GOSSIP:Munch's Famous 'Scream,' 'Madonna' Stolen

I'm quite sure that many collectors would buy it on the black market.

honestly there aren't many collectors who would buy it for a very high sum and then keep it in a dark cellar all for themseves. for most people that buy a real munch/rembrant whatever is one of the best aspects of it to be boost. believ me this are facts. my aunt is specialized on stolen art, it's her job, so that's were I get my info. besides I myself work part-time for a museum.

so either the pictures will appear in a few years when the thieves realize it's impossible to sell them or artnapping - but this would no museum admit officialy

Well they could never sell this piece on the black market. "The Scream" has an estimated worth of around 60 million Euros. The "Madonna" is valued at around 12 million.

Last time "The Scream" was stolen was back in '94 just before the opening of the Lillehammer winter games. The thieves left a card which read : "thanks for the bad security." :D

There are many versions of "The Scream" though.

That's a joke...... it says it'll be given out for free and that it doesn't have frames etc. Someone taking the mickey !

Originally posted by étoiledunord@Aug 22 2004, 04:05 PM
Terrible news...... Hope they catch the thieves !!

398787.jpeg

398819.jpeg

[snapback]341990[/snapback]​

just like that , eh? right there in the daylight....... :angry:

:shock: :o :angry: :cry:

Originally posted by college girl@Aug 23 2004, 03:27 AM
honestly there aren't many collectors who would buy it for a very high sum and then keep it in a dark cellar all for themseves. for most people that buy a real munch/rembrant whatever is one of the best aspects of it to be boost. believ me this are facts. my aunt is specialized on stolen art, it's her job, so that's were I get my info. besides I myself work part-time for a museum.

so either the pictures will appear in a few years when the thieves realize it's impossible to sell them or artnapping - but this would no museum admit officialy
[snapback]342310[/snapback]​
That's true. Although there are a few collectors who only do it for personal satisfaction.

I noticed that you were in Vienna. Á high repository of culture such as Gustav Klimt, and Joseph Maria Olbricht.

Hum ... I only hope its recovered in EXCELLENT CONDITIONS and that nothing happenned to any of the paintings ...
about the security issue .. I'm starting to notice more and more the low-security standards on museums ... it seems that decades of movies has inflicted a false security-system idea on the masses. Just remember how the Mona Lisa was stolen and look aroung museums on your town ... once I was at this one and I could have perfectly walk away with this Picasso drawing that was on the Reception's desk (twas there cuz the frame was going to be repaired) ... there was NO ONE around and no cameras!

I almost bought a picasso this past weekend... but I passed. :ninja:

didn't know if it was real and didnt wanna take the chance.

the problem is that museums are losing money all the time, there arent as many people going to lesser known museums on a regular basis. (or so says my art history teacher last semester)

Dunno why really... since the Louvre has like a mile long line outside and tons of security, you'd think people would take a chance and venture off their regular routes.

I'm just hoping that they will recover it in good condition. It's a great work of art.

That is phenomenal. You would think paintings like that would be under better security.

Oh well, let's just hope the thieves appreciate fine art.

It's funny to think artists are practically paupers in life, and posthumously, their works are stolen.

I'm sure the people who stole it already have a buyer. Why else would they risk it? They'll probably only get a small fraction of what it is worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebbbbty
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->