"How to wear clothes"

voodoo mary and tangerine, you guys are funny!
tangerine - i don't think you are 'lazy', lazy means being unconscious and not caring, i think you are subtle and it's in the details... . i think a person can wear jeans and a tshirt in a million different ways. the last time i saw patty smith, she was wearing jeans and an old white tshirt, she looked f**king amazing.

but to go back to the original question, how to wear clothes... i think some people do have a 'je ne sais quoi', definately. good models have that, where they know how the clothes are falling on their bodies, instinctively. sometimes i see people on the street who have it, some old guy with his fedora titled a certain way, a 13 year old girl with perfectly cuffed jeans. for some people it's innate, but i know people who've 'willed' themselves there, and to clarify, i'm not talking being able to put together an ensemble of clothes that is clever or well-coordinated or whatever. i mean style i guess, bringing clothes to life, exuding whatever it is:

personally, i love steve mcqueen and young jean-paul belmondo for having that certain flair: (credit: stvmcqueen.tripod.com)

Attachments

• steve.jpg
    steve.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 1
i think putting together a look is not going to be effortless for all of us.if it us, most of us would be in a uniform of jeans and t-shirt all the time

:lol: :lol: :lol: This one, I can't agree more, you do have to put actuall effort into your cordinations of the oufit, but when you wear it, you have to totally forget about it, i think that's pretty much what effortless means now. :D :P :D :P

:blush: maiden, thank you, that is very flattering!

Patti :heart: would look f*cking amazing in a burlap sack; she exudes charisma and "dash" from every pore.

Nice choices with Steve McQueen and JP Belmondo; those are two stylish gents for sure!

well it's true tang...
and you're right about charisma, but i don't think patty would really look too hot in the burlap sack... but patti would nail it...:lol:

and yeah, all my favorite hot male stars are either old or dead, but cool nonetheless.

somebody has been telling me that you can wear anything you want to..
you just have to 'own it'...

but i think that even if you 'own it'...
and you think you look amazing...and you feel like you look amazing...
you could still possibly actually look like a moron...

ie...case in point...
guy walking down the street wearing the following...
leggings, tank top, vest...:ninja:...
i don't care if he THOUGHT he looked so freaking hot and amazing...
trust me...he didn't....
and people i know are still having conversations about how freaking horribly tragic it all was...

just having confidence isn't going to do it imo...
if you look dumb you still look dumb..
no matter how confident you are...

:innocent:...

:ninja:

*oh...and by the way..
just for the record...patti smith turns out to be an arrogant son of a b*tch...
in case anyone was wondering...
that whole charisma thing is part of her *schtick*...
it's all one big act...just part of the performance...
(very disappointing...:ermm:)

It involves being aware of how you look. You need to understand your body and the way clothes (primarily the fit) can enhance, disguise and flaunt it. You also need to recognize what is appropriate for your age, gender, place, etc. Yes the rules are there for the bending and breaking, but you still need to be aware of them.

That said, I am a firm believer in taking risks. You won't learn anything about clothes unless you really challenge yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think looking effortless and confident is ironically 75% calculated. Being unself-conscious is critical for not ruining the effect, but a tangible physical element of looking good is equally essential. If Patti Smith was chubby and wore awkward leopard-print leggings and Sketchers, even with the same attitude, it would come off totally different. Her look just epitomizes the underfed insouciant punk and that is most of what is signalling "cool".

Being comfortbale,and not worrying about how you look,because you know you look good. There's nothing worse than seeing someone who looks so uncomfortable and keeps checking how they look every 2 minutes. You should wear the clothes,not let the clothes wear you

i think its mostly about balance I always think high heel tight skirt and a tight top and straight hair just screams too try hard there, is nothing effortless in there..

I think its often about attitude... and if you have a fantastic body you can make many things look great. but balance..

It's quite a cliché to say 'confidence', maybe it's true.... I'm not sure. Maybe it's an aesthetic thing, some people can see how an outfit can be put together and look good, others can't :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigsadrn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->