Paloma Faith

Paloma with the Olympic torch, on her 26th birthday (dailymail.co.uk:(

At the launch of Hideaways House, at Morton's Club in London (dailymail.co.uk:(

On the August 2012 cover of Vintage Life (newsstand.co.uk:(

Thank you so much for having updated this thread, tigerrouge! :flower:
This thread is unfairly slow :unsure:

Paloma's latest video "Just Be" was released week ago.

Some "Just Be" screencaps after a little retouch:

eed15a46ea99.jpg

b91c40cca1c5.jpg

5c6964b3cb2d.jpg

video source: youtube

I loved her at Graham Norton with Russell Brand & Emily Blunt, great personality :smile:

At the VH1 Divas awards show in Los Angeles; for The Telegraph (dailymail.co.uk:(

At the BRIT Awards nominations announcement at The Savoy Hotel (dailymail.co.uk:(

An interview for the Mail on Sunday (dailymail.co.uk:(

'Amy Winehouse asked me to be in her band but I turned her down': The world according to Paloma Faith

The singer and actress on why she's been escaping reality since she was born, nightclubbing at 13 and getting sawn in half every night

I’ve been escaping reality ever since I was born. I grew up in Hackney and it could be a rough place. There were a lot of drugs about, but my mother made my childhood wonderful by using her imagination to shield me. She’d set up a pretend restaurant out on our street, or we’d play a game called ‘Immigration’. My stepdad was Chinese and we’d always get stopped going through customs, so we invented our own version. My mum made fake passports and my stepdad would be the immigration officer. He’d look at my passport, then shoot me with a water pistol because I was a threat to national security.

I knew Adele would be a star back when she was 14. I’ve known her for years; I used to promote club nights and I booked her for one before she was signed. She just came down with her guitar and it was obvious how talented she was. I was blown away by her. I’m really happy for her but we haven’t seen each other since the Brit Awards. No one could have predicted she’d become the most successful female artist on Earth.

Amy Winehouse asked me to be in her band. She saw me at a party and asked if I played any instruments, and was disappointed when I said I didn’t. She said, ‘That’s a shame, because I’d love to have someone like you in my band.’ She got lost really; that’s the only way you can describe it. You need to have respect for yourself. The problem with Amy was she thought she wrote her best work when she was in the thick of it. I don’t want to go to the edge to write.

Prince knows the words to all my songs. He asked me to perform at his festival, and he came to watch from the side of the stage. In fact, he got upset that I didn’t play Stargazer. I told him I didn’t because I hated it, which took him aback a bit I think. We spoke a few times over that weekend. It was difficult to be natural, but he was lovely, relaxed and generous.

Working at Agent Provocateur proved to me that men are clueless. They’d bring in a photo of their girlfriend and ask you to guess her bra size. Occasionally you’d work out they were choosing for themselves. For me lingerie is about women loving their own bodies. I still wear stockings and I like wearing big knickers, even though men don’t find them a turn-on.

I used to get sawn in half every night. I did cabaret for years, and obviously I don’t want to reveal how it works, but let’s just say the saws aren’t very sharp, so I wasn’t too scared. I did tricks with rabbits and doves, levitation and disappearance. The magician I worked with looked like Ian Beale and was a lovely guy.

I’m obsessed with Marilyn Monroe. I’m actually her size – I know that because I tried on one of her old dresses. A friend of mine is a collector and she got hold of one. She might have been a bit more buxom, on reflection.

I went to nightclubs at 13. It was too young – you see things at that age that you shouldn’t. I got scared regularly and I had near misses and saw a lot of negative things. I did a gig not long ago in Dalston and got a cheer for declaring, ‘It’s good to be home!’, then I said, ‘Yeah, I was sexually assaulted in a phone box around the corner!’ I was being facetious, but it happened. I lost my phone in a cab, and as I tried to ring my mum the door was yanked open and this guy jumped in and tried to have his wicked way with me. I fought him off and ran home.

To support my singing career I did burlesque. I was never a stripper, though, and I didn’t bare any flesh. I just sang. It was quite glamorous, but in a David Lynch kind of way – rough around the edges and a bit seedy, although the audience was often made up of women.

I used to perform in a white dress and squirt fake blood on myself. You had to have a twist to your act. I used fake prosthetics too. I was told to drop it when I did showcases for the music industry because it was too shocking. Then Lady Gaga broke through and I thought to myself, ‘See? I was right.’

I bought my first ever TV a few weeks ago. I’ve watched one thing so far. It feels like wasted time if I sit there. My new house is my biggest achievement. I’m used to living in rented rooms, so it feels really big. It’s full of old or reproduction stuff. I don’t really like new things. The house has made me feel secure and independent for the first time. My wardrobe is vast. It has a room to itself.

Talent-school kids don’t work hard enough – they think it’s going to be easy. I had to work my way up. They have a false idea of what the industry is like and then they get dropped. They’re naive. They don’t have any idea of the amount of work they have to do. It’s hard to have relationships or maintain friends if you’re lucky enough to take off, because you’re constantly working.

I’m lazy but I force myself to go running. Or more honestly, I pay someone to force me out of bed and make me. I love cooking and eating. I’m quite diverse; I do a lot of Spanish and Italian dishes. I love Jamie Oliver – not his 30-minute meals; his proper ones. I’ve made him rich, but he deserves it.

Paloma Faith’s album ‘Fall To Grace’ is out now

Performing at Give it Up for Comic Relief; at South by Southwest festival in Texas (dailymail.co.uk:(

At the DVF awards; at Dolce & Gabbana's Flagship Boutique opening on New York's Fifth Avenue (same source:(

At Milan Fashion Week on Thursday for the anticipated Max Mara show (dailymail.co.uk:(

At the Cosmopolitan Ultimate Women of the Year Awards at the V&A Museum (dailymail.co.uk:(

I recently discovered her music and I'm already obsessed with her.

Paloma Faith for L’Officiel Thailand - 2016.

nothingisbeautifulx tumblr

Paloma Faith attends The Elle Style Awards 2016 on February 23, 2016 in London, England.
774NG4E.jpg

zimbio

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->