Scandinavian Street Style #2

Hel-looks is by and far always my favorite. I've learned so much about Helsinki via hel-looks too just picking up tidbits along the way. It's awesome.

It's been years since I follow hel looks and I could never warm up to it :ninja:, it's 'vintage shopping marathon' nightmare, I hate being mean but most of the people featured just look like they're wearing a bunch of rags for the sake of coming off as eccentric, with next to zero attention to actual detail.. which completely defeats the purpose of a great vintage piece imo, it's about finding items with a texture/color/embroidery/print/whathaveyou that isn't being produced anymore (at least not in the same quality), hence the thrill of it all. Picking up some mustard shirt big enough so that the shoulder stitching goes near your elbows, with a missing button and not caring about repairing it, styling it a bit into your expectations or how you envision the piece into your style and thinking you're just going to stand out pairing it with a pair of trousers with Hawaiian prints from the same store and hipster glasses with neon frames? it's kind of lazy and not at all creative for me.

This isn't just exclusive to hel looks though, I know it's global and I know sometimes it's refreshing to see people not caring enough instead of caring too much (blogger style) but, at the end of the day, how different both extremes really are from one another?

Sorry if that sounds dense, it's been on my mind for years and I'm bored enough to put it into words today. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been following it since I was a high schooler in the middle of nowhere -back then I thought it was really crazazy, so I guess I am just partial to it for sentimental reasons, :flower:

Oh, there's definitely something about that site that makes you follow it, whether for love or aversion, plain interest or even nostalgia (which would be my case too, I think this is one of the old-school streetstyle blogs that's been continually providing material without a drastic change of direction). Sorry if I sounded like I trying to contrast your post, I wasn't!, just saw the pics, got me thinking and ranted away! :lol: :flower:

This is a nice one, I like the hem on these shorts a lot.
20110812_01.jpg

hel-looks.com

I am kinda torn myself when it comes to Hel-Looks. Personally I would never ever dress myself like that but it matches with the whole city of Helsinki I think. I love being in both cities, Stockholm and Helsinki, but when it comes to streetstyle I am much more on the Swedish side :wink:

Here some recent Stockholm styles:
(not too much likes for the looks from my side but these were taken at Stockholm fashion week so...)

700-1600-0-100.StreetstylesTag3Stockholm_2.jpg

700-1600-0-100.StreetstylesTag3Stockholm_11.jpg

700-1600-0-100.OutfitsStockholmTag1_201106.JPG

700-1600-0-100.OutfitsStockholmTag1NR2_20117.JPG

700-1600-0-100.OutfitsStockholmTag1NR2_20111.JPG
lesmads.de

some from stockholm fashion week

202073_980.jpg

201838_980.jpg

201735_980.jpg

201239_980.jpg

201237_980.jpg

stockholm streetstyle

Way out West is currently going on in Gothenburg, so there should be plenty of images from there!

I'm disappointed in the distinct lack of metal band shirts in this thread. These are, after all, the lands that all manner of awesome metal has come from.

I need new posts in this thread for my life lol

Over half of the Stockholm Streetstyle shots shown here are not shot in Scandinavia, which kinda bums me out a bit, due to the blogs name. :(

This does, however, get me VERY excited to shoot in Copenhagen and Stockholm during August, and back in Reykjavik in late October.

Can I just say that everyone in scandinavia has beautiful hair. i'm in awe of all these styles :blush:

Seems like the whole of Scandinavia is hibernating as there's not much happening here -_-

Sadly I noticed that the Copenhagen Streetstyle blog has quit :( . Its photographer has started a new blog called "The Locals"
http://thelocals.dk/ featuring some street style fashion from Copenhagen and other cites, though it's not the same as the original one which I will sorely miss.

Copenhagen has a cool street style and you can actually see the people wearing those styles and clothes on a daily basis unlike for example hellooks and people of Helsinki.

I am just back from Copenhagen yesterday and I fell in love with CPH Street style.I spent most of my time watching people on the streets spending time at streetside cafes looking who wears what and how good they layer and how great their genes are :doh: I love the cuts and black (mostly) and white outfits.I think CPH was über stylish and underrated when it comes to bloggers (they dont have fashion bloggers as much as Sweden).I think CPH should be more pictured by street style photographers.I was too shy to ask people to capture them for my blog.but sartorialist can :lol:

and when we come to helllooks - after reading comments here- I am glad that not all helsinki wears clothes like I see at HELL LOOKS blog.It is totally different hippie-chic styles- nothing so close to total scandinavian style.

It's been years since I follow hel looks and I could never warm up to it :ninja:, it's 'vintage shopping marathon' nightmare, I hate being mean but most of the people featured just look like they're wearing a bunch of rags for the sake of coming off as eccentric, with next to zero attention to actual detail.. which completely defeats the purpose of a great vintage piece imo, it's about finding items with a texture/color/embroidery/print/whathaveyou that isn't being produced anymore (at least not in the same quality), hence the thrill of it all. Picking up some mustard shirt big enough so that the shoulder stitching goes near your elbows, with a missing button and not caring about repairing it, styling it a bit into your expectations or how you envision the piece into your style and thinking you're just going to stand out pairing it with a pair of trousers with Hawaiian prints from the same store and hipster glasses with neon frames? it's kind of lazy and not at all creative for me.

This isn't just exclusive to hel looks though, I know it's global and I know sometimes it's refreshing to see people not caring enough instead of caring too much (blogger style) but, at the end of the day, how different both extremes really are from one another?

Sorry if that sounds dense, it's been on my mind for years and I'm bored enough to put it into words today. :lol:

I was going to write something along those lines but now Im just going to say I agree with the post above. Most of the Hel-looks are kind of ridiculous. Just another opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->