Most Overpriced Designer? #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

faust

Reaction score
The Y3 thread gave me an idea for this thread. So, who do you think is the most overpriced designer, not for the $$$ tag alone, but for what you get for your money? I pick Yohji Yamamoto. His prices just don't make sense to me. On our recent visit, a pair of simple RAYON women's pants was $560. Second place goes to Prada, I think her clothes are really simple, not too high quality and come with a very hefty tag. So, fire away!!!

I think they all are overpriced. I don't know how anyone can justify asking for $200 for a T-shirt, $300 for a pair of filp flops or $900 for a cotton skirt. If you take the designer label out, those same items would sell for a fraction of the price. :innocent:

I think we should stick to overpriced designers rather than a whole "designer clothes are not worth it" kind of thing (no offence stylegurl).

My votes are:-

1. Michael Kors/Celine. An utter waste of space and money. About as much design merit as a Next suit.

2. Armani black label. Nuts. And the same stuff for the last 20 years.

3. Touleh. Posh prom girl fake Chanel tat.

4. Proper (not polo) Ralph Lauren.

5. Lucien Pellat-Finet. Can some one please explain the prices of this stuff to me? Cashmere can only be so good. I'm from Scotland where all the stuff is made and I know for a fact that it just should not cost nearly as much as it it sold for.

6. YY too. Another big black baggy suit jacket? That will be £1000 please!

That will do for the moment!

Agreed , FAUST , for Yohji Yamamoto's mainline collections . :wink:

Couture prices for simple ready to wear !!! :angry:

You can ALWAYS spot a designer ' scam ' , when you hear the term ,

' PRET A PORTER DE LUXE ' !!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

KIT :innocent:

i don't know...i kind of agree with stylegurrl...

they are all ridiculous these days...in the past two years prices have gone through the roof...

but i guess the first one that came to mind was armani...just because it's so basic and i think the quality of the fabric has declined over the years...

edit-but now that i think of it...this collection is stronger than usual...i don't know...

i think i'd have to go season by season...i don't think i can generalize... :flower:

When clothes ISN'T expensive, sometimes I feel like it's just not as nice. It's psychological.

i will agree with both stylegurrl and softie,
no idea who is the most overpriced (they most seem to be for me)
but for best value for money,
i must vote Ellie Kishimoto & Helmut Lang :heart:

Originally posted by stylegurrl@Jun 25th, 2004 - 11:58 am
I think they all are overpriced. I don't know how anyone can justify asking for $200 for a T-shirt, $300 for a pair of filp flops or $900 for a cotton skirt. If you take the designer label out, those same items would sell for a fraction of the price. :innocent:
Excellent point - I believe they are ALL overpriced. Buut, if we are going with the most overpriced of the overpriced, I would have to pick Chanel.

Dior is so overpriced, really, super overpriced :doh:

Chanel, I think it's ridiculous how can a tweed jacket cost $5000, when it's just simple tweed, cut, sewn and shaped... I dunno, I think it's retardedly overpriced :lol:

the moschino cheap and chic line is pretty expensive for what you get... same with marc by marc... the quality of both lines is verrrry questionable :wacko:

overpriced but worth it: I would have to say Canali suits (they fit great :smile:) and from what I've experienced, Valentino is great quality too.

totally nader.........marc jabobs menswear is:shock: SO OVERPRICED

and burberry is too for that......its not even anything special :rolleyes:

I would have to say:
1) Chanel

2) Versace...as much as I love it

3) Fendi

4) John Galliano

5) Anything Couture :flower:

My first choice would be Marc Jacobs, some of his stuff, especially from the Marc by Marc line is sooooo expensive, I could understand if you're getting something that's made from expensive fabric or very well designed, but it's basic casual wear!

Also, some of JPG's ready to wear pieces are really overpriced considering what they are. I'm not talking the stuff from the runway, I'm talking basic commercial stuff......it's rediculous what he charges for a mesh top or jeans.

Some Chanel is kinda pricey too..........

Originally posted by Spike413@Jun 25th, 2004 - 3:23 pm
My first choice would be Marc Jacobs, some of his stuff, especially from the Marc by Marc line is sooooo expensive
But his stuff goes on sale afterwards like WHOA... I bought a yellow short coat at Bloomingdales for 60 dollars :shock:

Originally posted by Spike413@Jun 25th, 2004 - 4:23 pm
My first choice would be Marc Jacobs, some of his stuff, especially from the Marc by Marc line is sooooo expensive, I could understand if you're getting something that's made from expensive fabric or very well designed, but it's basic casual wear!
Marc by Marc Jacobs is what came to my mind too. The 'genre' is unusual compared to most other lines right now, but that's all he has going for him. I know the idea is that the clothes are supposed to be simple & demure -- but they are poor fits. Fit shouldn't have to be sacrificed in order to stay away from sexy cuts. His cottons aren't soft weaves, and he never uses luxury fabrics. (I do like the cashmere pieces he has in Marc Jacobs collection sometimes.)

Most Expensive and not even worth it:

1. Dior-not worth a penny quality-wise nor style-wise...especially since you can make up your own crap garb from Flea Markets.

2. Prada. As Faust said,I think for all that's been hyped over her,I don't think she,Miuccia,nor their manufacturers have redeemed themselves for quality workmanship. It stinks,really.

3. Marc Jacobs. Not comment needed.

Best Quality for Ones money:

Any Belgian designer comes to my mind--Branquinho,Persoons,Margiela(although I think that this is becoming less of an option since his partnership with Diesel)Vandevorst,Wim Neels,Schönberger,Simons,Van Noten etc. etc. all are great craftsmen to me and quite reasonably priced at that. In fact,I was aghast at some of the prices these designers put on the tags---very affordable,I must say.

I would also make a guess and say Tess Giberson's work appears to have wonderful quality as she spends so much time at constructing each piece with a tremendous amount surface work as well.

Carol Christian-Poell

Boudicca

Jessica Ogden(I've seen her stuff up-close---its lovely what she does to and within a garmet)

I'd have to say versace, i think it seems overpriced to me even more so because i don't really like any of it much at all.

definately Prada....I have a couple of shirts that I got cheap at outlets, also John Varvatos, Chanel, JPG, Armani ( :sick: ).....Well worth is for me are Dolce, Valentino, Bruno Magli, Bally, Benetton....stuff I wear I guess, I would never pay outrageous prices for clothes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashiongloss
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->