Olivier Theyskens Set to Relaunch Namesake Collection

oh muuuch better than the dior news ^_^

and so will be his collection! really cant wait!

What a pleasure to have him back again; It was such a waste to have someone with his talent and skills doing nothing and hopefully He didn't lose his passion. Big congratulations to him

Best news of the day!

I will remain cautiously optimistic though. This could go really wrong for him. He's been out of HF for a few years now. With as fast as fashion changes, who knows whether people will appreciate what he has to offer. At the same time, exceptions for him are pretty high. Will people accept anything less? I wish him all the best. :heart:

Beyond thrilled to have him back! One of my absolute favorites and I just can't wait to see what he's been up to. I wish him all the luck and hope that he can find similar longtime success as Dries and Ann.

Fantastic news, even made better by the fact that he's not part of some big conglomerate.

I feel my my faith in fashion slowly being restored.

extremely happy to hear this news! i hope that he can make a profit and last longer than a few seasons.

I will ALWAYS be happy to see the return of a talent like him! Great news.

Welcome back!
Perfect timing.
You'll do well.

:woot: Amazing news! Welcome back Olivier, we've missed you!

"BOF Exclusive The Return Of Olivier Theyskens"
Anyone access to the article? Tia!

Am I dreaming? *tears of joy. I was just thinking about him earlier this week and asking myself where he is and wondering if he is coming back any time soon, and here he is. I am SO excited right now :wub:

How brave.

How exciting!

It goes without saying Theyskens is one of the industry's heavyweight talents, even if that hasn't always led to commercially successful appointments.

But I think he's learned so much, especially in those last years at Theory, what all is required to build a brand and do a business.

I feel certain that in a time when the rules and ecology of fashion have changed so much, his individualistic spirt and new found business acumen will make for a some compelling clothes and a much needed shift in perspective. Bravo!

^^^ Good to see you posting again, Mutterlein!

This 2nd life with his own label can only benefit creatively from his Theyskens’ Theory experience. And I’m also hoping that his new namesake label will also include a few men’s pieces alongside the women's that will also flourish into its own collections in time. His brand of baroque romanticism and invitation to dream is a much welcomed return these days.

Olivier Theyskens Is Back Under His Own Name

As of 4:00 p.m. today in Paris, Olivier Theyskens will be back. Don’t even begin to pretend you haven’t missed him. Like all designers, Theyskens has had his highs and lows in his near-two-decade career, but the Belgian prince of poetic romanticism and haute gothica could always be relied upon to serve up something singular and compelling that sprung from his particular fount of raw, pure talent. I went to his live/work space in the Marais a week ago to check in with him and ask him about his return to working under his own name, after periods at Rochas, Nina Ricci, and Theory.

Theyskens preferred to keep the clothes under wraps for this interview—he’d just taken delivery of pieces from his factories in Italy, and he was starting to strip away their plastic shrouds—but he was happy to discuss what drove him to return to a fashion world very different from the one he left in 2014. Still, one little hint: Before you ask, yes, you will see those trademark hook-and-eye fastenings of his.

Olivier, tell me where you’re currently at and what you’re in the midst of doing.
We’ve started receiving pieces from the factories [in Italy] that we’re working with, and we’re basically FaceTiming with everybody. My mind-set at this stage is very much what can I still do, or what can I still make to bring something more? Every minute you’re thinking you shouldn’t be wasting a second.

I know we can’t say too much about the collection, since this comes out before you show it, and you want it to be a surprise! But tell me a little bit about how you’re able to come back.
I really feel that I’m doing the right thing. When I moved to Paris, I was 24, I started at Rochas, and it was a big dream to work in a Parisian house. All the time, I was always willing to relaunch [my own label], and every project I did had the freedom for me to do my own stuff. I never did it because basically I got involved in whatever I was doing, and I just thought, How the hell can I do everything?

Then, two years ago, it felt like the right moment. I was talking with Maximiliano Nicolelli [now his CEO], and he helped me put together the project with a very small team of four or five people. Also, I kept a good relationship with some of the factories that I loved working with 15 years ago in Italy. I always visited them just to say hi and see how they were doing, and some of these people are working with me now, and it’s very important because they know me so well. In the end, it feels like we’re a big team when you put everyone together.

Is it liberating to operate in that way again given that you’ve most recently worked for established names like Rochas, Nina Ricci, Theory?
What was difficult was, if I take the case of Rochas, which was seen as being a big brand, that it had no structure and we had to build everything from scratch. So for a while there, I had the struggle of being entrepreneurial with an established name, when actually, what I love to do is be entrepreneurial with something that’s starting up! I love that what I am doing now is basically a small startup. Sometimes the scale of a company . . . like, Theory had this amazing quality to it, because Andrew [Rosen] brought such humanity that I felt like it was a family company—everything was connected. When brands get too big, you can lose the sense of connection.

How does it feel to be coming back?
It’s good for me. I get to think about my girl again. When I worked for someone else, I brought what I thought was needed, but with this, I want my designs to be the way I believe they should be. Since it’s the first collection, it’s a little bit stressful because I want to make a good impression. I want to be humble, and I just want to say also that it’s not trying to be a big brand. It’s a project that’s just starting, it’s something we want to build, and it’s something that’s really precious to us.

When you weren’t working, were you still sketching and designing for yourself?
I can take time off, but I always feel the clock is ticking. I’ve already archived two collections since I stopped. I joke that if I go to the hospital, the team can just go into a drawer and take everything they find there, because it’s all set to go. I had one collection ready a while back, and I loved it, but it wasn’t the right one to start with. Sometimes it’s good to have some distance. Time off can be scary, but it can also be positive. It just brings you naturally back to a point where there is something more balanced that comes out of you.

What makes the collection you’re going to show a better one to start with?
I had to think about myself a little bit and what is the thing that I have naturally arrived at. I thought a lot about my work in the past. It took me months to go through all of my personal archives, my friends were helping me scan all the sketches, all these old collections, my ancient clothes. Some of them really needed care, and I hadn’t had the time before. I just felt I could see again. I think this is a collection that really reflects my aesthetic. And at the same time, I don’t like to try to make trends. I am not trying to scream. I simply love the idea of doing a dress for a woman in which she would look nice, elegant—that it shows a strength of character. I don’t care if that’s modern or if it’s passé.

Is that more important than ever to you, given that the noise level of fashion has gotten so loud?
Sometimes I feel it gets loud, but if you just step out a little bit, it’s a lot of noise in a little bubble. In the end, for this presentation, I just drew clothes. At one point, I thought we should just put the clothes in a showroom and have the buyers come in. After a while, you start thinking more about fashion, and then, in the end, you think there is no way to present a collection other than to put it on professional models and have it seen by professionals.

Does it feel weird to you to see a generation come up obsessed with the ’90s, the era in which you started?
It’s funny, but I understand it. The thing is, though, when you now look at some ’90s shows, the ones that made you travel creatively in your mind, half of the girls were wearing clothes that were pretty bad and half that were stunning. It was an era when shows weren’t worked on by stylists. There were a lot of ups and downs within one collection. At some point, I became a little bit against styling a collection to make it look all at the same level.

I think maybe the first show I saw of yours was Spring 1999. . . .
That collection was the first time I had to deal with factories. I did two collections before that, and I still love them because they were done at home with my mother helping, but I couldn’t imagine ever making them. Julie Gilhart [then at Barneys New York] came in, holding up all the leather pieces, and saying, “You have to make what you just showed!” That collection: Some was nice, some was like, oh my gosh. It was one of the collections where I had to do most of the patterns by myself. I was at an age where I could spend all night working to get things done. When I look at that collection, it is so much of that.

I think we forget you were super young. How old were you—20, 21, something like that?
Yeah, yeah, it’s true. I had not guessed that I would have to do that so quickly. When I left school, I thought I would have to wait 10 years to do my own thing, but it just happened very quickly. I was very happy about it. In the end, one of the reasons I wanted to move to Paris was because I was exhausted after three years of working out of Belgium, and I needed to structure my company because we were two people in Brussels and three people in Italy that were doing all of the technical work. I was thinking, oh my god, working in Paris for a brand that has a structure would be amazing. So now I think and laugh; why did I forget what it was like to do things on your own? You basically have to think of everything!

How is it to be back in Paris after being in New York?
It’s nice, because actually this place where we are, I basically got this place just after I finished with Nina Ricci. Very soon after, I left for New York, so I never had the chance to work or really live here. I feel like this place was waiting for me to do my own thing.

Tell me a little bit about what you feel you got out of New York.
Well, I felt I would be more often in New York, but this year I have only been once. It’s a bit sad for me because I love my friends there! What I liked about New York, and why I could have easily continued working there for years, was I had very good working relationships with everybody. I’m very conscious of the fact that I want to have that here.

New York showed me how a team can work together, much more so than in Paris. In Paris, I was working in such a way that I had everything on my shoulders, and that became not so nice. It was one of the motivations for me starting again: I liked the positive experience I had of being in a team.

Is it good to be working at a more rarified, elevated level again?
It is. What I really felt was my thing was working with Italian factories—I love them, I love their approach, they really excite me. I have to say that after a while, one reason I came back to Paris was to be closer to Italy. In the beginning, I was thinking whatever I do I have to be working in New York, and after a short time, I’d imagine the schedule, and it would be so tough to travel so much. I just felt no way—it has to be Paris.

It feels like the fashion world has changed so much since you stopped. We’ve seen such a turnover of designers at houses. As someone who has worked at two French houses, how does it feel to be looking at that world and that pace of change from where you are now?
For me, it feels less magical than what it was. The thing about the end of the ’90s was that you would see a designer starting something that they likely hoped to do for a long time. For example, around that time, I had some people offering me various positions, and I couldn’t imagine myself doing them for 20 years. Then, when I got the offer from Rochas, I could see myself doing it, and I thought that it would be forever. It was natural to think that way then, because then you didn’t have people staying for just three years.

Three years sounds like a long time, but I guess it’s not.
It’s hard to really do much in that time. Also, it’s not great to think you have someone starting somewhere, and the first question is: How many years are you going to be here? How many years are you signing for?

It’s a bit like putting a time limit on a relationship!
Yeah, it’s not that sexy! I don’t know if people are getting blasé about their time. Maybe it’s all going to change again.

If you were offered a house again, would you do it?
Sincerely, when I left Theory, I thought this is not going to happen again, to be in a place with hundreds of employees. I’m going to be focused on something much more personal. I think it’s important now to bring something new. It’s so annoying these days to be stuck on just a few names; years ago you’d look around, and it would feel that 20 designers were part of the conversation, not just a few.

The other big thing in fashion in the last few years has been the rise of social media. Is it something you look at?
It’s terrible because I like not to think about it! I was on Instagram kind of early, and after a while I just started deleting my accounts; I got bored of putting up selfies! Fashion is a bit more about depth, or it should be. It takes time to look at it. In the end, I have to admit, I understand why it’s happening, and I’m a little bit on it, but I’m not that obsessed. When I started looking at fashion, it was about buying the right papers and magazines.

What were you looking at?
French Vogue, Italian Vogue. If I opened a ’90s magazine now, I would remember everything about it—the advertising, the pictures, whatever—it got into my brain. It’s bizarre, because there were fewer elements to look at, but they had more impact. We didn’t have access to everything. When I was 17, 18, my friends and I would sometimes have a party where instead of watching a movie, we would watch a VHS tape of a fashion show!

Which ones did you watch?
There was an Alexander McQueen for Givenchy and a John Galliano for Dior. We were so excited we could see them.

When you look at the fashion landscape right now, what do you feel is missing?
I want to bring this sense of luxury and personality, and to feel that I can bring something really sincere and true with a lot of love, to take risks. But I don’t know if there’s anything missing, as such. There are a lot of good things out there, but the industry has become so much bigger. I think that’s why a lot of people feel it has gotten messy: There is so much stuff.

There were a few big names who have just shown collections that are available immediately, which is also something else that’s transpired in the last year or so. What’s your view on that?
To do that, you have to be really firm about what clothes are really working. Sometimes you present a collection and then you need to see the buyers’ reactions and press reactions; it’s important to get them. Personally, to be frank, I don’t want right now to be the reality of my life. I’d rather see something around for a little while and think about it. For me, it takes months to really desire something.
vogue

Renaissance man: Olivier Theyskens on the relaunch of his label
Madonna, raven-haired in a dramatic medieval ballgown, daffodil yellow and cinched in like armour, arriving at the 1998 VH1 Fashion Awards in Maleficent style. It’s where minds travel at the mention of Olivier Theyskens, the Belgian designer who became a household name when the superstar started wearing his dresses during her Ray of Light era. It was only a year after he had dropped out of Brussels’ prestigious La Cambre fashion school to found his label. He was 21, ivory-skinned and doe-eyed with long, black locks like some darkly androgynous elf, and the fashion world – still unchallenged by the internet – was at his feet.

"I was working in an apartment in Brussels with different floors, and a friend who was working with me saw Madonna on TV, wearing one of my dresses," Theyskens recalls. "I was doing something important downstairs, so I just said, “Can you record it?”’ In the uncomplicated VHS age of the Nineties, the impact of celebrity endorsement on fashion hadn’t quite reached the squealing fangirl heights of today.

Being worn by the biggest superstar on the planet, nonetheless, did help to shift a few dresses – even in the Nineties. "When it was happening, it was the beginning of the year when I showed my first presentation in Paris, which was just custom-made things. And I got a lot of work just from that," Theyskens says. At 40, nearly 20 years on, he now sports decidedly un-androgynous stubble but is as doe-eyed as ever, his locks grown back into tresses after a bob phase defined by his four years as creative director for Theory in New York, between 2010 and 2014.

He’s back in Paris, nearly one season into the relaunch of the eponymous brand he put on hold in 2002. His out-of-the-blue comeback show at Paris Fashion Week in September was a welcome return, not just because Theyskens has been a fixture on the fashion scene for some two decades, but because his creative language is so exclusive to him it’s entirely irreplaceable. His spring/summer 2017 collection was like seeing an old friend, the whimsically romantic and slightly eerie type: leather dresses like breastplates, rigidly sculptural tailoring dreamt up somewhere between Renaissance and Baroque, and those black, billowing gothic gowns.

Good fairies and evil stepmothers united, the way they always did through Theyskens’ fairytale monocle. "I think the spirit of the company is very linked to what I experienced when I was doing the brand at the end of the Nineties," he points out over a canned tea drink and a bowl of something Japanese and healthy in the bright white Le Marais studio where he also lives. "Back then I was in Brussels, but also working in Italy for all the developments. We were a strong team; small, but with everyone super-involved, so I see it as a sort of continuation."

In the decades that passed, Theyskens rode the wave of a fashion industry in hasty evolution. From 2002 to 2006 he was creative director of Rochas, where he perfected his shadowy sense of cascading floor-length flou (fluid dressing). Between 2006 and 2009, he served as creative director for Nina Ricci, transforming his gothic disposition into romantic and delicate belle-of-the-ball dressing. Eventually, he tested his dark grandeur on a mid-market very different from the Parisian luxury houses that brought him up, as head of Theory in America.

"When I was in New York, it was always clear I wasn’t going to be there forever. I was having an experience and I loved the company so much I thought, “I could stay here”. But deep inside, I had to be honest. This wasn’t going to be my career – it’s not the goal of my life." Theyskens felt he had to return to Europe and the Italian manufacturers he loves. ‘This is a very personal decision, not a global market decision,’ he notes, hinting at the reality of the fashion industry today, a corporate realm radically different to the pre-internet Nineties climate that spawned his label.

"What I remember is that, back then, you would consider things long term. When I started doing Rochas, I thought, “I’ll be here for 20 or 30 years”. After several years there I was like, “This is going to continue forever”.’ His tenure ended abruptly when the house’s parent company Procter & Gamble – amid steady praise for Theyskens’ work – decided to close the Rochas fashion division, citing poor sales. (It now lives again, fronted by Alessandro dell’Acqua.)

"In the past 15 years we’ve grown accustomed to designers being involved with a project for just a few years, with barely time to develop a store concept or create a movement of customers," Theyskens reflects, bringing to mind recent short-lived pairings such as Hedi Slimane at Saint Laurent, Raf Simons at Dior, and Peter Dundas at Roberto Cavalli. "I don’t know if it’s what the new core of fashion is about: moving quickly from one thing to another? At some of the brands that become customer favourites, I guess customers don’t want to see designers come and go? If someone likes a brand they want to see a nice story evolving within it."

Theyskens roughly belongs to the same generation as Slimane, Simons and Dundas. They each established signature creative languages before the internet age of fashion, and were carried through its digital and corporate evolution on a string of increasingly fleeting big fashion-house jobs, which would come to define the industry cycle today. In relaunching his own label, which he also self-funds, Theyskens is effectively breaking away from that system.

"It’s not my vocation to be self-funding, but at least at the start it’s cool, because it brings things down to a scale that is very human," he explains. "The people you’re partnering with all know you’re a small structure, that you’re brave and have the guts to take the risk and do it. It creates a good vibe between the project and the people you interact with." In today’s conglomerate-driven fashion industry, there’s no greater privilege than being your own boss.

With a studio of fewer than 10 people, Theyskens’ new independence has allowed him to rebuild a business, which would seem virtually conservative in the eyes of a brave new fashion world. Burberry and Tom Ford have transitioned into see-now-buy-now shows retailing product as it’s presented; brands such as Gucci and Bottega Veneta are stirring up the fashion calendar by merging their women’s and men’s shows; and everyone has given into pre-collections and collaborations, maximising their commercial output.

Not Olivier Theyskens. "Right now we’re doing two collections a year. The product is tightly edited. We’re being very focused with distribution so as to not be spread out too easily everywhere. I have a very refined, really luxurious approach to the clothes, and at the same time I want to create all the foundations for my brand to be a house in the future. I’m not telling a story of big money, I’m telling a story of evolving as a small entity – profitable, if possible – step by step," he clarifies. "Taking the time."

Above all, his focus is on the artisanal value of a garment. "I think a lot about the people who are producing the fabrics – the people in the little ateliers, who love doing a very high-end, elaborate product," he notes. "The fashion world has various typologies of companies cohabiting with different strategies, profiles and partners, so I just hope that the girls who like my things are ready to wait three months between the show and the store," he laughs.

"You have extremes in this market: women willing to wait years for a Birkin bag, and others who want silk pyjamas instantly. There are people who wait to see a movie in a theatre – and those who don’t mind watching a bad stream on their computer – and I understand that. I just think that in any case the authenticity of what I’m doing is the justification for why you have to be prepared to wait a little bit, and get that coat at the right time of the year," he says. "The difference with see-now-buy-now is that you’re seeing the season that is happening. But is this the reality you want to be experiencing immediately? I’m not so sure it always hits the spot, because you need to build your desire." It’s a philosophy intrinsically connected to this designer’s creative understanding.

Born in Brussels in 1977 to a chemical engineer father and housewife mother, the young Theyskens had the kind of passion for beauty you mainly read about in the biographies of grand old couturiers. "I’ve always been enchanted with things I find beautiful. I’ve always loved looking at nature and girls. I’ve always loved beautiful stories and life itself. I want to know as much as possible, from astrophysics to anything," he says.

"When I work I almost never have inspiration around me. It just comes from inside somehow, and from interacting with everyone in the team." Theyskens always elevated the ordinary in his work, from majestic collections inspired by violin boxes and chimney sweeps, to the gothic, almost sci-fi sense of drama that’s become his trademark.

"Sometimes you end up fighting against an etiquette, because you can be labelled. There was a very young person who was discovering my work, and for that person it was bizarre to see I had been doing things that were a bit edgy, dark, spiky, gothic in the past, because that person thought I was more of a romantic designer," Theyskens recalls. "So it’s very strange because it depends on what people experience, and their a priori."

What of Madonna, then, whose impact on his career was so strong she still finds her way into features about him two decades on? "I think to be part of her clothing story is amazingly rewarding, not in a practical way but in a personal way." Would he dress her today?

"Every time someone is attracted to what I do, I really pay attention. It’s very important, especially with artists, because they have many instinctive reasons." If Madonna is as symptomatic of the digital time she now lives in – Instagramming up a storm in a Moschino dress – as she was in the neo-spiritual late Nineties – henna hands and Kabbalah bracelets on display – Olivier Theyskens then and now has changed little. "I have a way of designing that’s very natural. It’s important people have the feeling that this is typically Olivier. You feel it overall – it’s Olivier’s way. And for this I just have to let myself go and not over-question myself."

In a social media-fuelled fashion climate where people have the attention span of a fly, it’s not an uncourageous attitude. Current hype favourites such as Balenciaga and Vetements are faced with constant reinvention in order not to lose their street cred, and mega-brands like Louis Vuitton must capitalise on clever collaborations, like it did with the cult streetwear label Supreme for its AW17 men’s collection.

Across the fashion landscape, designers are having to find the balance between creativity and commerciality like never before, sometimes waiving their freedom in the process. "Hmm," Theyskens shrugs, weighing that thought. "I don’t think I feel free in any case, even with myself. I’m constantly reviewing the results of our work. I have usually been hired to bring creativity and a new vision, not to be secluded and constrained. You need freedom for the artistic vision. So I don’t feel too much of a difference. I don’t know people who say we’re not free creatively. I don’t hear that."

The relaunch of Olivier Theyskens doesn’t just represent new beginnings, it would seem, but old ones, too. There’s a certain comfort to be found in this designer’s unfazed approach to a frenzied fashion industry very different from the one he started out in. This isn’t fast-forward fashion, but a return to tried and tested values, which don’t need new formats or social media schemes to work. (He is on Instagram, by the way, but alongside his official brand account he uses a private one for family and friends – and all he’ll divulge about his personal life is that he’s "very happy".)

"I won’t say conservative," Theyskens offers, pondering his new place in fashion, "but I’m in a more practical situation where I produce a very small collection and give all the attention to the details. I believe in all the things I create. It’s the classic way, which is how things have ended up being done for many years."

Before the conversation he notices my old notebook. "I like the colour of the paper you’re writing on. Apricot," he observes, pointing to its patinated pages. "It’s cool the way it’s aged."

telegraph.co.uk

I loved reading this interview! You can feel that he is doing it because he genuinely loves what he does. We need more people like him, that dont care about the fame of it all. Making well-made, beautiful clothing should be most important as well as staying true to yourself. I feel like there are so many designers that rely on styling/referencing everyone else's work, and who are interested in being these fashion personalities. It almost makes you forget that designers like Olivier still exist. I really hope he succeeds. There is still a romance in his mind about fashion, and it puts a smile on my face. A true artist.

Great read! Always love hearing from Olivier.

Love what he's doing with his own line and so glad he's doing it.

I loved reading this interview! You can feel that he is doing it because he genuinely loves what he does. We need more people like him, that dont care about the fame of it all. Making well-made, beautiful clothing should be most important as well as staying true to yourself. I feel like there are so many designers that rely on styling/referencing everyone else's work, and who are interested in being these fashion personalities. It almost makes you forget that designers like Olivier still exist. I really hope he succeeds. There is still a romance in his mind about fashion, and it puts a smile on my face. A true artist.

The contrast truly is stark between this and the 'hype' designers. His style may not be mine, but I really appreciate what he's doing, and his attitude. I wish for many more of him, and many fewer designers focused on fonts, hoodies, etc. ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ponyproductions
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->