :innocent: I am going to miss him. He has done a lot for fashion, and for Gucci, whether people here will admit it or not. No, his clothes aren't for everyone, but for those that covet his creations, he will be missed. I feel your pain :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcad1947
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->