Runway Rules

jssy4eva

Reaction score
I've noticed that alot of designers seem to have a set of guidelines or rules when it comes to a model walking down their runway.....for example, i've noticed that at Marc Jacob's shows, the models never pose, they just do a U-turn at the end, as opposed to designers like dsquared, who seem to want the models to have fun in front of the photographers and i remember one of the Michael Kors shows, where all of the models kept giving us really happy faces at the end...i know there are more, but i can't remember them now, so please add some if you could

Anyways......if you were a designer what do you think that your directions would be for your models?

I think that before a model even gets to do a show, that they should do a walk test, because too many models right now really can't walk in heels....also, i would want them to look happy, but no huge smiles, just a look on their face that doesn't look as if they are about to fall asleep or cry......

^ most models do a walk test...when they go to a go-see. Maybe models like Gemma, Heather, and Cintia may not have to...but I am sure less known faces do. Larger shows also usually have a walk rehersal before the show.

If I was a designer, of course.. I'd cast all doll faced models....
And I'd have them act like they were innocent and wide eyes and as if they're in complete awe with the world.:lol:

If I were a designer, I'd have a mix of edgy and doll/pixie-faced models (I'd so book Omahyra and Gemma in the same show). A very strong strut with a fierce pose at the end.

Yeah..XD

Mine would be all smiles. Bright clothes, fun poses at the end end of the runway, huge, cute grins at the end.

...this of course, would only happen if I could get away with having such a runway show. I don't think it would go over too big in the fashion world. :lol:

in my show none of the models would pose at the end of the runway....they would just "U-turn" as they do in Marc's. They would also have no smiles...just fierce looks on their faces...as if they were confused or pissed about something...I think that gives a face more depth and appeal then a smile.

Depends on the clothes but as I like structered CDG or Balenciaga or Westwood clothes, the models would be blank, and glide serenly with a simple single pose. The clothes shoudl do the talking. That said, I do like the dancing and giggliness of Betsey Johnson shows.

Givenchy Couture F/W 2009
givenchy_sign.jpg

jezebel.com

^ :lol:

in my show none of the models would pose at the end of the runway....they would just "U-turn" as they do in Marc's. They would also have no smiles...just fierce looks on their faces...as if they were confused or pissed about something...I think that gives a face more depth and appeal then a smile.

I agree that's why I love the mood at Lanvin, the girls look mysterious and help build a fantasy, a smile on the runway is a turnoff :smile:

one of my peeves when watching a show on youtube is when the model coming out has to make room for the model coming back in. The one going out should be given the right of way, and the one returning to be the one that's off center.

one thing happens just these recent seasons is models don't show the products properly to the camera walls. it's like they are set to walk that way, to delete the unnecessary product explosion, maybe?

a random pick, Lanvin for example
I know they are kind of amateur, but same thing goes not only menswear but also womenswear shows.

one of my peeves when watching a show on youtube is when the model coming out has to make room for the model coming back in. The one going out should be given the right of way, and the one returning to be the one that's off center.

I agree and its usually more prevalent with male models.

Poses at the end annoy me. They come over as tacky. If I were a designer, I'd ban silly posturing.

RAD by Rad Hourani Spring 2012
tumblr_mjwxf66h2k1s6ecygo1_500.jpg

anxieties.tumblr.com

If I was designer it would be strong music, girls walking to the rhythm, no smile, strong walk, strong pose, then go

Same for me, but I would actually make sure each girl could walk in their shoes and there was no ridiculous Cara walks going down my runway (no smirks, dead arm, awkward turns etc)

I think it depends on the collection. For couture: I'd like the girls to walk very elegantly. That is slower than usual, with poise, heads up and pose at the end of the runway in a Dior by Galliano kind of way.

However for RTW I'm all for strong, intense,determinated walks. For me it's all about the legs and the eyes. I find arms moving like Joan :ninja: or Cara do very distracting.I'd make sure each girl knows how to walk with heels. They should always rehearse before, with the heels AND the music. There's nothing better than models walking in sinc with the music. As for the pose at the end of the runway something like Lanvin SS08 or FW09 would be perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->