H&M cancels Kate Moss campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I think H&Mshould take the stance that the paparazzi and the tabloids should respect Kate and other celebs privacy, however I suppose would not be terribly popular....:(

Last edited by a moderator:
helena said:
jadee you are right there is a hypocracy in the tabloid press. But I think there is a legitimate public interest in knowing the truth about this girl who is sooo influential to young women. You just need to look at the posts here to see how much people adore her....but she is an illusion and she isn't a good role model. I do think people should know the truth. Thats why I don't think any claim that her privacy was breached will wash.

As I said before with priviledge comes responsibility.
I agree with you. And I think that her problems are caused with Pete...

Really? I thought they'd decided to keep her. Oh well, if she quits her coke habit, she won't need the extra cash anyway :wink:

The whole incident is one big advertisement for cocaine, H & M wouldn't have suffered but in my opinion, it'll be the dealers that benefit in the end!

whoa I just read that they were keeping her. strange. oh well.

If she really felt she had a problem though, she would go into rehab. Instead she keeps denying it. Which is fine but as aforementioned, there are ramifications.

helena said:
jadee you are right there is a hypocracy in the tabloid press. But I think there is a legitimate public interest in knowing the truth about this girl who is sooo influential to young women. You just need to look at the posts here to see how much people adore her....but she is an illusion and she isn't a good role model. I do think people should know the truth. Thats why I don't think any claim that her privacy was breached will wash.

As I said before with priviledge comes responsibility.

Hmm ... I'm not sure about our "right" to invade people's private life.
From a legal point of view it can be accepted but from a moral point of view it can't .

I think I understand what you're saying about people adoring a celebrity who show a false image of herself but isn't it the job of a model to project an illusion?

It reminds me of Racine:
"Je ne méritais, ni cet excès d'honneur, ni cette
indignité "

which I badly translate into:
"I didn't deserve this excess of honors nor this indignity."
What they did is sick IMO. If I had presonal problems I wouldn't want to be exposed in public for people to juge me.

Of course she isn't a good role model but when did she claim she was a role model?
Why should she be a role model?
Because she's rich and famous?
Is it morally wrong to have weaknesses when you're rich and famous?
I don't think we look up to celebrities for morallity.
All I ask from a model is being good at modelling.
And that's all we should do in an ideal world.

Of course I say "we" a lot because I include myself .I'm no angel. I'm wondering about all this too.

ETA: thank you Iluvjeisa. I like to read your posts.
You sounds wise to me.:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently the Daily Mirror has also published an article detailing sex escapades as well, and maybe that was instrumental in H+Ms decision as well?

Sounds like the Mirror is leading an all-out assault on Kate after she won that case against them earlier (the drug-coma thing)

i know she's made some "wrong" decisions, and i think the only reason that they are wrong is because she has a daughter, but the way this tabloid is going after her is SICK

I know i contributed to it, but this is REALLY not the thread to debate the celebrity as a role model issue (which I have a feeling we won't be able to solve at tfs) so let's stick to discussing H&M possibly cancelling Kate.

It would be a pity if that was true! Though I think they're maybe right. Kate is really 'down' at the moment. She doesn't even look as good as she usually does.

If it is true I hope it will help her to realize that she does really bad thing... and that it destroys her.

It IS true, it's all over the news, and also in the "serious" papers. This is not speculation.

I think it's amazing how some of you glorify Kate all the time. If there was any other person i'm sure many of you wouldnt feel the same way. Can anyone honestly say she doesnt deserve this? In which jobs can you be caught doing drugs, and still not be fired?

HauteFashion said:
H&M have dropped her from their lucrative advertising campaign (Breaking News from Sky)

Well its her fault she is incredibly stupid. Her and Pete can die crackheads together.

The sad part is for her baby daughter. According to this morning news on BBC the father is apparently going to file for custody??

As a role model I agree that this isn't appropriate behavior. But her sin is that she got caught. I'ts hypocritical because some of the other top models could do drugs also, but are more discreet. So to say, replace her with a better role model; it's just a matter of the public's perception. We really don't know.

But I guess perception is reality.

I'm not surprised either. What will be interesting to see is if any of the luxury brands follow suit and drop Kate. I think it will be unecessary if they did because unlike Hennes they don't have that popular teenage following to protect.

Kate Moss dropped by H&M

Not sure if thread has already been started. If so, then it can merge...

this story is hardly surprising to be fair:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000102&sid=aENGYR2DrQ0Q&refer=uk

Sept. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Kate Moss was dropped today from an advertising campaign for Hennes & Mauritz AB, Europe's largest clothing chain, after pictures in the Mirror newspaper last week purported to show her snorting lines of cocaine.

``H&M will cancel the planned advertising campaign with model Kate Moss,'' the Stockholm-based company said today in an e- mail. ``H&M is strongly against drugs and for many years has supported the drug preventing organization Mentor Foundation.''

Moss, 31, has appeared on the front pages of British newspapers since the Mirror published the allegations Sept. 15, prompting debate about her work contracts and relationship with musician Pete Doherty, a former crack cocaine user. The model, who had earlier expressed regret to H&M about the scandal, also works for Chanel, Burberry Group Plc and Christian Dior.

Paula Karaiskos, a spokeswoman for the Storm model agency, which represents Moss, wasn't available. Gerard Tyrell, a lawyer at Harbottle & Lewis LLP who's previously represented her, didn't immediately return a call seeking comment. A campaign with Moss is inconsistent with the H&M's dissociation with drugs, spokeswoman Liv Asarnoj said in an interview today.

Moss was due to model for the Stella McCartney collection, a collaboration announced between the company and designer for the fall 2005 season. McCartney in May agreed to design a women's wear collection of around 40 items to be produced and distributed by H&M under the label ``Stella McCartney for H&M.''

Calvin Klein

A spokesman for London-based Burberry declined to comment. Julie Le-Belvec, a Chanel spokeswoman, said Moss's private life isn't ``our concern.'' Dior officials couldn't be reached.

H&M opened its first store in 1947 and today has 400 stores and operates in 22 countries. The retailer plans to open as many as 90 new stores this year, primarily in the U.S., Germany, the U.K., Spain and Poland. It plans to present its 2005 autumn collection live from Central Park.

Moss, best known for her work for Calvin Klein, was first spotted as a teenager by the founder of Storm while walking through John F. Kennedy airport in New York. The model's so- called ``waif'' look and boyfriends including actor Johnny Depp brought her worldwide fame. She has an estimated fortune of 30 million pounds, according to the Observer newspaper.

The model on July 27 won a ``substantial sum'' in damages from the Sunday Mirror over an article that claimed she collapsed into a cocaine-induced coma in Barcelona in 2001.

Moss is a ``tremendous champion of British fashion,'' said John Wilson, head of the British Fashion Council, in an interview with Channel Four news. ``We wish her very well. Fashion companies have to take their own decision on this.''

London Fashion Week started in the capital Sept. 18.

Meg said:
If she really felt she had a problem though, she would go into rehab. Instead she keeps denying it. Which is fine but as aforementioned, there are ramifications.

One of the key components of addiction is denial. Most addicts will tell you they were the "last to know" they had a problem. While their problem is obvious to others, the denial component of addiction keeps the addict using long past "recreational" use and many times into death.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cstmbres
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->