i-D October 2005 : Gemma Ward by Nick Knight

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
The nationality issue...from i-dmagazine.com...

259.gif

cover: gemma by nick knight

ON SALE SEPTEMBER 8. What is Nationality? Nick Knight takes us on a journey questioning this notion/

BRING AND BUY: Take 20 stylists, a handful of fabulous people, one legendary photographer, a swan dress from Björk and a web audience of millions. Then light the touch paper. Introducing i-D and SHOWstudio’s global fashion project. Introduction by Penny Martin. Photography by Nick Knight/

THE LONDON SCENE: Thanks to Pete Doherty and his cohorts, all eyes are on London and its resurgent indie scene. Referencing mod, punk and britpop, these crazy kids are doing it their way. If it’s broke, don’t fix it. Text by Ben Reardon. Photography by Nick Knight/

NATIONALITY!: Countless millions have lived, loved and died for the cause. From Mexican auteur Carlos Reygadas, American activist and political thinker Rebecca Solnit, Indian author MG Vassanji, to Brit artist Adam Chodzko and many more, artists, writers and filmmakers from across the planet chew over the issue. Text by Skye Sherwin/

THE FILTH AND THE GORY: Combining dumb humour and human savagery, Paul McCarthy’s world is a riotous mix of political satire and sticky human goo. Text by Jessica Lack. Artwork by Paul McCarthy/

GAME PLAN: As the lyrical battle between The Game and his former affiliate 50 Cent rages on, where next for the angriest man in hip hop? Text by Hattie Collins. Photography by Alasdair McLellan/

DOG MAN STAR: Lords of Dogtown star, actor Emile Hirsch is one skate punk with enough fearless energy and determination to flood an ocean with waves or carve a pavement with dreams. Text by Holly Shackleton. Photography by Matt Jones/

SOUTHSIDE PLAYERS: The woozy beats and slowed-down vocals currently coming out of Houston, Texas, have started a hip hop revolution. This is Screwed and Chopped. Text and photography by Dave Stelfox/

MOTHER OF INVENTION: Nick Knight pays tribute to one of his original inspirations: his mother. Photography by Nick Knight/ Nick Knight trains his FASHION lenses with stylists Simon Foxton, Jonathan Kaye, and Jamie Surman/ And to close this issue, Terry Jones engages Nick Knight in a conversation about 25 years in fashion.

sounds great! i like that they're featuring the bring and buy project...
thanks for posting, kimair!

great thanks for the info:flower:

I'm not fond of this cover, however, the issue itself sounds awesome. Thanks for posting:heart:

Think the cover might be in 3D reading what it says on the website

am oddly a bit sick of this whole showstudio thing already but the features in the mag look great...I'll have to pick it up when it comes out

oh I love both gemma and london...it's a must buy issue...:P

It sounds very nice, but I do NOT like this cover...

i like the cover

i was almost getting sick of all gemma's photos being so doll-like, this cover makes it look like an acid trip, i'm glad gemma can do both.

i really like that

JR1 said:
same...i hate it when they smudge the picture :yuk:

So do I :doh:
And not to mention it just looks badly done! The format of the cover makes it looks like they were lazy and just stuck some things together and gave it a cheap effect.:innocent:

reminds of vintage id covers... more towards art direction rather than focusing on photography... nice

i really dont like this cover...its not just the style of the cover...i could probably accept that if the expression on her face werent so weird...

anna karina said:
why so, m-o-m and meg?
sorry to but in, but for me showstudio has become really repetitive, all those "collaborations" are most of the time really nothing interesting, i cant even remember the last time i checked that site out... the same can be applied to i-d, i think

toohipforbrooklyn said:
sorry to but in, but for me showstudio has become really repetitive, all those "collaborations" are most of the time really nothing interesting, i cant even remember the last time i checked that site out...
Ditto for me. Though I never really found Showstudio to be that amazing or groundbreaking. I went and scrolled through their entire homepage just now and absolutely nothing caught my eye. Not a good sign, though maybe I'm alone in my feelings.

toohipforbrooklyn said:
reminds of vintage id covers... more towards art direction rather than focusing on photography... nice
Yeah! Those vintage covers are amazing. i-D's covers this year have been very uncommercial, from the close-up shot of the 8 year old boy in February, to the greased-up Diana Dondoe on July, to this. It's refreshing in a time when other magazines only concern themselves with the bottom line--and alienate many of their longtime readers in the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
violette28
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->