Gucci Cruise 2025 London

By BOF
14 May 2024
BoF PROFESSIONAL

LONDON — “Who is Sabato De Sarno?” asks a 20-minute curio currently screening on MUBI. It introduces Gucci’s new creative director as he presents his first collection after eight years of fireworks from his predecessor Alessandro Michele. Here we are, barely eight months, another three collections and big-budgeted presentations later, and you’d think that by now we should have a pretty good idea of what the answer to that question might be.
So here goes:
Sabato is stubborn. The collection he showed on Monday night in London was the work of a designer doubling down in the face of the criticism his efforts have generated so far (Gucci’s parent company Kering’s stock market woes probably the pointiest).

Sabato is sanguine. Everything about his post-show demeanour radiated “job well done” even as the grumbles grow.

Sabato is sentimental. He saw his show as a debt repaid to London, not just for what he considers to be the city’s longtime support for him personally, but also for the inspirational opportunities it offered Guccio Gucci a century ago.

Sabato’s sentimentality actually provided his show’s most uplifting moment when “The Power of Love” by Frankie Goes to Hollywood played out at the finale. Anyone who has had to emotionally reconstitute themselves at the heartbreaking climax of Andrew Haigh’s “All of Us Strangers” would have appreciated that song playing in the presence of the film’s stars Andrew Scott and Paul Mescal, who were De Sarno’s guests on Monday. Pardon that inside-baseball moment, but I found the confluence more moving than the show itself.

The last time Gucci showed in London was Cruise 2017. The venue was Westminster Abbey, a splendidly arcane match for Michele’s skewiff fever dream of fashion. A witchy angel sang Scarborough Fair. Sabato De Sarno chose the Tanks at Tate Modern, a different kind of cathedral, stark, shadowy, post-industrial. A different kind of angel too: Debbie Harry in the front row and on the soundtrack singing “Heart of Glass” remixed with Philip Glass in a pairing that seemed quintessentially New York, enough so that it raised the spectre of Harry’s past connection with Coach, a comparison which didn’t do De Sarno’s collection many favours, and especially incongruous in the light of his stated love affair with London. But, in the same way that Coach has pinned down a particular kind of urban spirit for New York, De Sarno’s wayward women managed to evoke a slightly unkempt tomboy quality that was vaguely recognisable as London-ish, even if its energy was challenged by the show’s draggy pacing.

If I read the shownotes right (never guaranteed), De Sarno was seeing this show as the culmination of a trilogy: desirability, sensuality, and now the double whammy of romance and contradiction. The romance I wasn’t getting, the contradiction was plain to see. Duality can be a bit of an easy option, and so it was here. You stick lilac and mustard together and presto!

But I set to thinking about a young Italian guy in London — Guccio, Sabato — escaping the strictures of Catholic Italy, released into London’s tumult of contrasts. The freedom! And suddenly, there it all was. A fluoro green lace bra under a white poplin shirt! A pink duchesse bustier topping a cascading fringe of green bugle beads in a plaid pattern! Delicate organza daisies weighed down by a black leather donkey jacket! A lime green organza p*ssy bow over brown suede microshorts! (Which seem to be Sabato’s signature piece.) And those plissé fishtails at the end. Even if their floatiness was anchored by huge leather blousons, there was still a sense of freedom, to challenge conventional taste for sure. (So much brown suede.) And forget those chunky platform loafers Sabato’s been showing. Now he likes a black leather brothel creeper with Gucci-striped white socks.

I’m almost seduced. The perplexing thing is, I might have a better idea of who Sabato De Sarno is as a person, but I still can’t work out where he stands as a designer, or who he intends his designs for.

The vast concrete Tanks were swaddled in a mass of greenery. Man and nature. Duality in its most elemental form. Maybe I should just shut up and swallow the metaphor.

Yeah, there’s a lack of focused vision, of message.
Even the decision to show in London…

The collection is very La Dolce Vita in a sense: ballet flats, easy silhouettes. This collection should have been shown in Portofino or that type of destination. It should have been only about the ballet flats and not those dated creepers.

A lot of looks should have been edited out but most of all, there are 2 different women walking this runway. And it makes the whole thing even less convincing.

Gucci needs a better casting too. Alessandro could afford a casting of nobodies when he did grand shows or weird gimmicks but Ancora man is not that type of guy.

His clothes are not special enough and don’t have anything substantial to say in terms of culture or creativity that he needs that extra layer of glamour on his shows!

With the sleepy music on top? Oh it’s a mess!

But, I think that if Kering does things well, this collection has items (ballet flats & Jackie) that could help the brand.

Its not the worst collection every shown, there ar epieces that everyday people will wear and look expensive and the flowy Valentino-esque closing looks aren't bad. The problem is you have to search real hard for the decent pieces in a sea of questionable looks that lack balance. Waiting to see them in the real world styled by stylish people.

There's something so off about his choice of colours. Those pastels are putrid, and make me think of cheap home brand ice cream. So many stores (high end to high street) are pushing these shades though, and there's a modicum of some retail appeal here as it is so dull and digestible.

He does happen to choose the most emotionless shades and fabrications so nothing has much substance or even longevity to them. It all ends up looking so run of the mill. The collection is just a strange series of Jane Birkin knock offs in Chloe or Biba running around 60s to early 70s SoHo with a vacant look on their face. It's obvious and one dimensional, which is fine, they just need to stop making it seem like it way more profound than it really is.

I mean, even Ford, Giannini and Alessandro to an extent didn't attempt to extrapolate their Gucci this far to push it. They just committed and went for it.

I'm also still really confused with where this fits in with the rest of his Gucci image wise. I know it is just a pre-collection, but every new thing presented or released by/under him I get more and more lost as to what he is trying to do. I'm still trying to figure out where that Daria campaign fits in with his Gucci world, alongside the store revamps...

This is Gucci Paris x Chloe, not Gucci Londra. How do you copy the most praised collection from last season and expect people to not notice it? The solid, utilitarian outerwear with the soft transparent fabrics. Sabato, we're not dumb. All the decorations, prints fail to impress too.

The presentation has to be one the saddest ever. The funeral music, the slow walk. They could at least tell the models to smile and pose but I know that's a mortal sin in "intellectual" fashion (I put it in quotes, don't kill me).

I saw the Bloomberg video about Gucci and it's hard to see how this collection is going to push the brand forward. They don't have a new strong candidate for a classic - the ballet flats? - and the fashion side is a total derivation of a french brand and Michele's leftovers.

Also some fabrics look like cardboard. This looks so heavy.

Shoot…. I was looking forward to seeing his signature meme of hugging himself swaying rapturously like a 13yo girl who’s found Jesus at Christian camp to “The Power of Love”, but no sadly no dice...

Was hoping there would be pics posted by now so I didn’t;t have to watch the show (that looks like it was shown by the staircase of some random underground parking lot where sad vegetation still grew left unchecked, instead of the Tate LOL). And just as the random, generic setting, his Gucci is essentially any given department-store’s in-house label interpreting all the trends of the moment— mixed with outlet basics. It’s all just so nondescript, gentrified fashions for in terms of design. It’s Zara with no personality but a hefty pricetag (with the last sherbet looks of anorak worn over flowing chiffon trains being the suburban department store versions of Tom Ford’s Gucci when Tom had mink lined nylon parkas worn over layers of flowing chiffon gowns)). At least the garments look well-constructed, unlike a certain DIY-beginner at McQueen… Eh. These are such basic b!tches LMFAO

It is a disservice to himself to show this in London. This could have been shown in Milan or perhaps Como. The clothes are not as offensive as the styling. The way everything was styled make it even more boring. The bags and shoes are getting stronger. But with this kind of direction, it's not going to inspire people to walk into their stores.

Taking the bows as if he had just saved the world lmfao, I wish I possessed such confident attitude in life.

Louis Vuitton Cruise show in Barcelona upcoming will eat these damn things alive, can't wait !!!

By BOF
I’m almost seduced. The perplexing thing is, I might have a better idea of who Sabato De Sarno is as a person, but I still can’t work out where he stands as a designer, or who he intends his designs for.

The vast concrete Tanks were swaddled in a mass of greenery. Man and nature. Duality in its most elemental form. Maybe I should just shut up and swallow the metaphor.

this is everything I needed. case closed

Mmmm yes sabato is unlikable. Hes honestly tho perfect for the younger client. Hes kinda just like them. Extremely out of touch and obscure but swearing they are modernity

Bringing obscure actors from some basic b*tch gay movie screams never had sh*t energy.

I agree that the location did the collection a huge disservice, and I’m intrigued by the fact that no one in the team saw this. It would have worked so much better in a more romantic setting somewhere in Italy than a vast concrete bunker in London. There really seems to be no clear opinion about anything, just slapdash decisions constantly going into different directions. How this is possible in a brand as important and colossal as Gucci I have no idea.

I hate to have to take up for Sabato but for people complaining about him smiling and being happy, do you expect him to come out for his bow like a wallflower and exhibit insecurities. That would be a worse look.

He likely knows that he is in over his head, suffering from imposter syndrome and was offered the opportunity of a lifetime.

It's such a silly critique.

If Alastair McKimm does not have black clothes, he does not know how to style at all. Such an overrated stylist…

Funny enough he styled Saint Laurent, BV and now at Gucci... their first couple of seasons
I wonder why? Maybe he knows someone at Kering?

front page of the mobile site. This venue with the plants is so ugly :shock: not sure how serving “under a bridge” is going to elevate the brand…

1715715391663.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gxsd
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->