Prada Confirms Lang Will Not Show

My first designer purchase was a much desired Helmut Lang at about the time he burst onto the scene with his military-with-sequins collection when genuinely boring minimalist Prada reigned. Just because he doesn't do frills and frou like Anna Sui, he really isn't minimalist - his clothes are rich with drapes, layers, embellishments, details and a surprising choice of materials. Apart from some tops, I have his jeans, bright silk satin purses, and a tiny evening bag made of fuschia feathers from many years ago which are going to look fantastic this fall. To this day, I regret not buying a fuschia modern-baroque gauze pouf skirt that was on sale, again the epitome of grace. His S/S ropes of beads are copied by everyone. These designs redefine longevity. It takes a few seasons before the others catch up with Lang, doesn't it?

No customer base? Lang isn't "challenging" like Preen or CDG, his clothes are really easy to wear, to mix and match. Shame on Prada! :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
CharlottefromCA said:
shhh... don't say that too loud or Prada might just buy House of Dereon...

but when that happens we'll have bigger news to report.. Flying Pigs :o
:lol: :lol: :lol:

zazie-good post...
sounds like you have some really nice pieces...
i have the tux pants with the gauze on the front from the same collection as the fuschia pieces you are referring to...along with other stuff...
yeah...that pink pouf skirt was ahead of it's time...like most of lang's work...

**i am still annoyed because someone swiped my HL 3/4 coat from my office... :angry:

softie,

Heh...some mutual congratulations is in order. :D Wasn't that one of the most beautiful collections ever? Brilliant jewel colours, soft silk satin, very feminine, impeccable cut and shape. And everyone's doing poufs now, 4 seasons later. It actually looks like the forerunner of Alber's S/S 05 for Lanvin. Your tux pants will look great this Fall, especially if they are dark. I didn't buy the gauze skirt because it was a bit stiff and irritating to the skin, even though it plays up the layers beautifully. HL is a true classic, like Calvin Klein used to be, and what great returns we got for our little splurge. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ those comments are exactly why I like Lang, and why I'll miss him, his work has been a progression of sorts, unlike other designers who switch vocabularies seasonally/yearly. The building blocks were always the same. I have a few ~1998 pieces, and some more recent ones. They work together perfectly.

Zazie said:
My first designer purchase was a much desired Helmut Lang at about the time he burst onto the scene with his military-with-sequins collection when genuinely boring minimalist Prada reigned. Just because he doesn't do frills and frou like Anna Sui, he really isn't minimalist - his clothes are rich with drapes, layers, embellishments, details and a surprising choice of materials. Apart from some tops, I have his jeans, bright silk satin purses, and a tiny evening bag made of fuschia feathers from many years ago which are going to look fantastic this fall. To this day, I regret not buying a fuschia modern-baroque gauze pouf skirt that was on sale, again the epitome of grace. His S/S ropes of beads are copied by everyone. These designs redefine longevity. It takes a few seasons before the others catch up with Lang, doesn't it?

No customer base? Lang isn't "challenging" like Preen or CDG, his clothes are really easy to wear, to mix and match. Shame on Prada! :angry:

well said, i agree with everything.
i always loved his shoes so much, today i'm still wearing the ones i bought some years ago, they never go out of style, and the quality is superb as well......and i always have to wonder: what would he have come up with next?? it's too sad i will never know......

liberty33r1b said:
well said, i agree with everything.
i always loved his shoes so much, today i'm still wearing the ones i bought some years ago, they never go out of style, and the quality is superb as well......and i always have to wonder: what would he have come up with next?? it's too sad i will never know......

You see that's the thing, you WILL know. This is just the end of the company, not him! He's started a new line called Art (previously mentioned in this thread and message board). You act like he is dead or something!

^^^ Ok, people keep mentioning ART, but google doesn't turn anything up... got some links? I can't find anything about it using the forum search either.

/desperate :wink:

andrew said:
^^^ Ok, people keep mentioning ART, but google doesn't turn anything up... got some links? I can't find anything about it using the forum search either.

/desperate :wink:

there is almost no information available now but it's his new line and is going to be launched in a year or so.

Thanks liberty, andrew.:flower: HL really had a lot of female fans, it seems.

I read the write-up on HL and it mentioned that he might not do anything ever again. So, liberty, soft, andrew, better make your favourites last. Ditto with the Jil Sanders, now she's a true, very talented and creative Minimalist who cuts beautifully. I haven't seen or heard anything about ART yet, and would love any updates. I wonder though if it is as easy to get re-established after this conspicuous failure, and with all the stores closing. I still don't see why Prada refuses to give/sell them back their labels. This is really driving these talented designers to the end of their ropes. Can't they arrange for a sort of payback scheme??? Fendi is different, as there isn't a "Fendi" designing the godawful line anyway. What is sad about the article is that it seems no one is buying up his last S/S line either, and no one is asking about it. :(

juice major said:
He may never return to fashion!!

:heart:

no, that's the thing...he is!!! He already has staffed his assistants and creative directors. He'll be showing clothes before we know it.

Mutterlein, do you know who´s working with him now? Because his long-time right hand, Melanie Ward, is now with Karl Lagerfeld... I discussed this howle matter with several people in the biz and most of them agreed to the fact that it is unlikely that Helmut will ever come back to the limelight... I think one of his art friends also confirmed this once, didn´t we have this article somewhere?

juice major said:
He may never return to fashion!!

:heart:

Dat's a WASTE! I miss him man! Lang is no more in Singapore.
Can't wait to go HK and grab nice pieces 1st before LANG is GONE totally... ... :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverchiu
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->