Madonna Fashion Exhibit

^^^Definitely!

Yeah, I always see Lola as Arrested Development's Maeby, and Madonna as her clueless, youth-obsessed mother Lindsay desperately trying to keep up with the kids: Maeby telling her mom that she looks really good in a baby-tee with "SHE-MALE" written across the chest 'cause all the cool kids are wearing it is how I see Lola giving Madonna "advice" on fashion.

Having said that, her archive has/is being shamelessly plundered by the current crop of pop queens. Beyonce's ad for her current tour-- all thanks to Madonna-alumni Jonas & Bea Ackerlund is a complete rip off of Madonna's MTV Vogue performance and the reboot of her Marie Antoinette persona during the Re-Invention Tour.

^^^Definitely!

Yeah, I always see Lola as Arrested Development's Maeby, and Madonna as her clueless, youth-obsessed mother Lindsay desperately trying to keep up with the kids: Maeby telling her mom that she looks really good in a baby-tee with "SHE-MALE" written across the chest 'cause all the cool kids are wearing it is how I see Lola giving Madonna "advice" on fashion.

I haven't seen that show, but I can totally imagine their conversations going as you've described them :lol:

Having said that, her archive has/is being shamelessly plundered by the current crop of pop queens. Beyonce's ad for her current tour-- all thanks to Madonna-alumni Jonas & Bea Ackerlund is a complete rip off of Madonna's MTV Vogue performance and the reboot of her Marie Antoinette persona during the Re-Invention Tour.

That Beyonce thing is so blatant :yuk: but really, Marie Antoinette is such a popular reference that it could hardly only ever ascribed to Madonna. Although, to my eyes, she has done the appropiation way better.

I just think that Madonna's body of work is so strong, it can't help but be plundered by the current pop vixens. They're getting their life from it, and I bet Madonna is getting a kick out of it too, admiring the homages.

Maeby actually tells her mom that it's a cool designer pronounced "SHAMEL" like "CHANEL"-- it's not "She-Male". LOL

I love that Madonna's past collaborators are giving these new pop queens pretty much the same looks and concepts that they've already given Madonna. That Beyonce tour ad is hilarious: It's like she looted Madonna's past costumes and is wearing them all at once-- she even has her own Donna & Nicki.

I'd love to see Madonna's wardrobe around 82-85 in an exhibit, but I'm sure since they were her personal rags, and they're all gone now. After Lori left, Madonna's style lost me-- although I think the "Nothing Really Matters" video is sheer bliss and I only took interest whenever Gaultier would dress her-- those 2 will grow old together with him still dressing her when she's 99 years old.

all i know is this...

*every club kid in NYC was dressing like that in the years from 82-88...
before and after madonna did it...

and if you walk around NYC on the weekend now---around the lower east side especially...
you will see madonna wannabes all over the place...
the pointy toed ankle boots with buckles that everybody used to buy on w. 8th street are all over the place and you will even see girls with rags tied in their hair---
like madonna, or bananarama, or dexy's midnight runners, or the thompson twins...
it's a basic new wave look---
but madonna was never new wave---she just dressed like that cause it was cool...

i could go on...

madonna was the most mainstream, so she got the most credit...
but everyone was doing it...
and they are doing it again!!!

:shock:...

seriously---

thing is...
i am not even sure they are aware of what they are doing...
they are just buying stuff and wearing it...
they are too young to even know where it's being copied from...
it's the designers and the stylists that are bringing it back...
like the hats pushed back on their heads rather than pulled down over one eye...
and that sort of thing...

cah-razy!...

if you want to see madonnas's wardrobe from the 80's/90's...
you could just stop into topshop in NYC sometime...
:lol:...

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ Oh yeah, kids are wearing that style again, it's here in Toronto as well babe...it's everywhere. The Duran Duran mini-trilby that everyone wore in the early 80s is back in full force as well. For kids, I think H&M and Urban Outfitters accessibility to instant vintage is making real vintage-hunting becoming obsolete.

Nothing beats that genuine, authentic ragtag-look from the early-80s That's why that TopShop thing doesn't look right to me-- kind of like when designers like Karl and Versace do "punk". It's all very superficial, shallow and "fashion". It's too clean and phony-- it's missing the grit and rawness. Old-skool Madonna did it right, to me. It was-- and always will be, in the details. Even watching these old videos of all the Madonna-wannabes on Youtube, 99% didn't get it right. I guess that's the difference between just being fashionable, and having style

excuse me but saying that she ripped off Lauper's look is blatantly ignorant.You seem to keep forgetting that Madonna was indeed an original NYC club kid of the era who,while hitting the big time,brought the whole aesthetic to the global limelight.As Littleathquakes stated they were merely contemporaries so it's not really surprising that their style backgrounds were similar.Long story short,as she herslelf said back in 1995 "'When I'm dead they'll finally kiss my ***" and that,i think,fits the debate over the measure of her fashion influence like a glove

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookbabe001
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->