Prada Expands Manufacturing in China

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Prada Is Making Fashion in China

By CHRISTINA PASSARIELLO

Prada SpA is busy in China these days. It's not just listing its shares on the Hong Kong stock exchange Friday and opening stores across the mainland. It is also increasingly manufacturing its high-end fashion there.
About 20% of Prada's collections—which range from bags and shoes to clothes for men and women—are made in China. The Milan-based company manufactures outside Italy in other cheaper countries such as Vietnam, Turkey and Romania, according to the IPO prospectus. In addition to the main Prada label, the company also owns Miu Miu, Church's and Car Shoe.
"Sooner or later, it will happen to everyone because [Chinese manufacturing] is so good," Prada designer Miuccia Prada said in an interview. She added that the Chinese are particularly good with shoes.

European luxury fashion labels such as Prada, Gucci and Louis Vuitton have built their reputations on goods crafted at home in France and Italy. Manufacturing skills there in part justify the high prices.
The temptation to move some production abroad is growing, however. The financial crisis put pressure on the industry's operating margins. British label Burberry PLC, for instance, came under fire for closing a factory at home and moving production to Asia.
And production capacity in Europe is limited. Hermès is constantly recruiting new workers in France who undergo a two-year training program. Vuitton is opening its 12th production site in France this month, but it had to close some stores early in the day last year because it was running low on stock.
But there's more than just the bottom line at stake. In Prada's home country, "Made in Italy" has become a political issue. Santo Versace, an owner of the Versace fashion house and an Italian senator, last year lobbied for a "Made in Italy" law that called for an elaborate labeling system to make a clothing item's origin more transparent. The law is awaiting approval from the European Commission.
To be labeled "Made in Italy," only a majority of the cost of an item's production must take place within the country's borders. Manufacturing in China could also backfire with the customers that brands like Prada are trying to appeal to in Asia. "Chinese consumers are ready to pay higher prices for luxury brands, but they want products not to be manufactured in China," says luxury-goods consultant Armando Branchini.
Prada's "Made in China" items aren't priced any differently than products made in Italy. A pair of woven wedge shoes were recently available for $455, the same price as Italian-made sandals.
Last year, Prada provoked debate about manufacturing abroad by announcing it would make small collections in India, Peru, Japan and Scotland. Woven ballet flats from India, Scottish tartans and alpaca sweaters sought to challenge the idea that the best products came from Italy.
Yet it was an anecdotal experiment compared with the rest of Prada's manufacturing outside Italy. Prada owns 10 factories in Italy and one in the UK, primarily for Church's shoes. Yet 80% of its goods are made by a network of 480 external manufacturers, according to documents issued for Prada's stock market debut. About 20% of the external manufacturers are located abroad.
Prada sneakers are made in Vietnam, which has developed specialized know-how in athletic shoes. Many Miu Miu bags bear a "Made in Turkey" label. Clothing such as shirts and dresses often comes from nearby countries like Romania.
Prada, which raised 16.7 billion Hong Kong dollars (US$2.15 billion) from its initial public offering last Friday, fell 2.9% in "gray-market" trading Thursday amid general market weakness.
Hong Kong-based trading firm PhillipMart's gray-market session, open to both retail and institutional investors, runs from 4:30 to 6 p.m. local time the day before a company's shares start trading on the stock exchange. Prada closed at HK$38.35 (US$4.92), below its IPO price of HK$39.50, according to PhillipMart, which said HK$9.7 million in shares changed hands. (wsj.com)

I honestly don't like this whole "manufacturing everywhere in the world", especially China, mainly because Made in China everywhere in the world is a synonim for poorly made clothes that sell for cheap. Chinese shops anyone? (not trying to be rasistic or anything, just being realistic)
And when I read Made in China on someone's Prada bag, exactly how do I know it's a real bag? Usually Made in China labels are sewn on fakes selling on the streets. Just sayin'

I think we already have a thread for this but it has to be said that "made in china" is not necessarily synonymous for poor quality but what makes me so sad about all the "made in china"-luxury stuff is that luxury labels usually stand for something which makes their whole appearance a little romantic (eg. Hermes). Seeing that some of their items are made in cheap-labor countries makes it so sadly obvious that it's all about the money, the romantic factor gets lost and they become just another business conglomerate that doesn't have any sentimental meaning anymore.

^ we do indeed have a thread on general luxe manufacturing in china, but not one about prada. :flower:

it is my understanding that it is illegal to ship leather items such as shoes made outside of italy into italy. how does this affect prada's business? does anyone know?

do they do a small run of leather shoes specifically for the italian market in an italian factory? and then have a chinese factory make the same shoe for the market outside of italy?

^ we do indeed have a thread on general luxe manufacturing in china, but not one about prada. :flower:

it is my understanding that it is illegal to ship leather items such as shoes made outside of italy into italy. how does this affect prada's business? does anyone know?

do they do a small run of leather shoes specifically for the italian market in an italian factory? and then have a chinese factory make the same shoe for the market outside of italy?

I was indeed talking about the luxe manufacturing in china thread as it led to the rest of my post.

As to my knowledge it is not forbidden to sell leather goods made outside of italy in italy but a punitive duty has to be paid for leather goods made in south east asia when shipped to the EU, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's one thing to sell products made in China, but it's another sell them at the same price as the stuff that is made in Italy or France. when you're able to produce something cheaper, it'd only be fair to reflect that saving in the final price.

either way... i think it's a lot of the Prada Linea Rossa stuff, which is ugly beyond belief anyway to begin with.

While I know that made in China isn't bad per se, I don't know how I'd feel if I'd pay 600 EUR for Prada shoes made in China. All in my head. :lol: Not that I automatically equate Made in Italy with amazing quality, I've had enough Made in Italy or France stuff fall apart, Prada included, at the same time Made in China stuff has been lasted years (Givenchy, yes, they outsource sometimes as well, apparently). And vice versa. Sometimes feels like lottery.
In the end, I'd prefer quality and if made in China can offer same/better quality, why not. However, it wouldn't seem fair to charge same amount for made in China as is charged for Made in Italy.
But I kinda think the Prada mainline is pretty much still all Made in Italy (haven't seen other labels), it's the Miu Miu and Prada Sport and those lines that are made in all-over-the-world.

All the labels keep trying to make things cheaper with lower quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
whar a SHAME !!! I won't certainly pay any euros for a prada stuff made in china. prada has an history that everybody should keep in mind...and going to China to produce clothes that represents this history is just stupid. low quality, for sure. But also, I hate the fact that they go there because it's cheap, because there people work for NOTHING ! it really upsets me, really really much.

to be just clear : we have means to produce in europe. we have means to make great quality clothes, bags... because "we" invented this quality fabric ! we have means to work with passionated people that in france we call "artisans" ("artists of fabric" in a way) that DESERVES to get a good salary. I bought a vuitton wallet both because it's high quality and also because I know people who made it (for some of them, with passion) will get a good salary at the end of the month.

i thought it was also quite an open secret that the material Vuitton uses (toile canvas) was made in other countries now too, no? i do believe i read that it's made in China, as is most of their hardware, just to be assembled in France or Spain...

and 'Europe' didn't invent quality fabric. cotton and wool has been used around the world forever. cashmere is Asia. silk is from Asia.

^ Exactly. One only needs to look a little into China's recent modern history to find that it's only very recently that it's received the negative "bad quality" connotations. China used to be the total opposite- Europe used to gush over how well made Chinese products were. Interestingly enough China is only 1 of 2 countries in the entire world that has had a product named after it (the China ceramic).

I'm not sure we can assume that the new Made in China Prada will automatically be of lesser quality. I mean it's likely, but it could very well be off good quality too.

Giorgio Armani criticized Prada's operations this week and said they had massive amounts of debt.

so i wonder if the increased production in china is to save money intrinsically. :unsure:

Giorgio Armani criticized Prada's operations this week and said they had massive amounts of debt.

so i wonder if the increased production in china is to save money intrinsically. :unsure:

Yea, that's true, they're 1 Billion (1.000.000.000€!!!) in debt, but Armani should shut his mouth, he also has a fair amount of clothing made outside of Europe.

but Giorgio divides his 'empire'/brand portfolio. the cheaper stuff is sold as 'Emporio Armani'/'Armani Jeans'/'Armani Exchange'. there's clear differences in price and quality and the foreign made stuff also cost less than the 'Made in Europe' stuff that is sold under 'Giorgio Armani'/'GA Collezioni'.

that is also reflected in being sold at different outlets.

meanwhile, Prada is Prada and as the article showed, China made products are sold for the same price as Europe made stuff (while most likely being cheaper to produce).

All the labels keep trying to make things cheaper with lower quality.

And then compensating in terms of public image by running adverts that play on the idea of craftsmanship or using shots of factories from decades ago when everything was made by hand in Italy. I've seen both Vuitton and Gucci do that in recent times.

And then compensating in terms of public image by running adverts that play on the idea of craftsmanship or using shots of factories from decades ago when everything was made by hand in Italy. I've seen both Vuitton and Gucci do that in recent times.

Now you got me interested. I've seen several articles in serious magazines praising Gucci for having everything handmade in Italy, where obviously the PR Department had a finger in the pie. But I didn't see any official Adverts by Gucci, let alone LV. May you post pictures of this?

Yea, that's true, they're 1 Billion (1.000.000.000€!!!) in debt...

How did Prada fall so badly in debt? 1 billion euros? :ninja: Is it some curse of the free champagne? Oh... Geez! By the looks of their always-super-crowded stores, I would have never guessed. :doh:

If they are really manufacturing in China, I hope they offer a real program with good training to ensure the workers are all skilled and that they do get paid decently.

Anyways, it's true, mainstream Chinese customers don't like to buy "made in China" goods from luxury stores, so maybe they'll ship the "made in China" stuff to Europe and the "made in Europe" stuff back to the Asia Pacific? :lol:

I think it is quite sad that they're only trying to make profits. At least they could lower the price considering that an Italian craftman would get paid, idk, 1200€ a month (it's almost the lowest possible salary in France), whereas a Chinese worker is bound to be paid 300€ a month maybe? That's pretty much unfair to the Chinese worker, the Italian one and to us customers...
But maybe they could use their factories to produce goods that would only stay within the Chinese market? That way it is adapted to their purchasing power, because the goods would be less expensive, because there wouldn't be exportation fees and stuffs. I know some luxury companies produce goods for the US market directly in the US, maybe it could be the same for China? Though I highly doubt "Made in China" would make a Chinese customer want to buy it..

Now you got me interested. I've seen several articles in serious magazines praising Gucci for having everything handmade in Italy, where obviously the PR Department had a finger in the pie. But I didn't see any official Adverts by Gucci, let alone LV. May you post pictures of this?

Hey, thejarc, I only know of the one with Gucci:

[ffshn.tumblr.com via gucci.com]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobAllen4599
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->