Holiday Magazine S/S 2024 : The Kathmandu Issue

Rianne & Mikael always create magic 🪄
so here's the textless coverstory (only the images of Rianne)

Sprit in the Valley
Photographer: Mikael Jansson
Styling: Maria Joseph Gilchrist
Hair: Damien Boissinot
Make Up: Hannah Murray
Model: Rianne van Rompaey

wandco-mgt.com
Great story...thank you

How many more images are in this story?

I don’t agree. Holiday was never that kind of magazine. Angelina Kendall is from Brazil and Steinberg from Russia and they were in Istanbul Issue, Andreea Diaconu is from Romania and she was in New Zealand Issue, it doesn’t go by typical things/point of view/choice or where the model comes from. That’s why I really like this magazine.
While I'm sure Ashley Radjarame would have rocked this editorial too, I think we've got to take Holiday for what it is: a magazine about travels, about exploring new territories, cultures, landscapes etc. They don't pretend they offer the viewer an accurate overview on the city/country the issue is about, they're just throwing their version of dreaming to our eyes. Often it works.

While I'm sure Ashley Radjarame would have rocked this editorial too, I think we've got to take Holiday for what it is: a magazine about travels, about exploring new territories, cultures, landscapes etc. They don't pretend they offer the viewer an accurate overview on the city/country the issue is about, they're just throwing their version of dreaming to our eyes. Often it works.
Fair. I suppose the images are without argument striking and beautiful. But what irks me about this magazine is that it’s all kind of giving off some low level cultural appropriation vibe. I still think someone like Rania Benchegra would’ve been perfect for the Istanbul issue. Angelina Kendall for Rio, Steinberg for Moscow etc. Ok, not much imagination for choice of cast, but I do think it makes the story more believable and meaningful if you use models from the city’s’ own culture and background. Fine. We want Rianne in Kathmandu. But put her in touristy/backpacker clothing instead of see through dress with her face painted as if she was celebrating Holi. It just seems wrong.

Last edited:
Fair. I suppose the images are without argument striking and beautiful. But what irks me about this magazine is that it’s all kind of giving off some low level cultural appropriation vibe. I still think someone like Rania Benchegra would’ve been perfect for the Istanbul issue. Angelina Kendall for Rio, Steinberg for Moscow etc. Ok, not much imagination for choice of cast, but I do think it makes the story more believable and meaningful if you use models from the city’s’ own culture and background. Fine. We want Rianne in Kathmandu. But put her in touristy/backpacker clothing instead of see through dress with her face painted as if she was celebrating Holi. It just seems wrong.
I understand your point of view, and I don't like cultural appropriation more than you do. But it's also a dangerous path, when we start pushing it too far, too fast, when our view on it isn't subtle enough. Got to take every case as a unique one, unless we talk about blatant cheap parody of another culture.

We also need to remember cultures, every culture nowadays, evolve. Just as languages. Just as how they are perceived by people originally from these or by others who are just discovering it.

When some european painters discovered african art for example (and it's just a single example among several other "influences"), I can't doubt some of them, many actually, were genuinely impressed and sincerely fell in love with what they saw. Even though they sort of stole the soul of that art. And meanwhile exbitions of real african art weren't taken seriously back then, just considered as some curios. And we're just talking about a few pieces of art here, we all know how much worse it went... For centuries, through centuries.
As a painter myself, drawing or painting on a daily basis, I'm often asking myself the question why there aren't more people of color among my artworks, mainly focused on characters/human beings. Perhaps I don't feel legit (enough) to do so. Unless I'm willing to portray someone beautiful (like in some "fashion" series I did) but that remains just some aesthetic choice, there would be a lack of feelings, of life experience in them. BUT... I don't expect every creative mind to follow the same path. What may be right in book, can be wrong in someone else's. And doing things only with good intentions never made art better, sometimes it took the opposite path... for the worse/worst...

So, yes, I partly agree with you. And it goes far beyond cultural appropriation (in terms of geographical areas etc.). Within the same country, or the same part of the world, you'll find people "stealing" or at best "borrowing" others' stuff, struggles, aesthetics, history and lives. That's an endless and endlessly touchy topic (and I'm getting quite off-topic somehow).

That's just a fashionable travel magazine, it has its flaws, its audience has its flaws just as its creators and contributors do. And you'll always find someone going further than yourself on your own lane. You mentioned Angelina Kendall for Rio? Someone else will let you know that not every Brazilian looks like Angelina or Gisele. And so on. Endless?

I understand your point of view, and I don't like cultural appropriation more than you do. But it's also a dangerous path, when we start pushing it too far, too fast, when our view on it isn't subtle enough. Got to take every case as a unique one, unless we talk about blatant cheap parody of another culture.

We also need to remember cultures, every culture nowadays, evolve. Just as languages. Just as how they are perceived by people originally from these or by others who are just discovering it.

When some european painters discovered african art for example (and it's just a single example among several other "influences"), I can't doubt some of them, many actually, were genuinely impressed and sincerely fell in love with what they saw. Even though they sort of stole the soul of that art. And meanwhile exbitions of real african art weren't taken seriously back then, just considered as some curios. And we're just talking about a few pieces of art here, we all know how much worse it went... For centuries, through centuries.
As a painter myself, drawing or painting on a daily basis, I'm often asking myself the question why there aren't more people of color among my artworks, mainly focused on characters/human beings. Perhaps I don't feel legit (enough) to do so. Unless I'm willing to portray someone beautiful (like in some "fashion" series I did) but that remains just some aesthetic choice, there would be a lack of feelings, of life experience in them. BUT... I don't expect every creative mind to follow the same path. What may be right in book, can be wrong in someone else's. And doing things only with good intentions never made art better, sometimes it took the opposite path... for the worse/worst...

So, yes, I partly agree with you. And it goes far beyond cultural appropriation (in terms of geographical areas etc.). Within the same country, or the same part of the world, you'll find people "stealing" or at best "borrowing" others' stuff, struggles, aesthetics, history and lives. That's an endless and endlessly touchy topic (and I'm getting quite off-topic somehow).

That's just a fashionable travel magazine, it has its flaws, its audience has its flaws just as its creators and contributors do. And you'll always find someone going further than yourself on your own lane. You mentioned Angelina Kendall for Rio? Someone else will let you know that not every Brazilian looks like Angelina or Gisele. And so on. Endless?
Thanks for taking time to share your opinion- much appreciated. It is a touchy topic so let’s just leave it there. Meanwhile looking at the Cuba issue…I feel slightly more hopeful that these magazines people CAN make the right choices. It’s just that sometimes they refuse to

This magazine really seems to wake up the wanderlust in you - would love to sit, flick through it, and transport myself to another world.

This magazine is what Dust thinks it is.

This magazine is what Dust thinks it is.
huh? they are such different magazines??

i love holiday because its a small peak into the diana vreeland grace mirabella past we've read about

where photographers were given a great model in a remote location to make a big fat incredible story, no paper backdrops, and even when they do a paper backdrop they have to do it creatively to evoke the location and tell a story (iman egypt) and its wonderful

What's interesting too about Holiday is that I believe they use the same creative director as Harper's Bazaar France (Franck Durand). He has such a great visual sensibility.

What's interesting too about Holiday is that I believe they use the same creative director as Harper's Bazaar France (Franck Durand). He has such a great visual sensibility.
Yes Holiday is her own personal project.
He relaunched the magazine years ago. And like every Art Director, he has his own publication (Thomas Lenthal has System Magazine).
I think his work for Holiday is superior to anything he does because his aesthetic in pure fashion is kind of tired.

He was the Art Director for Sandro, Isabel Marant and etc. His aesthetic has trickle down to a lot of fashion brands in France and in magazines too so it’s quite boring at some point.

But as usual, Holiday is good.

What a beautiful mix between fashion and travel. It's the first time I read about this magazine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->