Quality or quantity for new models?

orthelian

Reaction score
A discussion started at the end of the model casting thread about whether it is best for a new model with quality or quantity during their first couple of seasons.
I thought it could be interesting to delve a little deeper on the subject. :flower:

• Is it better to stay as selective as possible or walk as much as possible during the first couple of seasons?
  • What are the benefits and draw backs of the two strategies?
  • Do you think different models could benefit from different strategies, if so, what makes one choice appropriate for some and not for others?
I also thought we could make a list of models who have been successful over many years and note whether they chose quality or quantity their first couple of seasons.

Interesting thread, orthelian

This season I noticed Waleska G. who I remembered debuted at Dior Haute Couture and this season landed a top walkers this season while Julia Bergshoeff keeping her under close tabs but that could also be because of her age. But I wonder if its because they believe she has more promise then Waleska?

I also think of Juliane Grüner & Kirstin Kragh Liljegren once they finish their education curious to see how they both do.

If the thread is exclusively about walking in shows and not doing editorials, campaigns, etc., then I'd say doing as many shows as possible in the major markets is a better strategy than limiting a girl only to the top shows. Think of all the exclusives at the top shows like Calvin Klein, Prada, Balenciaga, Givenchy who have done nothing afterwards. If you can book a lot of shows, then just mathematically, you're going to book at least a few of the top shows. I can't remember a new girl who was able to book 30-40 shows in a single season but didn't manage to book at least a couple of A-list designers.
If a new girl is going to book just a handful of shows, but is able to keep them A-list that would be a different story. But how often has that happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noticed that some girls do well with staying selective: Hedvig Palm, Vanessa Axente, Amanda Murphy etc...
Take Hedvig as an example, she walked 5 shows her first season and walked almost thirty this season all of which were more or less A-list after like five seasons.

On the other hand, some girls like Julia Nobis, Frida Gustavsson etc. walked (julia still walks) a lot of shows, and have both been extremely successful.

Then there are some, with Marine Deleeuw as a very sad example, who walks a lot of shows of high quality one season and is dropped from a lot of them the next season... :cry:

I'm sure there are girls who walk few shows of lower caliber as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionblogger30000
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->