Harvey Weinstein Confirms Revival of Charles James

Creative

Reaction score
Georgina Chapman will be the designer. :sick::ninja:

After Monday night’s Met Gala, rumors broke that Harvey Weinstein—media mogul and husband to Marchesa designer Georgina Chapman—was in talks to revive the Charles James label, whose founding designer is, of course, the subject of this year’s Costume Institute exhibition, Charles James: Beyond Fashion, opening on May 8. I had hoped the rumors were just that, and that James’ artistic legacy would not be muddied by modern interpretations and production pressures. However, Weinstein has now confirmed that he has inked a deal to license the house with the option to buy. “Charles James was one of the most incredible couturiers in the history of fashion, and this label deserves to be a household name in the same ranks as Chanel, Dior, and Oscar de la Renta,” he said in a statement. Ms. Chapman and her brother, Marchesa CEO Edward Chapman, will serve as creative consultants.

No doubt, it will be interesting to see where the trio takes the label, but the revival won’t be easy. In order to honor James’ vision, the new designs will need to be thoroughly forward-thinking, impeccably handcrafted, and not overtly referential. After all, James was obsessed with the future and disapproved of nostalgia. “There is no going back,” he’s quoted as saying. “Study the past to know why, not what, and from the why, dream and do.” Weinstein and the Chapmans will need to heed these words if they’re to bring the brand back with integrity. Here’s hoping the revival succeeds in making James a household name for the right reasons.

—Katharine K. Zarrella

style.com

well that's nepotism at full throttle. i guess we can all expect this to be mainly celeb driven.

Just the thought of the word "couturiers" escaping Harvey's lips. :P

I actually have a soft spot for him.
And her.
I do like and admire them for what they do, from the little I know.

Just not for this.

I have no idea how this is going to be pulled off.

I think Georgia is a decent designer, she succeeds really well in her niche of red carpet gowns, at times brilliantly. But yeah, this is a very pointless vanity project. James' legacy is a very heavy one, few people could have the ability to take it and make it into something that feels relevant and non costume-y, and she's certainly not one of them.

I think Georgia is a decent designer, she succeeds really well in her niche of red carpet gowns, at times brilliantly. But yeah, this is a very pointless vanity project. James' legacy is a very heavy one, few people could have the ability to take it and make it into something that feels relevant and non costume-y, and she's certainly not one of them.

"Vanity project" is the perfect way to sum this up. There is a remote chance that they'll be able to accurately channel James in a way that will satisfy his legacy, this is just a move to generate publicity and ride on the coattails of a legend.

what's with him...
first halston, now this...

fashion houses are not to be treated like real estate...
this is not a fixer upper to be bought, renovated and then sold to the highest bidder...

show some respect for peoples' work, for crying out loud...
sigh...

Georgina Chapman? I don't really care about her point of view nor do I hate her as a designer but I think she's in WAY over her head.

It also puts the exhibit in a whole new light, almost as if this was something in the works for longer than we know between Wintour and Weinstein (that being the revival of the house). The show feels like a really weak attempt to drum up some press for an old fashion house that someone wanted to revive.

Between Dior and now Charles James, I'm feeling like Zac Posen is very close to being put under suicide watch! However, am I :ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja: for thinking with his devotion to the Golden Hollywood era, he would be better suited for this?

Between Dior and now Charles James, I'm feeling like Zac Posen is very close to being put under suicide watch! However, am I :ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja: for thinking with his devotion to the Golden Hollywood era, he would be better suited for this?

:heart::heart::heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thehousedownboots
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->