Photographers ... About Submitting Editorials/Photos To/Working For Magazines

This is a great post guys thanks so much. I have a few questions about obtaining the pieces for the shoot.

Do most beginners (like me :smile: ) buy the clothing for the shoot themselves and eat it as part of cost of doing business? Or do magazines usually offer you the pull letter readily?

I have the go from a local magazine editor to go forward with my editorial concept but I have never done "editorial" type shoots for anything other than my own portfolio.

Should I go ahead and ask him for the pull letter? And after that do i just present this to the clothing companies ? The clothing i will be using are this season's and already in the malls.

Thanks so much for any help!!

Welcome to tFS, IppikiOkami!

For more information about how to set up a editorial shoot, you can go to this thread:

The Process of doing Editorials or Photo Shoots for Magazines

I"ll answer your question there ... it's more appropriate there, I would say ... this is more about submissions than the process of doing an editorial shoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be moved (or removed) but is there currently a known list of magazines that accept submission work, either from photographers (or stylists). I would really love this info.

This thread...

very nice to see on here. I am new here and am pleased with the site.

I'm not sure if this is the right section but my question is:
How much can a photographer be expected to be paid either for submissions or if he/she is commissioned by a publication to do eds?

this is a great thread. i'm an aspiring photographer that's currently still in high school so while i don't any amazing advice to offer, i can say this.. on flickr, there are a few magazines with group pools where you can submit your work. lula, i-D, urban outfitters, dazed and confused, dujour, and others have "contributor searches."
indexhibit is also a great site builder for creating an online portfolio.

I'm not sure if this is the right section but my question is:
How much can a photographer be expected to be paid either for submissions or if he/she is commissioned by a publication to do eds?

If it's a local publication (not Vogue, for example) ... the answer is nothing to not much (like maybe $150 to $250). Just like models .... photographers do it for exposure and to put it in thier portfolios and on their resumes. It looks good to prospective paying clients ... might help the tog get the catalog job or negotiate higher pay because he's "published".

Only the very top photographers can command a high fee for shooting edotorial. I heard from a photographer friend who knows someone at Vouge and got a tour of their offices, that they pay some of the top guys $50,000 and way up for an editorial. And sometimes, Ms. Wintour doesn't even use it ... still pays, though. So, that's the other end ... if and when you get famous.

If it's a local publication (not Vogue, for example) ... the answer is nothing to not much (like maybe $150 to $250). Just like models .... photographers do it for exposure and to put it in thier portfolios and on their resumes. It looks good to prospective paying clients ... might help the tog get the catalog job or negotiate higher pay because he's "published".

Only the very top photographers can command a high fee for shooting edotorial. I heard from a photographer friend who knows someone at Vouge and got a tour of their offices, that they pay some of the top guys $50,000 and way up for an editorial. And sometimes, Ms. Wintour doesn't even use it ... still pays, though. So, that's the other end ... if and when you get famous.

Ok thanks Bette.

We're trying to get a pull letter for a fashion mag we want to submit to, and they're telling us to send them a mood board of our concept ahead of time. We usually do inspiration boards for our shoots, but how do we put together a mood board for a magazine editor? I mean, should we stick to more abstract photos that inspire us? Because usually we have other peoples work on our inspiration boards (hair, make up from other editorials/clothing from stores and other mags) -- is this a big no no?

No, they're expecting to see how you're visualizing the shoot, and if you have references on the board to other people's work that's expected. Just write a statement about what is on the board and send it with the image, explaining what is on it and how the pieces all fit together and what is not there.

Any LA based publications in need of models?

Hi,

Does anyone know of any LA based publications in need of model in exchange for tearsheet? I’ve the models and am organizing a team of stylists. I just need a list of LA based publications who I can contact to see if they are willing to shoot these girls for their magazines.

Thanks,

Joe

Are you a photographer?

The reason I ask is that small local mags rarely have a staff photographer ... they tend to comission a freelancer. The photographer's that I work with usually make the contact with the magazines directly , show them their portfolios and arrange to either submit stories for consideration or, better yet, submit story ideas and get commisioned to do a specific story for them.

Then the photographer chooses the models and has his own stylist on his team .... so that's why I asked since the mag doesn't usually get involved with all of that. Oh, and the photog and the mag usually want agency repped models to insure that they are pros and have the look needed. Models are fairly easy to get ... again the photog needs to approach the agency, show his porfolio, and advise them that he's been commssioned by such and such magazine and the agency usually has new models still in developement that can also use the tears that he may choose from ... so again, it's a win, win. Nobody gets paid ... but everybody gets tears and/or credits in the magazine.

If you are a photographer, but you don't already have a lot of tears yet, start with the small local mags . .... you know, the little advertising mags about each community or city, like Malibu, Downtown, Hollywood or Long Beach. Propose stories where you can pull wardrobe from thier advertisers .... it's a win-win for everyone ... and the magazines love it because it pleases their advertisers.

To find these publishers, just pick up these mags (they are free, and they are usually found in restaurants, small businesses and sometimes in racks outside of stores) and check inside .... the publisher's info will be there, somewhere, usually near the front.

Thanks Bette. I’m a photographer and stylist. However, this project isn’t for my book. I recently joined a model agency and want to help the girls developed more tears for their book. We have a team of photographer, MUA, stylist, etc. on hand. You just reminded me… I have seen some restaurants in sunset have local fashion mags. I’ll need to revisit them. This is new to me as I’ve never contacted the magazines directly.

Even if they are not fashion mags ... a lot of them do lifestyle stuff ... or like fashion editorials as a bonus in their local mags, anyway. So ... approach them all ... you never know.

They will still want to talk to whoever is shooting ... and see their work up front. So if that is you ... be sure to offer to come in to show your book and to meet with them to determine what sort of editorials they might want.

If you ar not shooting the editorials yourself, you will need to connect with the photographers directly. You can call the mags and can ask them who shoots for them and ask if you can get contact info. Then reach out to their photogs and ask if you may send them info on the models who need tears to see if they can use any of your girls for their editorials. (Hint: If the mags don't offer photog contact info or names, just look for photo credits right in the magazines ... you should be able to find all of those photogs because they probably all have web sites.)

I just merged your question into this thread ... which is all about how you can get editorials into magazines .... for photogs, not models ... but the photog pics the models anyway, so it's basically the same topic. There's a link in one of the first posts ... to a site that lists mastheads of magazines ... very helpful information (if the link still works).

See also this related thread, about how to produce an editorial: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f90/process-doing-editorials-photo-shoots-magazines-77142.html

Thanks again Bette. Most likely the agency director will be the photog. We definitely have the tools and expertise to produce editorial work. I just don’t know if those mags will use outside photogs. I guess I’ll find out. We also have books ready to show.

Good fashion magazines that accept submissions for print issues

Hi there,

Does anyone know of any good mags that accept submissions for print?? I know there's '****ing Young!' for menswear. Any recommendations??

Welcome to the Fashion Spot!

No one has answered, so I thought I'd at least respond, even thought I can't really help you ... I only know about magazines that are local to me.

I'm assuming you are talking about real, printed magazines (not e-zines) ... so how you do that is already in this thread. Who to submit to ... that requires research on your part ... check their websites because they usually will state if they take submissions. If it's a local magazine without a web site, call them and ask and if they do take them, ask for their submission guidelines.

This may be of use to some people here. I know from having spoken to one of the editorial staff that NO TOFU magazine (www.notofu.com) accept fashion submissions for print and they are pretty good about considering all submissions (though they have to be high quality) - I saw the magazine distributed in a number of stores around LA and it's a gorgeous glossy publication so this may be of use to some.

They even mention it on their website: notofu.com/contact, and the submission email is [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ross640
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->