Harley Weir - Photographer

Unknownpleasures

Reaction score
Harley is a young photographer that I really like right now. She has worked for magazines such as Husk, Grit, Citizen K and i-D.
In an interview model George Barnett mentioned her as one of his favorite photographers.
I'm really in love with her photography. Her work has a very cinematic , young feeling a little similar to Nan Goldin's work.Harley usually works with film cameras.

"Cat Power"
Model: Kasia Wrobel
Fashion stylist: Camilla Pole

harleyweir.com and models.com

True Romance
Photography and Film: Harley Weir
Styling: Raphael Hirsch
Model: Dempsey Stewart @ Union
Hair: Tomohiro Roku Roppongi
Make up: Tomohiro Muramatsu using MAC

i-donline.com

The film

:heart::heart:

via wilhelmF

She really has a way to create an atmosphere, often eerie and provocative.

Interview for Kaltblut Magazine, Collection 1.

HARLEY WEIR!
PEOPLE LOOK MORE INTERESTING NAKED!

Harley Weir is a genius from London. Nobody else deserved more to be on our Collection 01 than she did. The brilliance with which she captures the nude body is breathtaking, be it analog or digital, she is the one who masters the medium producing such strong images but of incredible sensitivity.

For her shooting and shooting nude people is a whole magical process and not only a photograph. But of course, she knows how to please the crowd and she is aware of her skills. We had an interview with her to find out more about this photography mastermind.

KALTBLUT: You shoot lots of different people. How do you decide who to shoot?

Harley: I see amazing faces everywhere but I like to shoot people that are around me, partly due to cowardice\laziness but mostly because you get a much more intimate photograph. The more relaxed the person is the more interesting it gets, I find. Personal images are always the most beautiful, unfortunately.

KALTBLUT: We’ve noticed you shoot a lot of nature elements, such as flowers, cactus, fruit, snakes, birds etc. Is it for the sheer beauty or do you see some symbolism in them?

Harley: Flowers are very sexy, they are designed to be, they’re reproductive organs. I can’t help but be attracted to them as metaphors in that way, I find them quite funny.

Birds are something else though, I have thousands of bird pictures stashed away… I enjoy the bird watching element, looking for the different breeds creeping up and trying to shoot them (with camera not gun) before they fly away, very satisfying.

KALTBLUT: How is it working with mixed media? You paint a lot on photographs and it gives them a special and unique quality. How did this begin?

Harley: I like to work on them in the same way a re-toucher would in photoshop… I don’t see why a photograph is so different to other artistic mediums. It doesn’t have to just be a file.

KALTBLUT: How do you work with light on skin in the studio or from natural sources?

Harley: I love working with natural light…. There’s nothing like afternoon sunlight but obviously I live in London so that’s not always a regular occurrence. I experiment with anything around, house lamps, flash, hmi, tungsten whatever I can get my hands on… no method there.

KALTBLUT: How has your work evolved over the years? Do you see it changing? Is it always basically the same? What is the backbone of it?

Harley: I think it changes all the time. I love experimenting and I’m introducing digital into my work at the moment, which everyone will hate to hear but one must embrace the future! I’m not very good at it yet but I’m finding ways to make it my own.

My work will always be changing but it will always be me taking the photo so I don’t think it will ever change that much.

KALTBLUT: How is it working with nudity? Are most people willing to play along? What advantages does it offer you?

Harley: Some people become very venerable but others are totally comfortable being nude, it creates a completely different atmosphere depending on the person and my relationship to them. Then there are the ethics involved when working with another, it’s quite an odd situation to put yourself into, the power you have over the model, their willingness to offer themselves to the camera and peoples odd obsession with looking at them. Thinking about who should have the rights over the image is enough to make me feel quite guilty. Especially when you’re not working with models. I try not to think about it too much though or I couldn’t do it, best to think of it flatly- I love to look at nudes as does everyone else. People look more interesting naked and it’s always gonna be a crowd pleaser, our main ambition is to s.e.x, so any reminder and you have an audience!

Interview by Amanda M. Jansson and Emma E. K. Jones
kaltblut-magazine

Grit A/W 2011 - Kansas Dolls
Photographer: Harley Weir
Stylist: John William
Grooming: Bea Sweet
Model: Yuri Pleskun

gritmagazine.co.uk, beasweet.com

Test Winter 2011
"Lovely Creature"
Stylist: Raphael Hirsch
Hair: Tomohiro Roku Roppongi
Make-up: James Timothy
Model: Henrietta Hellberg

noirfacade.livejournal

+ Male models: Dominic Nutt, Richie Cotterell

Under/Current #6
"Ambit Dreaming"
Stylist: Max Clark
Model: James Smith

steelmachines.wordpress

I think this is her with George Barnett :crush:
tumblr_m49w0zMSMG1qzdll0o1_500.jpg

Photography by Martha Boxley

martaboxley.com

Stella McCartney for Adidas

These are beautiful, commercially driven but doesn't compromise Harley's touch, and the project itself is inspiring!

adidas launches a limited UK collection, adidas My 2012, capturing the energy and celebrations surrounding the 30th summer Olympic Games, held in London later this summer. Under the creative direction of Stella McCartney, the collection displays the spirit of the Games in a unique style celebrating London as the host city.

The campaign is a true celebration of the diverse talent, personality, and style of young British Women. Stella chose a group of young women to be filmed and photographed by Harley Weir in a series of compelling ‘screen tests’ that capture what it is like to write your name in 2012.

Stella McCartney, ‘The concept behind this particular collection with adidas was to project the energy of the Olympic year and to inspire young women to engage in sports and events surrounding the Olympics and we see this collection as a wonderful way to mark this very special occasion.’

What’s your 2012?

In order below,
Alex-Rose, Actress
Adwoa, Filmmaker and Musician
Camila, Make up Artist and Writer
Cerise, Biochemist and Mother
Hannah, Student and Model
Kesowa, Student
Sophie, Geographer and Student
Letty, Photographer, Art Director, and Creator of 'hot & cold' magazine
Sophie, Artist
Pinky, Artist and Singer

stellamccartney.co.uk

The Green Soccer Journal #3
"Hands of England"

HW_GSJ_HANDS1.jpg
HW_GSJ_HANDS2.jpg
HW_GSJ_HANDS3.jpg

mini-title

Used Magazine #3
"Don't Look Now"
Grooming: James Timothy
Model: Sacha Mbaye

usedmagazine.co.uk

b Store Magazine #6
"You're Still in a Dream"
Stylist: Isabella Goumall
Models: Aleksandra Marczyk & Erik Andersson

mini-title

Inspired by our Archive Icon of the month, the inimitable Pet Shop Boys, photographer Harley Weir presents us with an exclusive series of images, aptly bringing together boys and pets. The self-taught Weir has established herself as someone not afraid of experimentation with her work and in this series we see an intimacy and honesty combined with her dry sense of humour. Harley has previously shot for the likes of Undercurrent, Citizen K, B Store and TEST, focusing both on fashion and music portraiture and editorial.

District MTV - Pet Shop Boys
Grooming: Kota Suizu
Models: Abe Morris, Anders Hayward, Nahel Dria, O'Shea Robertson, Freddy, Isaac, Theo

districtmtv.co.uk

Metal #28 F/W 12.13
"Fall/Winter 2012-2013"
Women's styling: Raquel García
Men's styling: Santi Rodríguez
Models: Charlotte Grace @ Union, Ana G @ Premier, Kitty @ Select, Aaron Vernon @ DL
Women's make- up: Isamaya Ffrench
Men's grooming: Hiroshi Matsushita
Charlotte & Ana's hair: Roku Roppongi
Kitty's hair: Hiroshi Matsushita

revistametal

Dazed & Confused January 2013
"Horse Play"
Styling: Agata Belcen
Make-up: Nami Yoshida
Set design: Petra Storrs
Model: Elena Bartels

petrastorrs