Madonna

versustito

Reaction score
credit: billboard
madonna-2003-billboard-1548.jpg

Madonna Louise Ciccone (born August 16, 1958) is an American singer, songwriter, actress, and businesswoman. Referred to as the "Queen of Pop" since the 1980s, Madonna is known for pushing the boundaries of songwriting in mainstream popular music and for the imagery she uses onstage and in music videos. She has frequently reinvented her music and image while maintaining autonomy within the recording industry. Although having sparked controversy, her works have been praised by music critics. Madonna is often cited as an influence by other artists.

Born and raised in Michigan, Madonna moved to New York City in 1978 to pursue a career in modern dance. After performing as a drummer, guitarist, and vocalist in the rock bands Breakfast Club and Emmy, Madonna signed with Sire Records in 1982 and released her eponymous debut album the next year. She followed it with a series of successful albums, including global bestsellers Like a Virgin (1984) and True Blue (1986) and Grammy Award winners Ray of Light (1998) and Confessions on a Dance Floor (2005). Many of her songs have reached the top of record charts worldwide, including "Like a Virgin", "La Isla Bonita", "Like a Prayer", "Vogue", "Take a Bow", "Frozen", "Music", "Hung Up", and "4 Minutes".

Madonna's popularity was further enhanced by her roles in films such as Desperately Seeking Susan (1985), Dick Tracy (1990), A League of Their Own(1992), and Evita (1996). While Evita earned her a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress, many of her other films received poor reviews. As a businesswoman, Madonna founded an entertainment company called Maverick (including the label Maverick Records) in 1992. Her other ventures include fashion design, children's books, health clubs, and filmmaking. She contributes to various charities, having founded Ray of Light Foundation in 1998 and Raising Malawi in 2006.

Having sold more than 300 million records worldwide, Madonna is noted as the best-selling female recording artist of all time by Guinness World Records. The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) listed her as the second highest-certified female artist in the U.S., with 64.5 million album units. According to Billboard, Madonna is the most successful solo artist in its Hot 100 chart history. She is also the highest-grossing solo touring artist of all time, accumulating $1.4 billion from her concert tickets. Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in her first year of eligibility, Madonna topped VH1's countdown of 100 Greatest Women in Music. Additionally, Rolling Stone listed her among the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time and the 100 Greatest Songwriters of All Time.

Moderator's note:

• In order to improve site performance, long threads that are draining our loading time will be closed and we are going to be periodically starting new threads. This should help pages load faster.
• Please remember that not everyone is on a fast connection, or has a large screen, and keep your picture sizes to 800 pixels or less in the largest dimension. This will also help with page load speed.
• Please refrain from posting the same images as contained in the archived threads (e.g. in the old closed thread).
• Please remember to stay on topic... All off topic discussion will be removed.
• Please do not power post e.g. make empty posts with no info/questions/images - Empty posts cause threads to grow rapidly and is a nuisance to those who subscribe to many threads. Please take any private conversations to PMs or Profile Comments.
• To view previous thread, click here.

Thank you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Madonna at the 5th Annual Fashion Delivery Awards

facebook/madonnachile

Last edited by a moderator:
Caras, February 19th 2010

Caras nº 785

scanned by me

Madonna speaks on Ellen

Date: 10-Nov-2010
Madonna has joined the likes of Kathy Griffin and President Barack Obama to add her support to young gay people going through a difficult time. Inspired by the It Gets Better Project and speaking on Ellen,Madonna credits the gay community for her career and tells the TV talk show host that charity really does begin at home.

http://www.dnamagazine.com.au/articles/news.asp?news_id=13325&c=102522

Dolce and Gabbana in Tribute to Linda Evangelista

Domencio Dolce and Stefano Gabbana think Linda Evangelista is the ultimate model.
The design duo have worked with many beauties over the years but believe the Canadian star is the best in the industry because she is both “masculine and feminine”.
Domencio said: “For me Linda Evangelista encapsulates the Dolce & Gabbana aesthetic, because she’s like Ana Magnani and Sophia Loren. She’s string and has character.”
Stefano added: “Linda’s masculine and feminine. She is! She did a lot of Dolce & Gabbana men’s campaigns for us in the beginning.”
While Linda is their dream model, Domencio and Stefano admit one of the most memorable moments in their 20-year career is when Madonna donned one of their creations.
Domenico said: “A memorable moment for me was when we met Madonna in New York. We had always looked at Madonna as fans. We would say, ‘Ah, can you imagine if one day Madonna dressed in Dolce & Gabbana?’ 18 months later the dream came true.”
The designers also revealed how they could never choose their favourite collection because it would feel like picking between children.
Stefano said: “It’s impossible to say what is our favourite collection. That’s as if you have 10 children and somebody says choose one - you can’t!”
Domenico added to Britain’s InStyle magazine: “We couldn’t even choose between our dogs - Dali, Rosa and Toto.”

http://blog.fragrancedirect.co.uk/do...ista-2496.html

Madonna Opens Her Gym ''Hard Candy Fitness'' in Mexico City November 29, 2010

tlfan

I think 'repulsive' is a bit strong. The main problem is she has a major case of pillow face due to the over use of fillers, give her a few months and she will look fine again. American derm's aren't known largely for their restraint and it looks as though she's been a victim of this.

You have to admit though she has gorgeous skin, even in the HQ shot she looks flawless and isn't wearing much makeup at all.

The skin is wonderful indeed but she looks like she is 80 and falling apart ! Starting from the face !

She is truly truly grotesque.....almost monstrous.
I used to look up to her so much-in her prime I would never have guessed that she would cave into the pressures of society like so many tragic bores-she used to walk to the beat of her own drum and now she is the worst kind of follower.
She would have been so stunning if she aged naturally, I can just imagine it! In 5 years she will look like Jocelyn Wildenstein

I used to look up to her so much-in her prime I would never have guessed that she would cave into the pressures of society like so many tragic bores-she used to walk to the beat of her own drum and now she is the worst kind of follower.
She would have been so stunning if she aged naturally, I can just imagine it! In 5 years she will look like Jocelyn Wildenstein

She looks a lot better than the blonde woman stud next to her who I assume is actually younger than Madonna. I think the celebrity world has distorted our views a lot but I don't know any 'normal' 52 year old woman who looks better than Madonna so she's doing something right.

From a fashion perspective she is very hit and miss anyway when it comes to public appearances but when it comes to her videos and stage shows she is usually very fashion forward.

I can't help but think that most of the critique that Madonna has these days is rooted in ageism and that's just wrong.

^I actually think that the other woman looks better than Madonna:ninja:

She looks a lot better than the blonde woman stud next to her who I assume is actually younger than Madonna. I think the celebrity world has distorted our views a lot but I don't know any 'normal' 52 year old woman who looks better than Madonna so she's doing something right.

From a fashion perspective she is very hit and miss anyway when it comes to public appearances but when it comes to her videos and stage shows she is usually very fashion forward.

I can't help but think that most of the critique that Madonna has these days is rooted in ageism and that's just wrong.

Ageism?? Well she's the one that is trying to look younger than she is.....Both in appearance and image -that crotch shot posted on the last page is laughable.
I know plenty of women her age that don't look old...I think it's ageist to assume that you have to dress like a teenager and have botox to avoid looking like a "normal" 52 year old woman.

Agreed. I think the main problem is that her face looks puffy. Her cheeks are incredibly big compared to the rest of her face. It looks like her features completely changed. Scary.

Ageism?? Well she's the one that is trying to look younger than she is.....Both in appearance and image -that crotch shot posted on the last page is laughable.
I know plenty of women her age that don't look old...I think it's ageist to assume that you have to dress like a teenager and have botox to avoid looking like a "normal" 52 year old woman.

The point I was making is that just because she's 52 it doesn't mean she has to wear an 'age appropriate wardrobe' or stop being a sexual creature. It's kinda like how most people wince at the idea of older people being sexual but it's perfectly acceptable if your younger to present yourself in a sexual manner.

I remember seeing Julianne Moore in an Allure spread wearing a Herve Leger bathing suit that was more daring than Madonna's outfit in the crotch shot you were referring to (she looked amazing) but no one seems to have an issue with that because it's Julianne Moore. Same with Carine Rotfield, all I read are glowing comments about her outfits despite some of them being not 'age appropriate' and more power to her.

She's Madonna for godsake, she's always had a highly sexualized image and that isn't going to stop just because she's over 50. She has a great body for her age so why shouldn't she show it off if she wants to.

If it's not to your taste then that's cool but I think it's great that she's trying to fight against society's ideas of how a woman her age should act. Charlotte Rampling poses nude in her films and ad campaigns so why can't Madonna.

Just one more point about plastic surgery etc. You look at any of the women in the entertainment industry who have been around as long as Madonna they have all dabbled in it to varying extremes. It's kinda wrong to criticise Madonna for that then worship at the alters of people like Nicole Kidman. For better or worse icons, especially women, are expected to be superhuman and not age ( well in the U.S) so you can't blame her trying to remain youthful, it's necessary for her to stay competitive.

Besides I think if you polled most middle aged women the majority would indulge in it if money wasn't an issue. It's all about personal choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
madonna at the wolseley, london, britain - 22 dec 2010

isopix

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derekz7
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->