Katie Craven

myran

Reaction score

*nextmanagement

HEIGHT: 5'10.5'' / 179 CM
AGENCY: NEXT

Her story really got to me.

From sleeping rough to modelling – how she turned her life around through sailing

THE UK’s largest youth development sail training charity has launched an appeal to raise at least £1.5m to buy an additional large sailing yacht to help hundreds more young people a year with a ‘life-changing’ voyage.

Tall Ships Youth Trust (TSYT) currently has a fleet of four 72ft Challenger yachts and a 55ft ketch, which enables the charity to take 1,000 young people to sea every year.

Its new LifeChanger Appeal aims to raise the money to buy and refit an additional 70-80ft sized vessel (10-12 berth), increasing its sea-going capacity by approximately 250 young people a year. Funds will also cover three-years’ running costs, including bursaries for 750 young people to go on a voyage.

The Trust, which works with young people aged 12-25, has a particular focus on supporting those from disadvantaged backgrounds, with 75 per cent of its beneficiaries coming from this cohort.

Here we meet some the young people helped by the charity and who’ve had their lives turned around by the simple act of going sailing:

Hello.

My name is Katie. I’m 18 and live on the Isle of Wight. When I was nine my mum and dad split up. My family were violent and my mum was into drugs. So, from about 10, I had to bring myself up.

At 14, I was homeless and sleeping on the beach or sofa surfing with people I didn’t really know. At 15, I got my first conviction for burglary. I was given community service and 12 months with the youth offending team.

It was then, I decided to ask for help. The youth offending team put me forward to join a Tall Ships Youth Trust voyage.

My first voyage opened my eyes and showed me I can do better. It completely changed my life.

Every day onboard is different and you’re always learning something new. You’re with different people from different backgrounds, but no-one judges you. I got on really well with people I didn’t think I would.

And you have to work together, regardless. It’s really helped me to manage my emotions and get on better with people.

A week after my first voyage I was invited to come back as a young leader and I’ve been involved ever since.

Today, I have a painting and decorating qualification and a modelling contract with a major brand.

Katie Craven
Volunteer Watch Assistant and youth ambassador

Takes a lot of strength for a kid in that situation to a) ask for help and b) seize the opportunity for change.

cvqddjlyb2jq61mo028h
joovbv3yecnzhunuhahi
ofgu0mdl8l8c0zvd4ukx
e8ni44l6guhyb03j7le5

nextmanagement

Zara Black Dress Collection
Photographed by David Sims
Styled by Emmanuelle Alt

*zara

PFW SS23 Street Style Days 1 & 2
Photographer: Melodie Jeng
source: models.com