• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Olivia Hussey

Glittery_Bug

Reaction score
She was a classic beauty in the 1960s/1970s, and apparently wore no make up in Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet, her most famous film.

Flickr.com:

393947926_069374b43b.jpg

393947927_e8aae0d56b.jpg

400992962_594660cfb1.jpg

71612465_e45067a154.jpg

113144081_9b9f822275.jpg

421838141_e63470c164.jpg

www.themadcapper.net:

normal_RJ68_0455.jpg

normal_RJ68_1564.jpg

normal_RJ68_1538.jpg

normal_RJ68_0130.jpg

normal_RJ68_0146.jpg

normal_RJ68_0104.jpg

I remember seeing her in Romeo and Juliet and falling completely in love with her. She is (in my opinion) The Juliet :lol:

No offense to any Claire Danes fans :lol:

There is no doubt in my mind that she was the epitomy of what Juliet should look like and act like. A stroke of genius of casting on Zeffirelli's part. Her natural beauty was unmatched, her freshness, exuberance, the still child-like quality that suited the fourteen year-old she was portraying. I was so sorry she had such a short career. Does anyone have recent pictures of her ? The last I saw of her, in a magazine, she was going to portray Mother Teresa for a television series and had been horribly aged for the part. I don't even know if the series was eventually produced. She was also the perfect Mary in Jesus of Nazareth, again because of that quality of a combination of innocence and strength. I absolutely adored her ! I know she would probably never compare to the great actresses of the caliber of say, Merryl Streep, but we need actresses with that kind of artless innocence. Kind of like Nastasja Kinski, Genevieve Bujold. Alas, their career seems to peak too early. Are there any equivalent very young women these days ? I guess Scarlett Johanson in her first movies.

It's interesting you should say that (and I agree completely, btw!), considering she wasn't Zeffirelli's first choice for the role!

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Picture/3520/making.html

"The girl was more a problem. I had seen Olivia early on in the tests. She had some talent, but she was unfortunately overweight, clumsy-looking and bit her nails constantly - hardly the delicate Juliet I dreamt of. My first choice was a really beautiful girl who stood up because of her sensational hair, a golden cascade that was her best feature. I called her back a month later for a second test, but, when she walked in, my heart sank. The unisex era was just dawning and she had had her golden locks trimmed to look like a boy's. I was almost in tears, not merely because I had lost my Juliet but also because she had lost her chance of a lifetime ... In desperation I summoned back some of those I had earlier rejected and that was how I stumbled on the amazing transformation of Olivia. She was a new woman: she has lost weight dramatically. Her magnificent bone structure was becoming apparent, with those wide expressive eyes and her whole angular self. She was now the real Juliet, a gawky colt of a girl waiting for life to begin. I had my cast."

Apparently he also thought she was putting on too much weight and ordered pasta to be banned from the set! :P

There's a good interview with Olivia here - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2002/03/04/bfhussy04.xml

Source above

olivia.JPG

Glittery Bug, thanks so much for the background. The only story I remember was that he was concerned about her being a bit cross-eyed, as you can clearly see in the picture above. But most great beauties have something a bit assymetrical, a bit "wrong" with them. She is heartbreakingly gorgeous, as if she were wearing her soul on her face, with nothing in between. And the color of those eyes, grey-green, and so pure...

I wonder whatever happened to the other girl ? If she was so beautiful, she would have been beautiful with short hair also and could have gotten roles that called for short hair, a la Jean Seberg...

I just read the interviews, thanks so much. Do you know of any recent photographs of her ? What a strange life she has led, so unsettled. But meditation beats drugs as a way to find inner peace, bless her heart !

Olivia was and still embodies beauty in the most pristine, wistful, and captivating way. Even as a straight girl, I was immediately mesmerized by her eyes in Romeo and Juliet. She is quite possibly the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. :blush:

she's one of the reasons im named Juliet lol.

Oh, the power of movie stars ! I named my first daughter Natacha in double homage to Audrey Hepburn playing Natacha in War and Peace. Both the actress and the character she embodied were my ideal representation of femininity, grace, and the best combination of delicacy and strength of character that would leave her armed for life with the best qualities a woman has to offer.

I bet, being named Juliet, you must be a lot like Juliet-Olivia, passionate, as pure as fire and of the spirit of fire, intense, absolute (a poor translation for the very complimentary French word "entière", meaning you don't make compromises with your ideals). I bet you must feel you have to live up to the expectations the name has conferred on you too !

i think shes the most beautiful woman.. ive seen recent pictures of her.. i think you could google her and find her website. she sells some ethnic clothing or something like that on her website.. she still looks gorgeous even if shes on her 50's now..

i fell in love w/ her in romeo and juliet, even though im a straight girl. if i were to choose to have someone's face, it would olivia hussey's...

my mum sometimes calls me olivia and she calls herself audrey (hepburn).. hahah.. she says i sometimes resemble olivia because of my long black hair, my oval face, my eyes, my pure/innocent look.. but i dont look like her..
my mum is beautiful and gorgeous but she obviously doesnt look like audrey (my mother is korean) but has that classy aura.. people used to call her snow white when she was in middle/high school... and now some people refer her as audrey hepburn. lol this is so ot.

Last edited by a moderator:
photos from yahoo groups 60's actresses, and minimadmodsixties

Attachments

• amorcall_30603702.JPG
    amorcall_30603702.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 395
  • amorcalla_30603702.jpg
    amorcalla_30603702.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 54
  • img_3347664_980489_6.jpg
    img_3347664_980489_6.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 50
  • uuyi.jpg
    uuyi.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 63
She really is a natural beauty. Too bad a commodity like her is a rarity in ol Hollywood.

It is so rare to have a perfect face. But is a perfect face the ideal of a certain era or does it endure ? If you look at pictures of Olivia Hussey, there is no doubt that she would be considered to have a perfect face at any time, in any place, not just the sixties, although I think, since she looked so great with her long straight brown hair parted in the middle, she was the quintessential face of the sixties, for a teenager. But I am afraid she did not age very well. The book "b*tch" talks about all these teenage actresses who seemed so beautiful and promising , but faded quickly, for one reason or another. I think Olivia Hussey was a great, great actress, whether she would have kept her looks or not. She is one of my absolutely favorites of all time, if not my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maneaterwife
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->