Lillian Bassman & Paul Himmel - Photographers

You're very welcome, Mullet :flower: ... that photograph and the underwater in #5 was the two images I first saw of her work :heart: ...

Some more of Bassman ...

Black and White, Mary Jane Russell, Le Pavillion, New York, Harper's Bazaar, April 1950
155.jpg

A Report to Skeptics, Suzy Parker, New York, Harper's Bazaar, April 1952
153.jpg

The Spotted Furs, Furred, Coat by Traina-Norell, Barbara Mullen, New York, Harper’s Bazaar, November 1954
162.jpg

The Long Winter Evenings, Dress by Galanos, Anne Saint-Marie, New York, Harper’s Bazaar, October 1955
161.jpg

tatargallery.com

:heart:

One more ...

Lillian Bassman is a self-taught photographer who began her education in the darkroom. Later in her career, selective toning and bleaching and other darkroom manipulations would give her photographs their impressionistic feel. After decades of struggling to fit her artistic choices with commercial demands, she closed her commercial studio in the 1970s and jettisoned her negatives. During repairs to her darkroom in 1991, however, she discovered more than 100 batches of negatives from the 1940s and 1950s. It was a small portion of the lost archive and many of the remaining negatives had been damaged in the interim, but the cache included negatives from some of the more important sittings and Bassman began to reinterpret them. The long-necked model, the foregrounding of the upper half of the body (and of the arms in particular), and the moody elegance of "Carmen, Harper's Bazaar, New York, c. 1963" is characteristic of Bassman's fashion work. The resemblance to fine charcoal sketches or paintings in black ink created through toning and bleaching is characteristic of her reinterpretations.
Source: mocp.org

Camen, New York, Harper's Bazaar, 1963
Bassman.jpg

mocp.org

Last edited by a moderator:
I came across these Lillian Bassman's in large file sizes,
which is quite a treat, atleast for me! :bounce:

This is beyond words! :mellow: :wub: ...

heritagegraphicsintl.com

Thanks Multitudes... I've always wondered who took that first photograph in post #43.

Wow, such gorgeous photography! What a talented individual. There's an article on her in the paper I might scan in if anyone's interested.

VOGUE GERMANY DECEMBER 1998
'KRÖNUNG DES CHIC'
photographer: Lillian Bassman
model: Stella Tennant (?)

my scans

VOGUE GERMANY DECEMBER 1999
'DER STAR IN MIR'

my scans

Thanks so much for scanning these eds Mojopin. :flower: :flower: :flower:

I adore her work. :wub:

VOGUE GERMANY AUGUST 2004
'ART DÉCO: SO COOL'
model: ??

my scans

Mojopin, i can not thank you enough for scanning these, wow so incredibly stunning. Most of all i had no idea whatsoever that she was still working back in 2004 even.

Lillian Bassman: Women

51RRXE9PG8L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

With more than 140 of her best images reproduced in stunning tritone, including many never published before and others not seen since they appeared in the pages of the legendary Harper's Bazaar of the 1950s, Lillian Bassman: Women offers a retrospective view of an extraordinary career in photography.
At 91 and still hard at work, Bassman is a beloved figure in the pantheon of fashion photographers. Her signature style, once described by Richard Avedon as making "visible that heart-breaking invisible place between the appearance and the disappearance of things," offered a sensuous and intimate vision of modern women. Says Judith Thurman, "Bassman's women--perennially soulful,elusively chic--have the poignance of an endangered species."
Well-known art writer and journalist Deborah Solomon contributes an introduction. An illustrated chronology gives a cinematic overview of a remarkable life.
amazon.com

Lillian Bassman in US Harper's Bazaar June 1997

ellastica scan

Detour 1999
Photographer ~ Lillian Bassman
Model ~ Shalom Harlow
sh138.th.jpg

Phila scans

"The Art of Fashion"
Neiman Marcus supplement from Harpers Bazaar (?) - issue unknown.
Photographer: Lillian Bassman
Models: Anneliese Seubert & Debbie Deitering.

Phila scans

btw Phila, this ran in Harper's Bazaar Septemeber 1995. can't thank you enough for scanning all this, still takes my breath away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverchiu
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->