Hippie and/or Bohemian Chic

Kimkhuu

Reaction score
I am so falling in love with that style, you know the style that goes slightly vintage, but is still "clean" and feminine..... I just love it! :heart: I am slowly moving into that direction when buying cloths. The style I am going for, is not 100% hippie, it's just really really slightly hippie ; big sunglasses, delicate white headband, big vintage earrings, big hobo bags (not leather though).... ...all these elements kept clean and simple.

What do you think of that style or even (probably) trend ?

i've been dressing like this for years...on and off;...

i think i've decided that i'm going for the full on bohemian-pirate look for the rest of the summer... :P :flower:

Aren't hippie and bohemian two different things?

Bohemian, to me, is essentially black leotard, black skirt, big black glasses.

Hippie would be more colorful and use a lot of patterns (often clashing :P) Also macrame, batik and lots of use of beads and wooden fasteners.

Am I being too literal? What do you all think?

good point, Tang. I think they probably are two different things-hadn't thought about it before.

Originally posted by tangerine@Jun 11th, 2004 - 4:52 pm

Hippie would be more colorful and use a lot of patterns (often clashing :P) Also macrame, batik and lots of use of beads and wooden fasteners.

i'd go with your definition of hippie...but i think you're describing a more 'beatnik' look for bohemian...

i think bohemian is an overall term which covers everything from hippie, to beatnik to pirate to gypsy etc...it's less polished and more loose...and not so specific...

that's the way we use the term at work ...anyway...

i consider myself more of a bohemian... :flower: :heart:
my style includes a little from each of these groups...

Talking of (slightly faux) hippy/beatnik/bohemians a man who's been oft quoted lately comes to mind:

3641.jpg

Originally posted by softgrey+Jun 11th, 2004 - 3:00 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ Jun 11th, 2004 - 3:00 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tangerine@Jun 11th, 2004 - 4:52 pm

i'd go with your definition of hippie...but i think you're describing a more 'beatnik' look for bohemian...

i think bohemian is an overall term which covers everything from hippie, to beatnik to pirate to gypsy etc...it's less polished and more loose...and not so specific...

that's the way we use the term at work ...anyway...

i consider myself more of a bohemian... :flower: :heart:
my style includes a little from each of these groups... [/b][/quote]
You are right, I was picturing beatnik...
Going by your definition of bohemian (which I like), I guess hippie/bohemian is a style (not two). Kimkhuu, I take back what I said! :lol: :flower:

I love this trend and have really been getting into it by buying some 60s vintage pieces.

Originally posted by tangerine@Jun 11th, 2004 - 2:52 pm

i agree they are both diffent, i think you described hippie weel, but bohemian is just a term used to describe free, artistic people, so i don't knwo if you can put it so litterally as to put it into categorys. :heart:

My outfits draw on all eras and all styles.. but I really love 60s flowing earrings, scarfs, big glasses... beads.. my Mom was a hippy :blush:

I just need to get huge sunglasses, but I haven't made up my mind yet on which pair I should invest on!

It's hard for me to find vintage earrings I can wear, since I am allergic to almost everything that's not silver or plastic! :(

I love bohemian chic style, but mixed with more modern sophisticated pieces :heart:

Originally posted by Kimkhuu@Jun 11th, 2004 - 7:54 pm
I just need to get huge sunglasses, but I haven't made up my mind yet on which pair I should invest on!

It's hard for me to find vintage earrings I can wear, since I am allergic to almost everything that's not silver or plastic! :(
Perhaps you could buy some that you like and then replace the backings/hooks with something you can use. Try a local bead or craft store for some options. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, you could probably find someone to do it for you at a bead or jewelry store. That could cost you, though, so I recommend doing it yourself. It really isn't hard. :flower:

I love this look so much! :wub: :heart:

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Jun 11th, 2004 - 11:04 pm
Talking of (slightly faux) hippy/beatnik/bohemians a man who's been oft quoted lately comes to mind:

3641.jpg
play a song for me

MK Olsen's "everyday" style is hippie chic, and I love it sooo much! :heart:

Attachments

• mk1.jpg
    mk1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 137
i enjoy kind of vintagey vibed clothing... but it seems like everyone is doing it now and its getting overdone. :-\

I don't like it when it's "overdone", it's nice when it's mixed with "preppy" elements and everything kept simple and clean! :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uche2crazyyy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->