MET Costume Institute Gala 2023 : Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Who’s excited for the upcoming MET Gala exhibition due to be held on May 1st, 2023 which is dedicated to the work of Karl Lagerfeld?

Vogue just announced Michaela Coel, Penélope Cruz, Roger Federer and Dua Lipa will join Anna Wintour in co-chairing this year:

Roger Federer as co-chair for an exhibition dedicated to the life and work of Karl Lagerfeld makes zero sense, and is purely only there for the pleasure of Anna Wintour. Penélope Cruz makes sense given the fact she's a Chanel brand ambassador, but I'm also not sold on Michaela or Dua!

Obviously there will be some Lagerfeld favourites in attendance (I would imagine) but someone like Amanda Harlech or even Virginie Viard who were right-hand people to the man himself, would have been a nice touch as co-chairs for the occasion.

What an extremely random line-up of people who had nothing to do with Karl (besides Penélope, of course). I doubt that the MET Gala is so desperate for press that they need people of the moment co-chairing this event. As mentioned, Amanda Harlech, Virginie Viard or even someone like Claudia Schiffer, Sofia Coppola, even Lily Rose Depp would've made more sense! People with connection to Karl and his legacy. But I guess that's simply not what this is about anymore... pity.

Hope to see all of his favorite muses on the red carpet at least, in their archival pieces of course.

^ I don't think the co-chairs are are always associated with the theme of the exhibition. Thinking of years past, what does Bradley Cooper have to do with Charles James? Aerin Lauder was a co-chair the year of the Rock n Roll fashion themed exhibit. Tom Brady was the year of Rei Kawakubo, Justin Timberlake the year of Model as Muse, Serena Williams the year of Camp. I could go on. I think it's just people that Anna likes.

They're all fit, attractive, Europeans with Vogue covers (even Roger had a cover when Men's Vogue was a thing) so I don't feel Karl would disapprove.

I'm getting more excited for the accompanying catalogue!

Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty
Andrew Bolton, Tadao Ando, Amanda Harlech, Mellissa Huber, Kai Marcel, Loïc Prigent

9781588397584.jpg

A compelling look at the aesthetic and historical significance of Lagerfeld’s work—from his elegantly tailored pieces for Chanel to the witty, playful ensembles that came to define the Lagerfeld brand

This publication is the first to present an insightful overview of Karl Lagerfeld’s (1933–2019) artistry across his extraordinary 65-year career as a fashion designer and creative visionary—from early work for Balmain and Patou in the 1950s and designs for Chloé and Fendi in the 1960s and 1970s, to his celebrated leadership in the 1980s and beyond at Chanel and with his own label. Inspired by the “line of beauty” theorized by the sixteenth-century English painter William Hogarth, this dazzling publication pursues four “lines”—straight, serpentine, satirical, and explosive—as a means of defining Lagerfeld’s unique creative process. An introductory text uses these concepts to explore such topics as the masculine-perceived art of tailoring, the traditionally feminine art of dressmaking, Lagerfeld’s use of irony and parody, and the way these three modes converge in surprising, disruptive, and innovative ways. Thematic chapters illustrating the dualities in Lagerfeld’s work, an illustrated timeline of his career, and reminiscences from the designer’s friends and colleagues accompany new photography of 155 garments, as well as Lagerfeld’s illustrations, material samples, personal photographs, and drawings, many never before published.

Format: Hardback
ISBN: 9781588397584
Published: 23rd May 2023
Imprint: Metropolitan Museum of Art
Dimensions: 288 pages - 330 x 228 mm
Illustrations: 220 color illus.

yalebooks.co.uk

(I'm feeling kind of tempted to book a trip to see the exhibit, but... I probably shouldn't because I'm job searching and will *fingers crossed* have a new job by then. I last visited (coincidentally) during Notes on Camp, which didn't make an impression on me at all.)

Last edited:
I’m afraid of what the MET GALA would look like given that Karl wasn’t a big fan of Redcarpet dressing and cared more about how interesting clothes would look irl.
I’m expecting something very much elegant and I hope the people invited by the sponsors will wear indeed archive Karl and not Virginie or Kim’s clothes.
And I hope people will wear Vintage…

Unfortunately I’m also expecting some costumes with white hair and black suits…

As for the exhibition, I’m definitely excited to go and see even if 150 pieces in 5 decades seems a bit limited for me. And I wonder if that exhibition will be more substantial than the one Amanda curated in Germany.

Can't wait for the beige dresses and the black suits.

00760h.jpg

someone needs to run into the archives and snatch this piece of history!

More on the upcoming exhibition via Vogue:

I've never visited one of the met's yearly exhibits but i think i might go see this one

Im rather puzzled…From May to July?
I need for the next museum that does an exhibition about his work to at least have a 6 months run…

One person I do hope to see attend the event is Princess Caroline of Monaco, who I've always thought wears Chanel so effortlessly and of course was a great friend of Karl Lagerfeld. Throw Carole Bouquet into the mix as well for good measure.

I'd love to see Caroline re-wear the Chanel dress from the Spring 2004 Haute Couture collection to which she wore back in 2004 (and worn by Nadja Auermann on the runway)! One of my absolute favourite Chanel collections.

One person I do hope to see attend the event is Princess Caroline of Monaco, who I've always thought wears Chanel so effortlessly and of course was a great friend of Karl Lagerfeld. Throw Carole Bouquet into the mix as well for good measure.

I'd love to see Caroline re-wear the Chanel dress from the Spring 2004 Haute Couture collection to which she wore back in 2004 (and worn by Nadja Auermann on the runway)! One of my absolute favourite Chanel collections.
Tbh she should do an exhibition in MonteCarlo or have her clothes featured at something like Palais Galliera. She might have the largest collection of Karl’s clothes. They have been friends since the Chloe days…

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->