Oh Love That! You Paid What? - NY-Times Article

Originally posted by Lena@Mar 25th, 2004 - 5:28 pm
true that advertising and super show productions raise the price of todays designer wear a lot.. i can't believe the prices stated in the NYT article, they are ridiculous and quite 'alien' to me.
On the other hand, i know people that spend as if there is no tomorrow on designer items, what can i say.. if they have the money, why not?
for this kind of clients, a ysl blouse becomes as common as 'our' Zara blouse after a while, they dont even concider their clothes special, its really no big deal if you are in a spending mood and you can really afford it.
the other time i was with a friend, she bought four pairs on Mjacobs shoes in half an hour, it was a common thing for her. She has so many shoes, it makes absolutely no difference for her, she does not even feel 'happy' when shopping. so...

i never spend much on clothes myself, i so agree with leyla on 'bargain' shopping .
one does not need lots of money to dress in a great way, all one needs is a sense of personal style
That's the sad part about people like that, or anyone else who is a shopaholic. Buying becomes so common to them, they don't even enjoy it anymore, it's something to fill up time. They don't much care for the clothes either, because they have so much of it, there is no relationship to it - it all becomes a blur.

Originally posted by faust@Mar 25th, 2004 - 5:49 pm
That's the sad part about people like that, or anyone else who is a shopaholic. Buying becomes so common to them, they don't even enjoy it anymore, it's something to fill up time. They don't much care for the clothes either, because they have so much of it, there is no relationship to it - it all becomes a blur.
Yup, kind of like anonymous sex...

Sorry, just couldn't resist.... :P

Originally posted by Orochian+Mar 25th, 2004 - 11:55 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orochian @ Mar 25th, 2004 - 11:55 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-faust@Mar 25th, 2004 - 5:49 pm
[/b][/quote]
HOW SAD, isnt it?? :cry:

i mean, isnt it for those people that fashion is often considered as superficial?
:cry: :cry:

While I think everyone is getting ripped off I think the British especially are concerning mid-market products like Seven jeans or P,d,&C jeans. My friends and I just don't understand why a Briton would buy something in the story when it's cheaper to buy it abroad and ship it. For example, I was in Gloss on Kings Road today and they had a pair of p,d&c I have (the ones that are ripping coincidentally :innocent: ) and they were selling for I believe 150 pounds. I paid 200 canadian and even then I saw them on a website (goclothing.com I believe) on sale for 120USD. I would be outraged! The fact that I could get the same pair of jeans for less than half the price?!!

Originally posted by leyla m.+Mar 25th, 2004 - 6:38 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(leyla m. @ Mar 25th, 2004 - 6:38 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Orochian@Mar 25th, 2004 - 11:55 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-faust
@Mar 25th, 2004 - 5:49 pm
That's the sad part about people like that, or anyone else who is a shopaholic.  Buying becomes so common to them, they don't even enjoy it anymore, it's something to fill up time.  They don't much care for the clothes either, because they have so much of it, there is no relationship to it - it all becomes a blur.

HOW SAD, isnt it?? :cry:

i mean, isnt it for those people that fashion is often considered as superficial?
:cry: :cry: [/b][/quote]
most definitely

I've become a prime bargain hunter now-i love stores like Tk Maxx (i think for Americans its called TJ Maxx) but I would never pay some of the ridiculous prices that some designers have. :angry: I think it's best to just buy a classic, well made bag like a Balenciaga and spend money on that, or great-fitting jeans by Earl or Seven. My jeans and bags are always going to cost more but stores like Topshop really do help for tops :wink: .

And i don't think all people do buy retail-like fashion editors get discount cards right? And then you get people like Anna Wintour-i doubt she has to pay for anything. :wacko: Celebrities get given stuff for free, and some stuff is just borrowed. And even if you do buy stuff as a celebrity you get a discount. In New York all I ever heard of was sample sales. Some prices are truly criminal though, so if you can get your hands on a discount card how amazing would that be? :P

While I think everyone is getting ripped off I think the British especially are concerning mid-market products like Seven jeans or P,d,&C jeans. My friends and I just don't understand why a Briton would buy something in the story when it's cheaper to buy it abroad and ship it. For example, I was in Gloss on Kings Road today and they had a pair of p,d&c I have (the ones that are ripping coincidentally ) and they were selling for I believe 150 pounds. I paid 200 canadian and even then I saw them on a website (goclothing.com I believe) on sale for 120USD. I would be outraged! The fact that I could get the same pair of jeans for less than half the price?!!

like Mehg said, some of the prices in London are awful-i just realised the first pair of sevens i bought was in NY, so I got them slightly cheaper. Btw MEhg where is Gloss? If i've been in it before i've never even realised...

I just found this thread and found it a really interesting read, so I though I'd bump it for others to read, it does have some very good points. :flower:

As prices seem to go up all the time, customers still seem to be buying though... like it's suddenly more 'exclusive', I think they are kidding themselves.

thanks for bumping. It was very interesting.
I especially agree with your last comment about exclusivity.
I was on another forum where they were complaining about copies being available of an expensive bag, making it less exclusive and so really bothering them.

I've only been following high end fashion for a little over a year, and have seen prices rise so much.. It's so frusturating :doh:

A very interesting thread with some good points. I feel that Prada is the brand i don't "get" the pricing of the most. Sometimes i'm surprised of the fact that some of the shoes or tee's isn't more expensive, and then, i see the nylon-wallets selling for like 400$, the nylon-bags for over 2k..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dima77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->