From Whose View Fashion Is Actually Perceived ?

phrantyx

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Zana, and I am a new member.

I am doing an interactive CD-ROM about a Fashion Police who goes around in the streets approaching people with bad fashion taste e.g. too much lace, badly coordinated colors etc.

I am not really fashion-conscious although I believe that what I wear daily never actually hurt anyone's eyes LOL

The question is : from whose view 'badly-dressed' or whatnot is actually perceived from ? Christian ? Fashion designer ? If you approach someone who wears a long frumpy skirt under their very very tight jacket, or seeing someone with flabby thighs wearing a pair if tight cycling pants, they might be asking, "whose view saying that this is not right ? This is MY style !"

I understand that this is a very heavy subject, but I really hope someone could explain to me. It would really help me a lot in understanding more about fashion.

Thanks in advance.

Fashion to me is individuality and part of a culture. In some cultures things that define fasion are designers, magazines/television, models/hollywood and in others Religion my define it. Others develop their own sense of style and go completely away from the pack. It just depends.

As far as the makeover shows - it seems to me that most of those are based on what the magazines/hollywood are saying is fashionable at the moment.

Welcome :flower: to TFS! If you look around you will probably find lots of different ideas etc.

Originally posted by Sloan@Sep 29 2004, 12:01 PM
Fashion to me is individuality and part of a culture. In some cultures things that define fasion are designers, magazines/television, models/hollywood and in others Religion my define it. Others develop their own sense of style and go completely away from the pack. It just depends.

As far as the makeover shows - it seems to me that most of those are based on what the magazines/hollywood are saying is fashionable at the moment.

Welcome :flower: to TFS! If you look around you will probably find lots of different ideas etc.
[snapback]379419[/snapback]​

Thanks !~

woh phrantyx - this is a complex question which deserves some thought/discussion before answering. I'll try & get back to you with some of my ideas once I have had a chance to think it through. Off the top of my head, primarily we are conditioned by culture & religion (to separate the two would be niave). However there are studies which seem to indicate that we are naturally drawn to things symmetrical. as i say I ramble here without having onsidered your question properly. there are lots of good thread here on topics which might be useful so keep looking on this site.

Originally posted by phrantyx@Sep 29 2004, 04:43 PM
/.../ Fashion Police who goes around in the streets approaching people with bad fashion taste e.g. too much lace, badly coordinated colors etc.

/.../ If you approach someone who wears a long frumpy skirt under their very very tight jacket, or seeing someone with flabby thighs wearing a pair if tight cycling pants, they might be asking, "whose view saying that this is not right ? This is MY style !"/.../
[snapback]379264[/snapback]​
Who are YOU to tell ME that I look like crap?!?? :o :shock:

I'd be VERY offended. And not everybody cares about their looks and they even truly believe there is a life without fashion/trends!

*not me though*

Im not sure I understood your question... but I think fashion is IN A VERY BROAD sense an attempt to make people look healthier and more fertile (esp. women). In my oppinion doing something to make you look less healthy would be a fashion mistake.... So wearing horizontal stripes if you are fat is a "fashion mistake" because it makes you look even more fat (unhealthy). I think most people will agree with me on this first kind of "mistake". (for a lack of a better word... don't believe in fashion mistakes myself....)

Most other "fashion mistakes" are purely asthetic. And although art (fashion included!!) is supposed to be a form of free expression there are rules that many people consider golden and they don't like the outcome when they are broken.

Also these "mistakes" can come up because a certain looks have been associated with something that is considered unfavourable by society.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->