Makeup Tips for Black / African / Dark Skin?

WheresMyUmbrella

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I couldn't find a thread like this, so I decided to start one. :D

It's difficult to find makeup advice for darker skinned people, so if anyone has any tips or questions for african / black women, please post them in this thread!

Some resources that have helped me include:

0399532846.01._AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64099452_.jpg
credit: amazon.com
The Beauty of Color by Iman

and

Tia Williams' blog: "Shake Your Beauty"

I don't wear MAC foundation, but I'm an NW45 (for reference). Some products I loooove are:

- MAC powder blush - in raizin
- Classified Cosmetics ERA Spray Foundation - in R9
- YSL Lisse Gloss - in #3 cinnamon
- Ben Nye eyeshadow (so pigmented!!) - in various colors

The more people post, the better a resource this thread will be. :smile:

Great thread! I am (or was as I also no longer use MAC foundations) an NC44

I love

- NARS blush in Outlaw
- NARS lipgloss in Sandpiper
- NARS eyeshadow in Night Clubbing
- MAC lipstick in Sharp Beige
- MAC Mineralized Skinfinishes in Shooting Star & Gold Deposit
- Laura Mercier Secret Brightener
- Laura Mercier Lipstick in Pink Champagne
- Shu Uemura Eyeshadows, all the colors of the rainbow!
- Shu Uemura Eye Jelly in White
- Cargo Lipgloss in Soho
- Cargo Eyeshadows in Mojave & Aegean
- Armani Fluid Sheers

The best info on makeup I have ever gotten comes from Kevyn Aucion's makeup books Making Faces & Face Forward. They are my holy grails for information and I think they provide ideas and inspiration to people of all ethnicities.

I also like to watch and see what makeup beautiful stars like Kerry Washington and Thandie Newton are wearing :D

Becca stick foundations. they are amazing and for ANY and every ethnicity.

I wear MAC and I am an NW50. I agree it is very hard to find make up tips for darker skin. I love make up tutorials but they are usually for lighter skin people so I end up experiementing to get the right shades and blending.

I just bought a new NARS blush I belive the color is called Mounia, I love the color and I can mix it with clear lip gloss for a really cute gloss that is really flattering.

Most people always suggest Maroonish and Burgundy colors for African Americans but I dont really like looking so "heavy" all the time. I would love some tips on how to do a lighter peachy/pinkish face.

SanDiego said:
Most people always suggest Maroonish and Burgundy colors for African Americans but I dont really like looking so "heavy" all the time. I would love some tips on how to do a lighter peachy/pinkish face.

I think that your best bet for doing a lighter look is to find colors that are very pigmented but in lighter shades. Some pale colors look ashy on darker skin because they don't have enough pigmentation but if you go to a great brand like NARS (I love their blushes too, I'm dying to get Mounia) where all the colors are very pigmented you should be able to find something gorgeous.

I love the look Kerry Washington wears, she has a beautiful mahoghany complexion but her lips are usually pale and glossy. Its so simple and elegant. I find that a nice sheer gloss with a hint of blush is a beautiful look that isn't heavy or done. Cargo lipglosses are great for this since they're very sheer. I also love NARS Sandpiper as it looks good on just about everyone.

SanDiego said:
I wear MAC and I am an NW50. I agree it is very hard to find make up tips for darker skin. I love make up tutorials but they are usually for lighter skin people so I end up experiementing to get the right shades and blending.

I just bought a new NARS blush I belive the color is called Mounia, I love the color and I can mix it with clear lip gloss for a really cute gloss that is really flattering.

I'm on the fairer end of the AfAm scale, so I generally don't do maroons or burgundies. In terms of my eyes, I do Stila Jezebel (which is copper) and Twig (a dark brown). My blush is Prescriptives' Desert Rose.

For lips, it varies. Right now, I'm mainly using MAC Honey Flower as my neutral and Plum-Like if I want something cool and pinkish. I also use High Tea, which is a light beige that I mix if my eyes are dark and smudgy.

Great thread!:flower:

My best friend has the same problem... hard time finding her shade:doh:
My best suggestion is going to Nordstrom or something and have an artist there try foundation on your skin... Mac, Smashbox, Stila, Laura Mercier, etc.

But, if spending that much money isn't in the picture I don't know what to say... that's why I never buy drug store make up anymore. "Ma'am, don't open the products, please!":ninja:

Oh wait... good thing to try is find out your shade for the more expensive foundations.. and find it on ebay for cheaper!! Brand new!:flower:

A NC45 here, how do you girls avoid foundation turn ashy on your face? Which foundation to use and any tips?

I have only used Studio Fix and for alot of coverage Studio Tech, these have never gotten ashy on me.
I tried Clinique once, it looked a mess. I hear perscriptives does that custom match thing but its like $60!
Usually drug store brands turn ashy I like Mabelline Dream Matte Mouse, the girls in my friends wedding wore it and it looked good on even the darkest girls.
I think Nars is good for foundations too but I have only tried their blushes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah MAC foundations have never turned ashy on me either but I'm moving away from them as I've found them to be a tad heavy for my liking. I think that Laura Mercier makes great, lightweight foundations with a good range of colors and Nars is also good when it comes to color selection. Best bet for foundations not turning ashy is to look for a high quality product that does not have a pinkish undertone. Its also good to get a makeup artist to help you choose the exact right color. If you have the perfect color it wont get all ashy on you.

yes I have heard great things about NARS, one day Im going to cough up the money to buy it.

MAC Raizin Blush, and Mac Oh Baby Lipglass two classic black girl shades lol, I really want to try some NARS and Bobbi Brown stuff though.

beautiful black girl makeup

i'm not sure if a thread like this was started already but here i go, i love the fashion spot but i get frustrated in the beauty forums cause there isnt enough info for black girls, so i'm starting this thread for us to share our makeup advice and questions, hopefully this thread will not die, please keep it active girls

my features:

i have medium/dark cocoa colored skin with bronzey red undertones, my eyes are dark brown, and my hair is a jet black curly afro

the look i go for:

i like to look natural but polished, the only drama comes from a defined lashline, not alot of color in my face except i like rosy cheeks, and i wear dramatic colors on my nails, i kinda like an innocent doll look with a dash of haute couture

here are the products i use:

face- yves saint laurent teint parfait foundation ( i like this to blend into my moisturizer and apply with fingers when i want light coverage ), mac blot powder and mac concealor ( i like to cover spots with the concealor and swirl the powder in to blend and mattify the t-zone when i want a more polished look, i use brushes with these products )

cheeks- i am always looking for a good blush, at the moment i am using tarte gel stain in blushing bride which is a plum color that looks rosy pink on my cheeks, i love it for that pink look ( which is hard for black girls to find and when i go to makeup counters they always try to push bronzer on me ) but have to use so many layers to get the color i want and then its slightly shiny, i was considering trying powder blush again but i'm afraid of it fading ( the gel lasts really well ) and i never see colors i think will be comparable to the blushing bride, any advice???... i was also wondering about peach shades but not sure if any would be deep enough???

eyes- i don't use eye shadow, i use dior show black mascara and yves saint laurent black liquid liner ( i usually do a very delicate cat eye starting almost at the end of the outer corner and extending very very little, covering about the last 1/3 of the lash line, i do this more to enhance my eyelashes than to make a dramatic vampy lined look, if you do it light enough it's very natural looking ), i would like to do a smoky look with a black kohl liner like amel larrieux ( like me she doesnt use eye shadow just liner and mascara ) does but unsure of the technique, any advice???

lips- i dont like color on my lips but i like to define them and make them look bigger so i use alba botanica hawaiian coconut cream lip balm, let it absorb so my lips arent too slick but still moist, then line on the edge of the lipline for more fullness and softly fill in with lancome le crayon lipstique in bronzelle, i use the brush end to soften the edges, the key to make this look natural is to leave a little of the corners unlined and dont fill in the center all the way and then press lips together to even out, it takes practice to perfect this technique but it gives a great nude look, better than any gloss or lipstick i've tried, plus it doesnt feel heavy on my lips

nails- i keep my nails short, this spring/summer i wore a coral/tangerine color from essie or purple passion ( bright violet with soft shimmer ) from milani, for fall i will go back to my staple color which is a layer of brucci black velvet topped with a layer of brucci black cherry or i would like to alternate with a deep bronze or cocoa shade but i havent found one i like yet, any advice???

right well i'm not exactly black - but i'm dark.
i'm a Trini gal (mix = Indian/Nepalese/Spanish/African/Native)
i don't really have African features - but you can definitely see it in me.

i use:
-Cover FX B15 Cream Foundation (or Liquid at times) - gives me the best tone and colour match. Otherwise one would consider me a close MAC NC45 (but not perfect match).
-honey.. i've found that PERFECT peachy blush!!!! It's another Cover FX product called: Bronzed FX in Golden Peach. It's wonderful and just a dab will do. It's a pressed powder blush and you can build it up.
-my lips are small.. and my focus is on my eyes. i use Loreal Lineur Intense in black (bristle brush only) and do the upper cat eye thing. i use a lavender/violet/plum eyecrayone or shadow. i emphasize my upper eye crease with dark brown shading. My eyebrows are arched anyways.. so i just use Bonne Bell espresso eyeliner as a eyebrow pencil.
-mascara = Cover Girl Super Thick Lash (i alternate with Lash Exact).
-lipstick = the Organic Makeup Company - Nutmeg. It's a lovely neutral real brown that just gives your lips a darker neutral colour.

So that's my look.
Thanks for opening up and interesting thread.

ooh no thank you lady soo much!!!

so what is this brand cover fx and does that blush have shimmer, i dont like shimmery blush, is this brand new???

gruveechik said:
right well i'm not exactly black - but i'm dark.
i'm a Trini gal (mix = Indian/Nepalese/Spanish/African/Native)
i don't really have African features - but you can definitely see it in me.

i use:
-Cover FX B15 Cream Foundation (or Liquid at times) - gives me the best tone and colour match. Otherwise one would consider me a close MAC NC45 (but not perfect match).
-honey.. i've found that PERFECT peachy blush!!!! It's another Cover FX product called: Bronzed FX in Golden Peach. It's wonderful and just a dab will do. It's a pressed powder blush and you can build it up.
-my lips are small.. and my focus is on my eyes. i use Loreal Lineur Intense in black (bristle brush only) and do the upper cat eye thing. i use a lavender/violet/plum eyecrayone or shadow. i emphasize my upper eye crease with dark brown shading. My eyebrows are arched anyways.. so i just use Bonne Bell espresso eyeliner as a eyebrow pencil.
-mascara = Cover Girl Super Thick Lash (i alternate with Lash Exact).
-lipstick = the Organic Makeup Company - Nutmeg. It's a lovely neutral real brown that just gives your lips a darker neutral colour.

So that's my look.
Thanks for opening up and interesting thread.

Does anyone have lipgloss/lipstick recommendations (esp. Nars) for a nude lip? Please oh please oh please. :flower:

I'm in love with Bobbi Brown foundations I've been searchin for years but no other brands had the rich color that many black women have other foundations that were close to my skin color always made my skin look dull
Black Opal has pretty good foundations for a decent price if your not willing to spend too much

lorac has some really good shades for nude lips for darker complexions.

Luxx said:
Great thread! I am (or was as I also no longer use MAC foundations) an NC44

I love

- NARS blush in Outlaw
- NARS lipgloss in Sandpiper
- NARS eyeshadow in Night Clubbing
- MAC lipstick in Sharp Beige
- MAC Mineralized Skinfinishes in Shooting Star & Gold Deposit
- Laura Mercier Secret Brightener
- Laura Mercier Lipstick in Pink Champagne
- Shu Uemura Eyeshadows, all the colors of the rainbow!
- Shu Uemura Eye Jelly in White
- Cargo Lipgloss in Soho
- Cargo Eyeshadows in Mojave & Aegean
- Armani Fluid Sheers

The best info on makeup I have ever gotten comes from Kevyn Aucion's makeup books Making Faces & Face Forward. They are my holy grails for information and I think they provide ideas and inspiration to people of all ethnicities.

I also like to watch and see what makeup beautiful stars like Kerry Washington and Thandie Newton are wearing :D

great info!!!! :flower: Does that Secret Brightener from Laura Mercier work well? Does it get rid of the dark spots/circles/and or other discolorations or is it more of a concealer? i'm looking for something that will rid my face of these little tiny discolorations around my face...and give me a more even tone without putting on concealer or foundation.

Big Bare Escentuals fans here. The foundation I use is DEEP and I also use the TINTED mineral veil - the regular one that comes in the kit will not work for brown skin, least it hasn't worked for me nor my sister.

Arbonne creme stick foundation in N14 is great too, but I prefer powder, so I don't use it often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yohjiyamamotor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->