So you know fashion, but can you dress yourself?

Looking good depends on so much more than the clothes. The same outfit could look completely different on two different people. It's how you carry to clothes, carry yourself, whether you're comfortable in what you wear and if you know how to dress to flatter you.

I find sometimes that i miss the super critical eye for myself that i can see on others. I think i dress pretty well but sometimes i let myself wear something that if i was looking at someone else i would immediately see that the cut/colour/style was all wrong. (...)

just the same here. i know what looks good but most of the time i can't transfer this look on me.

furthermore, my figure limits me in what i can wear. as my thights are slightly too big, i often can't wear shorts, mini skirts or skinnies as they make me look like the michelin man.:blink: and i'm limited to tops under which you can wear a bra as i definately need it.
so, finally, it all ends up in the jeans-and-cashmere pullover - look. quite boring.

Can I dress myself? Well, I do put the right things on in the right places! Does that count?
In all honesty, I'm a "blah" dresser. I don't dress like everyone else where I live but I'm not noticable. I tend to wear jeans, a shirt, a jacket, and no jewelry. I do love shoes though-flats and bright tennis shoes are my weakness.
I think it'd be great if we all just met up somewhere, wearing our "daily" outfits. I'd def. be the odd one out. I love fashion, but I grew up in a middle class average income family. I live on a budget and I buy a lot of my clothes at places like Ross, Target, and Wal-Mart.
Plus, sometimes the priorities just don't match up. I'm currently getting ready for college (bills!bills!bills!), paying for my own things, and just trying to get by. I go to class in jeans and a t-shirt. I got to school for around 7 hours, I go straight to work, and then it's off to homework/housework. Sometimes there just isn't enough time-I'm too tired.

Can I dress myself? Well, I do put the right things on in the right places! Does that count?

:lol: yes, definitely. you should get credit for that...

and I really agree with your post and everyone in here has valid points. I've been trying a lot harder to so called "dress myself" lately and I must say, I feel a whole lot better :smile:

I try to make sure that i have a few outfits that look good but that i can throw on when i can't be bothered, because sometimes i just can't be bothered.

However...I know that I'm not great at translating my knowledge onto myself. I don't dress badly, but I also don't dress fashionably per se. I wish I did, but I find it very hard to dress myself in the way that I would like. I have look books coming out of my ears, so it's not that I don't know what I like.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone felt like this.
^_^

I'm like this, too!

It's just that most of the things I want are too expensive, and I can't find anything similar at more reasonable prices, and most of the time I just won't "settle" for less.

It doesn't help that it's hard to find what flatters me. It seems that all the trends lately are against me--tunics/empire waist tops/baby doll tops, skinny or wide-legged jeans, etc.

I'm also somewhat afraid of what other people may think--would they think I'm suddenly trying too hard if I've dressed crappy for a long time and become uber-stylish overnight? But hey, I shouldn't care what people think, right?

Mousquerader, other people usually don't care that much about what other people are wearing because they are too busy feeling self-conscious about themselves. I say wear what you want because when your well dressed it makes you feel great!

How much do you apply your fashion interest to your real wardrobe?

Do you think it is physically clear to others that you love fashion, based on how you dress yourself?

To be honest, no one would guess I have such a huge interest in fashion at all! So many SS08 shows made my heart melt, and I'd kill for some of those Versace dresses, but all days I'm in black boots, scruffy jeans and a t-shirt. :huh:

I think it has a lot to do with confidence, self-consciousness and fearing other people's reactions; if I so much as wear a plain dress in this country I would fear getting nasty reactions from guys. :(

haha im far from it .. im like ugly betty lol .. I know whats fashionable... i can put an outfit together i get it all wrong when its on me tho .. skirt sticking up, ladder in tights, threads and material threads all over me from college haha .. I am a walking disaster lol !! im sure you cant be a bad as me huni xx

Mousquerader, other people usually don't care that much about what other people are wearing because they are too busy feeling self-conscious about themselves. I say wear what you want because when your well dressed it makes you feel great!

This is my exact outlook on everyday dressing. I like to take the time and put together an outfit because it makes me feel good overall. I do feel like I am fashionable and that I can put together my clothes well. Although I do feel like I am extremely limited to what I can wear each season, I try to do my best with the college student income i make :lol: but I do have my own individual style and just allow my own personality to come through day to day.
Ive never though myself to be extremely fashionable but people always want me to ship with them and put together outfits for them, so maybe im just alittle to hard on myself lol.

i want to say i can dress myself, my style varies from day to day, if i'm feeling kinda lazy, i'll just wear a tshirt & jeans and if i'm feeling kind of girly and up to it then i'll wear something cute and fun .. it all depends on my mood that day :smile:

i know i can, i know how to, and i know what to buy, the problem for me is that i dont have enough money to update my wardrob the way id like to so i stick to the "generic and comfy look" . i have to say i spend a ton of money on projects and while most of the time the things i sew at school are my size, not every piece is something id wear, its just stuff i have to learn to sew, and dam school just absorbes my money and my time...gees i need to finish school.

I dress up.
If it's going to class, hanging out with my friends or even to the library to study. I'm dressed up, outfit and all. I don't spend a huge time everyday getting ready though. Ideas are always bouncing in my head so I catalogue them and whip 'em out every now and then. I dress up because it's my way of expressing my artistic flair. After University started I don't have time to paint or draw anymore. Clothing has become my new canvas.

There is a huge drawback though, to dressing up everyday. Those special ocssaions don't really seem so special (in regards to clothing) and people take you wearing your best for granted. So, when you do want to get noticed, people just smile and move along.

It kinda sucks but.... *shrugs*

i cannot dress myself at all. i can dress other people but not myself. it's like i need someone else's input on what to wear.

My excuse for not dressing well most of the time (and what a lousy excuse it is) is that I simply do not have a body I'd like to dress. I spend more time fantasizing about the things I'd wear if I were a size 2 than brainstorming what might look best on me now. I do have a pretty strong sense of my own style---I do often come across dresses that make me palpitate and shoes that weaken my knees---and all I can really say is that until I am comfortable within my own skin, I will not be comfortable bringing any attention to my own body with clothing I consider beautiful.

But maybe I wouldn't dress all that differently. We shall see! Still hopeful that someday I will be as slim and confident as I was when I was 18. College helped to ruin all that, but at least I have a decent education (which is always fashionable in my book).

Last edited by a moderator:
technically I can dress myself - I know where certain things go and which way and so on. although occasionally in dark winter mornings I can put on a sweater inside out by accident.

but seriously speaking.... I dress very plainly. I mostly blame it on my work. I work in an industrial manufacturing plant, so it makes absolutely no sense to dress up for work - I've ripped a few pairs of jeans on sharp metal pieces in our warehouse so.... yeah. plus the required footwear (basically slippers) and a labcoat... you get the idea :P

I've always loved shopping but I didn't start becoming painfully aware of how I dressed until I fell into the fashion biz by chance. At first I wanted to fight it but I got sucked in.

Now I'm just trying to get better at styling myself for cheap.

i do think that dressing well in some ways is determined by the type of body shape you have.
and i can see why models are models because clothes simply look better on skinnier people.
i am definitely not skinny so hedi's period dior homme clothes are not so much for me, i do often wish i am waifish though, tall lanky hands and legs.

and i do admire people for looking 'effortlessly chic' although i sometimes wonder if there is such a thing?

i also dont agree with not having enough money as a reason for not being able to look good.
i have seen many students who often shop at second hand thrift shops, vintage shops and turn out looking very good.
maybe they will wear a pair of old chinos with a jacket from old french army or something, probably not costing more than $20 for the whole look and they still look cool.

sometimes i think is also the attitude, certain clothes needs a certain attitude to look good in.

for myself, i sometimes note down the combination of what i think is good and repeat on other days. for eg. a certain sweater should just go with a certain tshirt cos the tshirt has the exact enough length to 'peep' from the sweater. if i dont do this, and if i am in a rush, i may not have time to dress properly, and i seem to be always in a rush :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willxxx
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->