Virgil Abloh - Designer

^Such level of self-importance can only be sustained by an influential, innovative and well executed body of work a la Miuccia, Raf, etc.

He really should keep his mouth closed for the time being, seeing how the work that preceds him is the textbook definition of banal. Then again, the only thing he has going on for him is an unrivalled self confidence...may it serve him well.

^Such level of self-importance can only be sustained by an influential, innovative and well executed body of work a la Miuccia, Raf, etc.

He really should keep his mouth closed for the time being, seeing how the work that preceds him is the textbook definition of banal. Then again, the only thing he has going on for him is an unrivalled self confidence...may it serve him well.

This is why him and Kanye get on so well.

it doesn't really matter. all these big conglomerates have no distinct style anyway. It's all design by committee.

I don't know why people are so pressed by this appointment.
It's not like Louis Vuitton is some storied and ancient couture house,
with codes that need to be respected and protected. It's first and foremost
a luxury luggage company, with clothes being a relatively new product. He can pretty much do as he pleases. He has a clean slate to be as banal and mediocre as his talent can take him.:wink:

^^Yes, indeed. Plus, it's not like Louis Vuitton has any interest in truly pushing their menswear into our closets. They didn't do so w/ Marc and/or Kim, they haven't done so w/ Nicholas, and they certainly won't now w/ this overhyped hack.

He makes some really nice trainers. I guess it says all we need to know about what happened to creativity in this day and age when that is basically enough.

Regardless, I do not think it's a bad business decision, no one care about the integrity of LV menswear and you can make a lot of profit just by selling branded shoes and sweatshirts. As in any decision that is hype dependant clearly it has a very short shelf life, but in the meantime some people will be raking it in.

^^Yes, indeed. Plus, it's not like Louis Vuitton has any interest in truly pushing their menswear into our closets. They didn't do so w/ Marc and/or Kim, they haven't done so w/ Nicholas, and they certainly won't now w/ this overhyped hack.

I think this time they actually do want to push their product into mens' closets, even if they are only monogrammed hoodies and ripped jeans. I see men wearing Off-White everyday, but it's only the overpriced T-shirts, hoodies and jeans and Louis Vuitton is clearly looking into cashing in with clothes that are cheap to manufacture and easy to sell.

He makes some really nice trainers. I guess it says all we need to know about what happened to creativity in this day and age when that is basically enough.

Regardless, I do not think it's a bad business decision, no one care about the integrity of LV menswear and you can make a lot of profit just by selling branded shoes and sweatshirts. As in any decision that is hype dependant clearly it has a very short shelf life, but in the meantime some people will be raking it in.

Couldn't agree more. The audience they want to appeal to is a fickle one. These hypebeasts will hop on any hot rend and dump it the moment it's out, but I guess LVMH knows that and wants to make some money off their menswear for now, but will probably not keep Virgil for the long run.

Hiring Nicolas and Kim actually pushed people into buying clothes. They have really developped their RTW lines in a real short amount of time.
Virgil can be interesting because he can refresh the accessories actually. I'm sure that like Nicolas, the emphasis will be on separate pieces but their bags for men are not that attractive.

Logical development, first makers/creators, followed by designers, and now creative director (Ideengeber)/influencer.

The future? LVMH should think pure marketing, beyond cost producing humans!
Machine learning algorithm to predict fashion trends. Add an appealing AI & hologram as well as the usual PR shtick: social media presence (purchased likes), youtube channel, celebrity promotions, ads/editorials and you are done! You can even do a press releases after you updated the algorithm…

Which other star architect, other than maybe Zaha Hadid, is as faffed over by fashion as him?
:lol:

I have to say, I'm often amazed by how little outrage native English speakers make out of statements such as that one from August 20th "it’s very undemocratically classist (exclusive insted of inclusive) so why it’s apply so well to liberals and left leaning ppl and not so much to the right (if not to the ones with highest income)."... if it was in my mother tongue, I couldn't shut up about it. It's not really the "ppl", I can even handle the undemocratically classist (how about unequal discrimination lol- and yes I know you can have a democracy and a class system, but guess why democracy is a doomed concept), it's how poorly that was formulated and considered okay enough to just move on to the next sentence. Are people not immediately demolished for this in classrooms? is the tolerance for the crazy amount of non-native speakers' mistakes also applied for those who speak it as a first language? so many questions.. (If this is Virgil's third language, my bad) ..but we all know it's his only language.

Or maybe "it's just fashion" and the press just leaves that alone, I don't know.. it just makes that field so pitiful and you kind of understand why those seen as more 'thoughtful' still debate the sartorial discoveries of cavemen as such a hot topic (to fur or not to fur :lol:), there are zero standards, you can get away thaipinlikthis as long as you make an orange sneaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
^I can barely understand that sentence..."so why it's apply" is just cringeworthy coming from a native speaker.

I'm always amazed at the lousy mistakes that some native speakers commit, I would have been slapped in the wrist if I ever said something like "more better"(?) to an English teacher. Here's me hoping it's all done to appear more "cooler"/urban.

Rem: Do you know the expression 'existence minimum'?

Virgil: No.

Rem: It's the very minimum people need to exist.

giphy.gif

giphy

Hiring Nicolas and Kim actually pushed people into buying clothes. They have really developped their RTW lines in a real short amount of time.
Virgil can be interesting because he can refresh the accessories actually. I'm sure that like Nicolas, the emphasis will be on separate pieces but their bags for men are not that attractive.

Yeah, I'm sure people buy LV clothes, but to me, it always seems like people actually buying the clothes isn't a big priority on their (LVMHs) list. The clothes are there in the shops if people are interested, but that's about the extent of it. LVMH isn't looking for the clothes to stand just as strongly as the accessories.

But it's not like I ever had, do have, or will have any interest in anything Louis, so there's that.

5 points for every time you mention Duchamp in one interview.

I just couldn't bring myself to read the whole thing, I thought my eyes were not going to emerge from the back of my head.

Or maybe "it's just fashion" and the press just leaves that alone, I don't know.. it just makes that field so pitiful and you kind of understand why those seen as more 'thoughtful' still debate the sartorial discoveries of cavemen as such a hot topic (to fur or not to fur :lol:), there are zero standards, you can get away thaipinlikthis as long as you make an orange sneaker.

Bravo, American education! Because I can tell you now, 'undemocratically' most likely comes from America's odd fetish to add 'un' to any noun just to legitimise it. See un-American, undead etc. Lol.

But seriously, you're touching on something I've noticed for some time now! I have friends who are in the process of wrapping up their BA in fashion and when I look at their theory-related projects?? :shock: They literally get a pass on grammar and comprehension which for me is just baffling. It's as though having design chops (which in itself is questionable) is simply enough. It becomes even more baffling when you factor in that these are native Brits! I shudder to think of all the small mistakes which will eventually pop up as they enter the workforce. In daily correspondence such as emails etc.

And yes, political correctness makes it increasingly difficult to correct another's English. I'm not sure if that's worse than smiling with condescension while someone stumbles through a sentence.......not with broken English, but a mash-up of words which somehow never managed to made the way into a proper dictionary.

Let’s see how it goes. Judging my his horrible Off White collection today, my hopes are very low.

It was unsettlingly terrible indeed. But its what the kids want. They line up the block for this trash while you can shoot a cannon in shops in Soho. He's a smart guy, I'll give him that.

I saw a transparent monogrammed speedy with a plastic chain strap as sort of a preview, I guess.. judging by it it’s going to be a collection full of gimmicks and I expect nothing less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->