Glenn Martens S/S 2013 Paris

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
20120928_gm_promo1.jpg

Glenn Martens Spring 2013 Campaign
by Katharine K. Zarrella
Published: September 28, 2012

Twenty-nine-year-old Glenn Martens, who will present his sophomore collection in Paris on Sunday, is quite the history buff. He’s obsessed with all things medieval and fascinated by French heritage, and is a veritable expert when it comes to early Flemish painters. One may think it would be difficult to imbue these interests into the fibers of a covetable ready-to-wear collection. Until they see Martens’s spring 2013 collection, of course.

Martens’s fall collection was all about clean, complex construction (which was rooted in his background in architecture). His silhouettes were plays on those found in Flemish artwork and the clothes were at once easy and sophisticated. The designer expands on this for spring, putting forth structured looks with surprise details. For example, cropped pants reveal sheer chiffon panels when they move and miniskirts are hidden beneath what look like long origami wings. A demure white maxi dress in crinkle silk is toughened up with architectural layers and cut outs, and the structured layers of a champagne duchess satin workwear trench are cinched with a matching belt.

The designer experiments with new fabrics this season, the most interesting of which are a netted wool (which looks particularly cool on a bomber vest) and a bronze tweed made from recycled plastic. “I think that we often think something is beautiful because of our own subjectivity. But if you just look from a different point of view, you can find beauty in anything. That’s why I went for some fabrics that normally I’m not a fan of,” explained the designer. His cream denim pieces, like an impeccable top with shoulder zips and volume in all the right places, were also crisp and clever. But it’s Martens’s prints that are especially intriguing.

This season, Martens developed a seemingly organic print out of fractured images of the work of Flemish Primitive artists, like Jan van Eyck. “I cut out parts of the dresses from their paintings and made them into prints,” said Martens, pointing out a remnant of an artist’s rending of brocade. Martens also collaborated with Toby de Silva, a British photographer based in China, on a series of abstracted skull prints. The images, which feature eerie skulls atop gems and gold, were spawned out of de Silva’s series “Immoral,” which was inspired by Roman martyrs. “I’m a child of the ’90s, so I really like to work with this strong elegance and then clash it against something that’s a little bit disgusting,” said Martens, noting the contrast between his soft, feminine satins or silks and the Doc Martens shoes he plans to pair with each look is a perfect example of said clash.

Martens will debut his collection this Sunday at Le Chapelle Expiatoire, a 19th-century chapel dedicated to Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI. Naturally, thanks to his fondness for history, the designer is thrilled to be showing in the landmark. “The idea is to discover the collection while you walk around the space,” said the Martens, expressing a particular interest in the chapel’s crypt. He may be interested in the past, but his forward-thinking designers will indeed appeal to a savvy, contemporary woman.

*image and article-artinfo.com

P1670273%20glenn%20martens_1500_0_resize_90.jpg

P1670189%20glenn%20martens_1500_0_resize_90.jpg

P1670213%20glenn%20martens_1500_0_resize_90.jpg

P1670214%20glenn%20martens_1500_0_resize_90.jpg

*images from purple.fr

backstage-

6a00d8341c76e453ef017c323ff21f970b-pi
6a00d8341c76e453ef017c323ff24c970b-pi

6a00d8341c76e453ef017d3c6e3242970c-pi
6a00d8341c76e453ef017c323ff2d3970b-pi

6a00d8341c76e453ef017c323ff35c970b-pi
6a00d8341c76e453ef017d3c6e3365970c-pi

*ashadedviewonfashion.com

this was a proper installation....like those we haven't seen in some years. the collection is wonderful. i recently have discovered his work and i am taken. brings back memories of the Y2K years in antwerp.

Never heard of him before but that cream dress got me scrolling up and down in fascination. Despite the obvious references to yes, the 90s, but also a more late 80s silhouette, this is one of the few collections I've seen this season that manages to convey a very modern kind of youthfulness most designers have been trying to achieve (with not so good results) lately.. there's an interest in elegance and precision, and contrast and the idea/hope that this conservative approach to an otherwise era of excess somehow rebels against the everything-goes fashion a child of the 90s, as he calls himself, has been raised with. At least that's what I'm inevitably attracted to as well, something I was mentioning earlier in the Saint Laurent thread and how that rock n' roll vibe ironically feels older than this.

What makes this stand out is how honest it looks.. reminds me of Bruno Pieters and makes me miss him even more.

^oddly enough glenn happens to be a former assistant to bruno pieters :wink:

you know,it reminded of those years with some of the belgians...the international set that was invading paris during that time(like wendy & jim and the bless girls)....the spirit of it all...like when they were kind of inspired by youth culture....and then some elements indeed conjured up images of bruno and even early works of haider,especially in the materials and overall technique.

btw,i was also reading diane's blog about this yesterday,and in terms of the presentation i found it rather refreshing right now. it was an installation but it was one of those installations where visitors could walk through very casually,even have conversations in the midst of it....it immediately made me think of jurgi's presentations.

^ it'd be amazing if more room opened up again for young designers as fashion, now more than ever, feels incredibly sterile, which is mostly due to the lack of new blood imo, the fact that people that are in their 'youth' right now aren't given outlets to provide an input and inject that perspective into fashion. Not being ageist, I just think that what you absorb as a generation definitely projects and understands things in a kind of specific light that can hardly be imitated.

The silver (??) dress with a bit of skirt (so poorly articulated today :lol:) showing definitely gives the Pieters influence away. It's bittersweet.

i saw robin schulie earlier posting his bemusement with how paris has transpired this week....even lambasting how commercial the young designers have now become even in paris and even those showing from other bases. it's a strange time and i wish designers would find a way to use this current environment to their advantage but they all seem like they're caving into it all. we seriously and truly need more creative spirits again....more ambivalence. and not just those that do crazy gimmicky things and expect us all to fall for it but something really thoughtful,thought-provoking and innovative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wellsantoss
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->