NY Post's 50 Best Dressed Women In NYC

Spacemiu

Reaction score
Pretty good over all :flower: :blush:

1 & 2. Alexandra & Theodora Richards, daughters of Rolling Stone Keith Richards and model Patti Hansen

Why they're on the list: They combine sass and style, mixing thongs and Abercrombie & Fitch with Vera Wang and Arden B.

Defining fashion moment: Stealing attention at the Paris couture shows.

3. Chloe Sevigny, indie actress

Why she's on the list: Her daring style predates Carrie Bradshaw's.

Defining fashion moment: Wearing a dress by recently deposed YSL designer Alber Elbaz to the Golden Globes in 2000.

4. Nicole Kidman, Oscar-winning actress

Why she's on the list: Vogue's current cover girl is grace embodied.

Defining fashion moment: Her chartreuse John Galliano gown at the 1999 Oscars.

5.  :heart: Bjork, elfin Icelandic performer

Why she's on the list: Sheer guts. Bjork's favorite designers are beau Matthew Barney, Gaelyn & Cianfarani, and Kim Jones. Defining fashion moment: That swan dress.

6. Karen O, lead singer of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Why she's on the list: She's a radical, wearing funky ripped and graffiti-covered frocks.

Defining fashion moment: When she first doused her dress in Heineken at a show.

7. Debbie Harry, Blondie lead singer

Why she's on the list: She's still a perfect muse at 58.

Style secret: Still wears the duds Steven Sprouse made for her in the '70s.

8. Fran Lebowitz, author

Why she's on the list: She's prone to white shirts and black blazers by pals Calvin Klein and Diane von Furstenberg.

Defining fashion moment: Once tried to get herself banned from all fashion shows by slagging them off in a column.

9. Iman, model

Why she's on the list: No one makes an entrance like this towering Somalian beauty, who blends vintage Halston, Donna Karan and Isaac Mizrahi.

Style secret: She shops on Style.com.

10. Diane Sawyer, co-anchor of "Good Morning America"

Why she's on the list: Sawyer looks modern and never premeditated.

Style secret: Her closets are arranged by color.

11. Diane von Furstenberg, designer

Why she's on the list: Her eclectic taste: patterns, fur, buddy Christian Louboutin's super-high heels.

Defining fashion moment: She attracted as much attention as her signature wrap dress when she launched it in 1974.

12. Diana Taylor, New York State's superintendent of banking - and Mayor Bloomberg's significant other

Why she's on the list: Taylor has updated her overly taupe wardrobe with Oscar de la Renta and Armani.

Defining fashion moment: Five pages in Vogue's August issue in which she was seen in a gorgeous Chado Ralph Rucci gown.

13. Liv Tyler, actress

Why she's on the list: Her old-fashioned but sexy style is dictated by her own good taste, not trends or her size.

Style secret: At 5-foot-10, she's a fan of flats, including Marc Jacobs ballet shoes and Converse All-Stars.

14. Molly Simms, model/actress

Why she's on the list: The model-actress has finally got her fashion groove on.

Style secret: "If you're at home and it doesn't look good in the mirror, it's not going to look good anywhere else."

15. Stephanie Seymour, model and designer

Why she's on the list: No one looks better in vintage Azzedine Alaia than Seymour.

Defining fashion moment: Her transformation from big-haired rock star girlfriend to a glamorous '90s society woman.

16. Thelma Golden, director of the Studio Museum of Harlem

Why she's on the list: She's not afraid to use bright colors and dazzle a room of staid museum donors.

Style secret: Insists on standing out from the crowd.

17. Olivia Chantecaille, cosmetic businesswoman

Why she's on the list: Simple, studied elegance.

Style secret: A great complexion is essential - she favors her own Rose Water toner.

18. Kelly Ripa, TV hostess/actress

Why she's on the list: An un-self-conscious style: "If it's clean, I put it on."

Style secret: Looks for cool fashions and avoids the fancy couture.

19. Jane Krakowski, Tony-winning star of "Nine"

Why she's on the list: Her image as Ally McBeal's sl*tty secretary has been blown away by her parade of elegant looks.

Style secret: They're called legs! And lots of 'em.

20. Nan Kempner, socialite

Why she's on the list: She has one of the biggest - and most expensive - wardrobes in America.

Style secret: She's so skinny, she gets a discount, since she fits into sample sizes.

21. Julianne Moore, actress

Why she's on the list: Her stunning turn in dark green YSL at the Oscars this year.

Defining fashion moment: When she went mainstream, she rose to the challenge in consistently superior gowns.

22. Sarah Jessica Parker, "Sex and the City" actress

Why she's on the list: She knows which of Carrie's outfits to leave at work (knickers, hotpants) and which ones to bring home (floral printed coats, Manolo Blahniks).

Defining fashion moment: Her "SATC" contract demands that she gets to keep her character's clothes.

23. Christy Turlington, model and activist

Why she's on the list: Turlington's style is totally New York - from her Marc Jacobs eveningwear to her own line of Nuala yoga togs.

Style secret: Right now, it's pregnancy chic.

24. Zoe Cassavetes, actress

Why she's on the list: Like her best friend Sofia Coppola, she has a West Coast style that works - and a pal named Marc Jacobs.

Style secret: She favors A.P.C. and Agnes b.

25 & 26. Carolina Herrera and Patricia Herrera, mom/daughter design duo

Why they're on the list: Though their personal styles are quite different, they complement each other perfectly.

Style secret: Patricia and her two sisters are equally uniquely iconic dressers.

27. Toni Senecal, host of WB11's "Toni Time"

Why she's on the list: Senecal has a sexy appeal that translates onscreen. She favors Dolce & Gabbana, Jean Paul Gaultier, Vivienne Westwood.

Defining fashion moment: Remember Robert Palmer's infamous "Addicted to Love" video? She was in it.

28. Meredith Viera, co-host of The View

Why she's on the list: For a daytime TV star, she's approachable and pretty, not plastic. And she dresses her age.

Style secret: High heels for seated segments only.

29. Elliot Puckette, artist

Why she's on the list: This smart Southern gal prefers Levis and T-shirts over fancy designer labels.

Style secret: Her paintings and Brooklyn brownstone were featured in "The Royal Tenenbaums."

30. Hope Atherton, artist

Why she's on the list: The cool downtown girl everyone wants to have at their party.

Style secret: Dressing outside the box: a pair of antique bloomers as a blouse.

31. C.Z. Guest, gardening guru

Why she's on the list: This columnist hasn't had a bad clothes day in her 83 years of getting dressed, wearing Oscar de la Renta, Carolina Herrera, Calvin Klein and shops at Bergdorf Goodman.

Defining fashion moment: Her first Mainbocher suit.

32. Lauren Bacall, actress

Why she's on the list: Old school glamour lives here. It's WASP-y chic.

Style secret: She's still got it enough to attract her new friend Nicole Kidman.

33. Bebe Neuwirth, actress

Why she's on the list: On stage and off, her fitted, sexy style works.

Style secret: Short dresses do wonders.

34. Amy Sedaris, writer

Why she's on the list: She's a genuine eccentric.

Style secret: "I dress like a deaf person, meaning I like loud patterns, shiny, colorful things,"she says.

35. Jaqui Lividini, senior VP at Saks Fifth Avenue

Why she's on the list: Sak's diminutive fashion diva has hot designer outfits.

Style secret: "She never met a heel she didn't love," says a colleague.

36. Holly Dunlap, designer

Why she's on the list: A dramatic flair - Day-Glo bright and decidedly girly.

Style secret: "I usually start with the shoes and work my wardrobe around them."

37. Jane Mayle, designer

Why she's on the list: Her simple, slightly retro style.

Style secret: She's influenced by 1950s film star Monica Vitti.

38. Sally Albemarle, sculptor

Why she's on the list: No one ever tires of watching her enter the room.

Style trademark: Elaborate beaded chokers, which accentuate her long neck.

39. Jennifer Connelly, actress

Why she's on the list: Her outside the fray style works: it's calm, elegant and never exaggerated. Defining fashion moment: Sticking a Gardenia into her long, black Narciso Rodriguez gown at the Golden Globes.

40. Cecilia Dean, founder of Visionaire magazine

Why she's on the list: Dean is always the most-photographed girl at whatever party she attends. Style secrets: Believing it's better to stand out than to blend into a crowd.

41. Marina Rust, writer

Why she's on the list: With her smart, elegant style, she's destined to become a fashion icon.

Style secrets: Rust lets them all out of the bag in her first-person pieces in Vogue.

42. Mary J. Blige, singer

Why she's on the list: Few singers have the stage presence - or the kick-butt wardrobe - she has.

Defining fashion moment: Chosen to rep M.A.C. cosmetics.

43. Cayli Cavaco, Teen Vogue

Why she's on the list: Her lifelong friends include Anna Sui, Marc Jacobs and Zac Posen. Any questions?

44. Milla Jovovich, model-turned-actress

Why she's on the list: Jovovich always looks different with her cute-retro-dresses and high-heeled-sandals.

Defining fashion moment: Scoring ad campaigns for Donna Karan with Jeremy Irons.

45. & 46. Sarah Easley/Beth Buccini, co-owners of Kirna Zabete

Why they're on the list: The Virginia-born best friends are the talk of our town due to their colorful fashion sense.

Style secrets: "I'm either sporty or designer," says Easley. "I like things mixed up and off the beaten path," says Buccini.

47. Amy Fine Collins, writer

Why she's on the list: Collin is the most impeccably turned-out journalist in town.

Defining fashion moment: Buying her first dress by Geoffrey Beene, the famed New York designer.

48. Bee Schaffer, fashion prodigy

Why she's on the list: Anna Wintour's daughter has been tagged a "fashion editor in training," but at just 16, she dresses with off-the-rack age-appropriateness.

Defining fashion moment: Her black-and-white Narciso Rodriguez slip dress at the 2003 CFDA Awards.

49. Eva Amurri, actress

Why she's on the list: Susan Sarandon's daughter has a penchant for dresses by Diane Von Furstenberg and Jill Stuart.

Defining fashion moment: At the Costume Institute Gala, wearing a Zac Posen gown on her body - and the designer on her arm.

50. Kate Spade, handbag maven

Why she's on the list: She modernizeda signature look - featuring pretty skirts and dresses, sweater sets and neat updo's.

Defining fashion moment: The day she and husband Andy sold their first trademark canvas bag.

I have only one argument: Debbie Harry.

She looked good in the Heart of Glass video, when she was, what, 35...but now? Yikes. She scares me, clothing and beauty alike!

karen o is the only one whose STYLE I admire in 2003

(tho eva amurri is pretty cute)

ive seen most of those at one time or another

there are many other socialites who dress better than those-- i think that Post list is commercial & mediocre

renee rockefeller is one but I cld name many more

Debbie Harry I see at least 2 times yearly for like 10+ years & given that shes 50 or whatevs shes STILL REALLY sexy in person!! and 5 years ago, dancing to jayne county's rock DJ set (stones, lou T rex doobies etc) debs was sooo hottt!!

shes an all time NY, rock & punk style icon

love her!!!!!

Originally posted by Spacemiu@Sep 17th, 2003 - 11:54 pm
1 & 2. Alexandra & Theodora Richards, daughters of Rolling Stone Keith Richards and model Patti Hansen

Why they're on the list: They combine sass and style, mixing thongs and Abercrombie & Fitch with Vera Wang and Arden B.

Ugh. Thongs are underwear, not accessories. I'm sick of people praising the visible thong, especially on teenagers.

Unless they mean thong sandals. :lol:

Originally posted by pearsandapples@Sep 17th, 2003 - 10:44 pm
karen o?

are they serious????
karen O rocks!!!!! truly outragous and completely daring
and original!!!!! why not?????

i don't find anything about her style unique, different, or appealing, i guess... but that is just me. i can't stand the way she dresses... and her attitude is less than sub par.

she dresses like any scenester, in any big city. no big deal.

and i do have to disagree with the nicole kidman inclusion.

she has not made a right fashion choice since her dior oscar dress.

she has been looking just awful lately. and the blonde hair/peach frost lip color isn't helping much.

Originally posted by little smoochie@Sep 17th, 2003 - 9:09 pm
Debbie Harry I see at least 2 times yearly for like 10+ years & given that shes 50 or whatevs shes STILL REALLY sexy in person!! and 5 years ago, dancing to jayne county's rock DJ set (stones, lou T rex doobies etc) debs was sooo hottt!!

shes an all time NY, rock & punk style icon

love her!!!!!
debbie 's head is HUGE :shock:

wayne/jane county ROCKS!!!!
if you dont wanna *word i cannot say* me ,baby, then you can just
* word i cannot say* off!!!

karen O is celebrated across teh world for her rowdy, raw, sexy, unfettered and influential punk style. NOT just her movers, which ARE sexy & raw, BUT HER CLOTHES.

AND the Yeah Yeahs CD is one of the best of the year.

Three cheers for Karen O

as she pours heinekin over her head

Originally posted by charlottesometimes@Sep 18th, 2003 - 8:08 am
Debbie Harry is 58?!! She looks great! :woot:
She scares me!!! :yuk:

Originally posted by charlottesometimes@Sep 18th, 2003 - 1:08 pm
:shock: I thought she was 50!

Chloe Sevigny?? :sick: Has she done anything since Boys Don't Cry?

~~Kim

i don't know about Fran Lebowitz & Kelly Rippa being best-dressed... :innocent:
and what's so extraordinary about Molly Sims style? she's very attractive & sexy, but best dressed is an exaggeration IMO
i :heart: J. Mayle, Mila Jovovich, Kirna Zabete ladies, Cecilia Dean & SJP

as i said i find the NY post selection of supposed 'stylish NYers' to be VERY mainstream & more wrong than right.

Few if any inspire me but Milla IS one of the better ones.

However, having seen her on the town many many times for a long time, I'll tell u that she can look ghastly at least HALF the time.

sure for premieres or in photo shoots shes styled & dressed by DK & many other top designers.

But she also looks like shes been up for 5 days & cant stand up straight other nights in NYC. the dark circles under her eyse are horror-movie-esque. Her slimess,howvere IS ADMIRABLE.

and shes one of the BETTER ones on the list.

also Chloe, early on I thought she had a unique & quirky dress sense. But then I saw HER in NYC often almost passed out with runny make up , greasy hair & skin and major fashion disasters {NOT the couture she is given & photo'd in in mags) and I can no longer rate Chloe's 'star style' and her inability to conduct a linear conversation confirms the belief that actreses are malajusted social creatures who only come alive in role playing. Hi Matt, hi paul! see you tonight! dont be late.

Originally posted by KikiB1@Sep 18th, 2003 - 11:30 am
Chloe Sevigny?? :sick: Has she done anything since Boys Don't Cry?

~~Kim
Some ppl think of her as a style goddess

I think of her as :yuk:

Originally posted by trean+Sep 18th, 2003 - 11:11 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(trean @ Sep 18th, 2003 - 11:11 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-charlottesometimes@Sep 18th, 2003 - 1:08 pm
:shock: I thought she was 50! [/b][/quote]
debbie is a goddes! :heart:

"28. Meredith Viera, co-host of The View
Why she's on the list: For a daytime TV star, she's approachable and pretty, not plastic. And she dresses her age.
Style secret: High heels for seated segments only. "

Ahead of Lauren Bacall et al? I think not! :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theaucourant
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->