Preps

I got it now. Prep is B.C.B.G. This style is quite international, mostly worn by conservative middle class. It is also CHEAP because it does not date! However, in Europe the brands differ, since there is no J.Crew, Abercrombie etc.

Polo, Lacoste, Gant, TH t-shirts
Façonnable shirts
Armani or Closed jeans
Timberland or Sebago shoes. Weston in France
Aigle, Helly Hansen or Scapa of scotland jackets
Rolex submariner, Breitling or Panerai

It is very correct and predictable and often boring

shadow said:
I got it now. Prep is B.C.B.G. This style is quite international, mostly worn by conservative middle class. It is also CHEAP because it does not date! However, in Europe the brands differ, since there is no J.Crew, Abercrombie etc.

Polo, Lacoste, Gant, TH t-shirts
Façonnable shirts
Armani or Closed jeans
Timberland or Sebago shoes. Weston in France
Aigle, Helly Hansen or Scapa of scotland jackets
Rolex submariner, Breitling or Panerai

It is very correct and predictable and often boring

some very good brands there..........that sort of epitomize the Preppster look. I'm not sure on Timberland though.

I also think some places like LL Bean and Eddie Bauer would fit into that category. Definitely for the older Preps.

It is a predictable and boring look sometimes.............but it goes with the conservative sensibilities of those that are indeed Preps.

I don't think it can get boring. Instead of buying another white sweater, why not buy a... red. (Just make sure the colour suits you, and you can mi it into your wardrobe.) There's tons of ways you can make it interesting. The aforementioned argyle, hats, scarves, bags, pearls, COLOURS.

Preppy style....I like it somewhat. I'll say I'm a little bit of a prep, an artsy creative one, but a prep. I don't like when people go all the way...I'm talking khaki's, penny loafers, polo shirt, pearl earrings, hair bow in the hair tied perfectly into a perfectly pulled back straight ponytail. too much!!! I'll wear a polo on occasion, and like lots of preppy brands (RL, Lacoste, etc), but blame it on the community I live in!! There are preps everywhere. If I wore a band t-shirt and Seven jeans it'd be considered incredibly fashionable. Preppy to me is a style, but it's not creative...it's pretty much plain/laid out type of look.

One of the reasons I'm worried about possibly switching to private academy next year is how preppy all the kids their are...outside of school those kids live in polo's and plaid pants. Ahh maybe I can spice up their style!

True, Prep is neat but not creative. I would say it is liberating, though. You know your style, feel confortable in it and do not make fashion mistakes. People who wear this style are rather self-confident (smug?) but a tad predictable in mentality, priorities and behaviour.

I kind of have a thing for the preppy look, as long as you combinate it right. I think I got a tuch of preppy-ness in "my style."

Madde:) said:
I kind of have a thing for the preppy look, as long as you combinate it right. I think I got a tuch of preppy-ness in "my style."

Me too. Sometimes I look at myself and am like "Wow, I've overdone it today"

I definitely have some elements of preppiness in my wardrobe, it comes from my job (being a professional) and in a conservative environment (like DC)

From Audrey1.com

Audrey in white polo, great! I like preps, it is not that boring...
attachment.php

i think a touch of prep can be ok! However, you find that people can go overboard on the preppy look as it is so safe! 99% of people will think you look good, it's just those who are slightly more fashion conscious ( :blush: ) may see beyond it

I think you can never go overboard with simple and classic, because it's just that-simple and classic. Plus, there's actually alot of options that people don't usually see. Like, flip-flops, mocassins, drivers, boat shoes, espadrilles - there's actually alot of things to mix it up with. And that's only with shoes, you can always get your favourite polo in every colour, or something like that. It doesn't always need to be all plain, black and white.

I have to personally admit that I have purchsed pieces from Abercrombie, I will not lie. However, I only purchased them because they are basically timeless pieces, and with the consent of my mother, haha. For example, I think there's a difference between buying something because it's good quality and timeless, and buying something for the logo- your ticket to 'cool.'
I will NEVER be caught dead in this:
14483_01_b.jpg

Especially if it's something with a 'humorous' message, as the site states:
14362_06_b.jpg

I will opt for something simpler:
14342_01_b.jpg

I already have this top, but if not, I'd at least opt for something logo-free. See, I - unlike many - don't need to run into a trendy store and grab the nearest garment which screams 'coolness!' and pretend like I'm all hot. I think that one of the attributes of preps is the self-confidence. Like, I don't need to buy into trends to fit in, I, rather, follow the classic choices of generations past, because I know they are classics. I, also, don't need to prove to anyone who or what I am, because I already know who and what I am. eg. prove to someone that you're rich by wearing expensive clothes.
abercrombie.ca

Last edited by a moderator:
Liking the grey singlet-top... and that top white one with the "FITCH" is pretty damn funny, but I wouldn't wear it.

im confused all these American, i geuss there mostly american, clique stlye stuff confuses me. could someone explain to me what being a "Prep" equates to in a British school? is it like a nerd?

A prep is not quite a nerd, and definitely not a 'plastic' popular b*tch either. Actually, it's not really even a clique, it's a lifestyle. Basically dressing classic and simple and some other things like sailing and equestrian are associated with preppiness. I'm really not sure what it might be called in Britain, but I know they usually go to public schools and play squash and polo.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ oh ok, thak you. im still a little confused. if anyone on this thread here is british, is the style a bit like Sloanes (sp?) over here?

I don't know if there really is a British equivalent; as far as I am aware, prep originated in the New England region of the US. It's a little ironic; the people who "came over on the Mayflower", who were a generally rough lot, settled in this region and after many generations decided they were the nobility of the so-called New World. The polos, Sperry Topsiders, white tennis skirts etc. became the badges of membership in the country club society.

Prep is short for preparatory school, of which there are several in New England.

Anyone feel free to add to or contradict this, but be aware: wikipedia's got my back. :P

Erm in the UK there are still preps, but overall there seem to be less cliques so isn't as dominant. Basically think white middle class people who always seem to have clean and new clothes. (lolol) Erm includes chinos, lacoste polos with jumpers gently wrapped round neck. Oh also, alot of simmple classic polo ralph lauren polo shirts etc. Cream/navy dominant colours.

^ohhh, i no now. there the people you normally see around the private schools over here.thanks all for your help :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PyromancerBR
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->