Rachel Roy F/W 08.09 New York

alix*

coffee&tv
Reaction score
NEW YORK, January 31, 2008 – Georgia O'Keeffe meets Cold Mountain for the Park Avenue set? That would be one way to describe Rachel Roy's Fall collection. Before her show, the designer said she was interested in the intersection between Native American and Colonial styles, but brought up-to-date for the women of today. It was a tricky proposition, though for the most part Roy pulled it off. If the geometric black-on-gray jacquard used for a tulip skirt and a belted blanket cardigan that topped a tuxedo shirt came off somewhat heavy-handed, there were plenty of other pieces that finessed the conceit in a more subtle way. Take, for instance, a black wool suit with an extra-long jacket worn with a flounced white silk blouse, or a pumpkin silk sleeveless dress with a bow at the waist and a statement necklace of feathers and beads. Here Roy caught that mix of rawness and polish she was looking for.

– Nicole Phelps
00010m.jpg
00020m.jpg
00030m.jpg
00040m.jpg
00050m.jpg
00060m.jpg

style

Even the gown feels a bit stiff. And I'm not at all a fan of the shoes.

i think its lovely but its looks far too inspired by recent collections... i see balenciaga references from fw 07, zac posen, doori...

It is a very stiff collection to me, for me something isn't clicking with the designs. I dig the autumn colors, though.

they don't look good all together....
and what happen to those shoes??:ninja::ninja:

i think it lacks cohesion. her stuff never looked wearable on shopbop models.

don't know where she is going with this collection. it looks very stiff. :ninja:

i think the problem is colors!they're too spicy:huh:

^also the fabrics and repeats look very heavy...
maybe too much decor

i think i like the high-waisted orange and navy skirts. that's about all that struck me as being likable.

I think it was a tall order but some of the looks are nice (especially the more casual ones). I really like the reference mixing and it being shown on the black girls. A very American collection really...
OK, some of the fabrics are a bit stiff but that is a look in itself, non?

haven't been much of a fan of hers in the past, but this looks good to me!

I like the high waisted skirts lots, but not much else.........

i'm not a fan of most of her designs because i just don't like the silhouettes. i do think there is too much heavy-ness and decoration but it seems to get a little lighter toward the end..

It's... almost to me. Just almost. Something is a bit off kilter, but it certainly isn't a bad collection. :flower:

^ I agree. I think maybe with some different fabrics or maybe different colors, this could've been really beautiful.

I think it all looks too much like standard "womenswear". Very traditional and conservative, boxy cuts.

There's no youth in them, either. I mean, older folks deserve fierce fashion, too, but I sincerely see these items on my Nana. :shock:

Model Citizen, I love your siggy! I agree!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dariabryzhnik
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->