How do you organize your closet?

In one double door cupboards i have shelves with my tops, jumpers, scarves and shoes. Then, next to these shelves I have my 'nice' tops hanging up by colour order, and on a lower bar i have my pants and skirts. Below them are my bags. In the next cupboard I have all my dresses and coats. I have storage boxes at the bottom of the cupboard below them for clothes i dont wear but can't throw away because they're sentimental.
Of course, this is all in theory. In actuality, it becomes a bit of a mess.

So upon studying abroad I didn't bring any hangers with me because they take up a lot of space for stuff that exists everywhere. Turns out my host family doesn't really have any, only a few and the wire kind. So I'm fairly screwed.

There is an elaborate closet of shelfs, however. But it's so hard dealing with shelfs and stacking clothes one on top of the other. When I get my battery charger, I'll take a pic. Shelves make everything so much sloppier and harder to maintain order. Plus everything is in the habit of getting wrinkled.

The other day I tried to put shirts for layering with each other, clothes for colder weather with each other, sheer stuff together, and pants, skits, the like. But with the shelves, it looks kinda gross and things get lost underneath each other. I have 3 drawers. Top = Underwear/swim bottoms, Middle = Socks/Hosiery, Bottom = Bras/swim tops.

This closet would be so much more amazing if it were for, say, shoes. ^_^

^No hangers?! eek. I know ikea sells quite cheap plastic hangers (better than wire!). Is there one near your host family? Perhaps you could buy some, and then leave them behind when you go home?

i just discovered this thread.
i move into a new flat and got to choose a new closet.
i went with two simple 50cm wide 236cm high pax closets from ikea. i'm really happy with them
first i thought i had arranged them in the way i want it, but then i got the idea that i might want to get another clothesrail. but that'd mean i have to give up 2 sections of folded shirts and hang them.
right now i have 4 seperate staples (tanks, short sleeved, long sleeved and well... other stuff..) i'm not sure if hanging all the shirts is a good idea.
however if i hang them i have a bit of extra space -much needed space- to hang blazers or skirts...

do you hang your t-shirts or fold them? any ideas?

Hi!

I hang all my clothes except sportwear and lingerie. For me that way it's so much easier to select those ones I want to dress right now. And those not-so-good candidates are easy to put back where they belong.

-Jutta-

i just discovered this thread.
i move into a new flat and got to choose a new closet.
i went with two simple 50cm wide 236cm high pax closets from ikea. i'm really happy with them
first i thought i had arranged them in the way i want it, but then i got the idea that i might want to get another clothesrail. but that'd mean i have to give up 2 sections of folded shirts and hang them.
right now i have 4 seperate staples (tanks, short sleeved, long sleeved and well... other stuff..) i'm not sure if hanging all the shirts is a good idea.
however if i hang them i have a bit of extra space -much needed space- to hang blazers or skirts...

do you hang your t-shirts or fold them? any ideas?
I fold mine.. I prefer it that way especially with regular t-shirts and tanks. Though I fold most of my clothe as there I don't have anymore hanging space, So the stuff hanging are the things that really needs it. dress-blouses, dresses, blazers, some jackets etc..
But, if I were you I would probably go for whatever solution that gives the most clothing space and the best overview.

I feel like re-organizing. Might do so later. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
i think i need to try how much space the shirts take up when i hang them.
the problem i have to face: now i only have a 50cm clothes rail and i'd like to hang more pieces -thus this only works if i give up a bit of places from the folding shirts section.

I alphabetise my stuff e.g. coats then dresses..
It's rather sad but it's a must and within say dresses I would do it by colours.

^Thats exactly what i do.
My closet is organized into Trousers, then they go into Trousers, Jeans, Sweats.
and then another Rail is Jackets and anything similar, then they go into Shirts, Cardigans, Jackets and Coats, all of which go in color, its like a color chart in there.
and then t-shirts go into 4 draws and they all have their categories : Sports, Day, Bed and Designer Day, Then there is another draw for Pajama trousers and another for shorts.
and then i have one draw for Underwear, another for socks, another for scarves and accessories, at the bottom of my closet i keep all my shoes in their original boxes and once i've worn them they go back into their boxes until i wear them again.
as you may have guessed i have OCD :lol:.

Haha thats very similar to what I do, don't even get me started on my DVD collection or anything else! :lol:
I have to have Ikea spacer's too for my drawer's and shoe's :blush:

my closet is organized in giant piles of crap that fell off of the hangers, with the oldest crap toward the bottom of the piles and the newest crap on top :D:P:innocent:

ok: i finally realised that if two thirds of your t-shirts are either black or white sorting them out by color doesn't make much sense... *stupidme*

Well I can't really go by how it looks now (I've just moved into a new place) but in my last house it was jackets in the left side of the cupboard, shirts in the right, underwear in the left drawer of the dresser, 'accessories' in the right, t-shirts and jumpers in the drawer under and trousers beneath that.
Shoes, generally on the floor.

I have one wardrobe which just houses my coats-capes-jackets-cardigans-suits + shoes in boxes on the top shelf + on the floor of the wardrobe.
Then another wardrobe next to it with tank tops folded in one pile - next to it short sleeve tops - then long-sleeve tops - then work tops. {all the cheaper items}
Underneath hanging are trousers - then all my more delicate tops (in order of designer - colour).
Under the hanging clothes are a small pile with my jeans, also folded..
In the next wardrobe I have dresses hung according to their use - work - summer - winter - special occasions - then skirts.
On top are a pile of winter tops, and on the bottom are some clutches/small bags.

I have OCD when it comes to my wardrobes..everything is in order...I only use wooden hangers, and I have to iron things before they just hung up..

My closet goes like this: summer tops, dresses, winter tops, jeans then coats. Within each category, I organize by color in this order: white, gray, black, brown, yellow, blue, purple, pink, and red, except for dresses, where I color it code the opposite order so that way the colors mesh nicely. I also organize by sleeve length (i.e., first strapless, then tank, then capsleeve, then regular sleeve, then 3/4 sleeve, and finally long sleeve). I only use white hangers, except for pink hangers which I use on my favorite items that I tend to wear a lot. All heels are on the floor, and all flats are on of those shelves that hang from the rail. Purses are on the shelf above it, and scarves are on a coat rack.

What can I say, I'm quite OCD. :ninja:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious. What about hosiery, socks and shoes?
How do you organize those, that is, if you do organize them?
by colour, style, material etc?

wouldn't it be interesting to have everything sorted by material, does anybody do that? :unsure:

my bras and panties have their own seperate drawers, folded neatly. and i dont really wear that much socks so the few pairs i have dont really have a designated place of storage

I have separate drawers: bras - knickers - socks - full-length & knee-length sheer and black tights - coloured & design tights. I then store my gym clothes and pjs in the bottom drawer (since it is cabinet with 6 drawers..)

My wardrobe is divided into several sections; 2 hanging compartments for work clothes, dresses, 4 smaller compartments with bags right at the top, followed by casual clothes (folded), accessories, and bottoms. 3 drawers; one for my bra and panties, one for pjs and towerls, the other for cardigans, tights, and socks.

I happen to have a picture of it when it was first done. It's design to built into the wall, very spacious and now it is bursting. I'm embarrassed to show it's current state. Sharing the other half with my sister.
4959192423_41e3329a18.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->