Richemont - The Luxury Goods Conglomerate

Chloe and Dunhill are suffering twins. Designers in and out for too many times...

Chloe: Phoebe Philo - Paulo Melim Andersson - Hannah MacGibbon - Clare Waight Keller - Natacha Ramsay-Levi - Gabriela Hearst - Chemena Kamali

Dunhill: Kim Jones - John Ray - Mark Weston - Simon Holloway

Even though I love what Alain Dominique Perrin did as CEO of Cartier (and now chairman of the Cartier foundation), I am pretty fond of Buccellati silverware, and I would love a Vacheron-Constantin Historiques American 1921 in white gold: I have never bought anything and will never bought anything from that family. They thrived on tobacco and apartheid for several decades and never really faced any backlash for that ...
I hope the Ruperts have to pay every penny, in this life or another, and that the group is dismantled and sold brand by brand ... This family deserved to be ruined.
In my honest opinion, they are not worth more than Heidi Horten (may she rot in hell).

Good Luck to the new Chloe with those Chanel and Hermes prices
The prices for the Prefall are up and they are quite over the place but overall, it’s fairly priced.
The Runway collection might be very expensive but those pieces will probably be produced in super limited editions.

But overall, I think the new Chloe will be fairly priced all around.

Even though I love what Alain Dominique Perrin did as CEO of Cartier (and now chairman of the Cartier foundation), I am pretty fond of Buccellati silverware, and I would love a Vacheron-Constantin Historiques American 1921 in white gold: I have never bought anything and will never bought anything from that family. They thrived on tobacco and apartheid for several decades and never really faced any backlash for that ...
I hope the Ruperts have to pay every penny, in this life or another, and that the group is dismantled and sold brand by brand ... This family deserved to be ruined.
In my honest opinion, they are not worth more than Heidi Horten (may she rot in hell).
Their relative discretion has allowed them to slide through any type of controversy but the Ruperts are indeed deserving for any type of exposure needed today.
People concentrate on the Chanel story when for me, as long as the Weirthemers are still thriving, it kinda make up for whatever scheme she was into.

But given their past, the fact that the Ruperts can just live calmly is quite puzzling…and annoying.

When I heard about Richemont's links to the Apartheid Regime, I did a bit of digging into the history fo the company. Lots of this informations here is from French articles and pages:

Back in 1941, Anton Rupert, Johann's father, founded a tobacco company, Voorbrand, that became Rembrandt as they eventually expanded into vine, spirits, food, mining and banking. In 1954, Rembrandt took a majority stake in Rothmans, a defunct tobacco company, which acquired Carreras, another defunct tobacco company, in 1958 and Dunhill in 1967. Dunhill would later acquire Montblanc in 1977 and Chloe in 1985.

Rupert's introduction to luxury came when, in 1968, Robert Hocq, the founder of silver match, bought a Cartier licence in order to produce a gold cigarette lighter. Seeing the potential in Cartier, Hocq started looking for investors to buy the three Cartier companies in Paris, London and New York. One of those investors was Anton Rupert, who offered to buy 20% of Cartier America in exchange for a cigarette licence. When Hocq died in 1979, Rupert takes a majority stake in the now unified Cartier. In 1988, Cartier acquired two Swiss watchmaking houses, Piaget and Baume & Mercier.

Despite Rupert's anti-Apartheid views, Rembrandt risks facing boycotts in the face of mass nationalisation towards the end of the regime.In 1988, Johann proposes to split the company into two entities. The first would later become an South-African investement company called Remgro Limited. The second, using Rupert's shares in Cartier, Rothmans and their subsidaries, became a Swiss holding company called Richemont. In 1999, Rothmans International is sold off in the midst of several hard luxury acquisitions.

Anton Rupert has been a member of the Broederbond way longer than an anti-apartheid activist. Plus they bought all those brands with the revenue from tobacco and alcohol...
And btw I have the same ethical issue with LVMH and them making alcohol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->