Sexual Misconduct Allegations in the Fashion Industry

Unlike Weinstein, he is not accused of r*pe or neither to force people to do sexual acts in front of him and that is really important in that aspect. He would have been a total outcast for that matter...

There’s no such thing as “unlike Weinstein who did this this this.” They’re all the same regardless of the extent/degree and all should be condemned and to that sense, be a total outcast.

And I am utterly disappointed with those “friends” who condemned the likes of Weinstein and yet kept mum about Testino. Yes he’s a friend, but it is this exact same silence that enabled the likes of him to allegedly do such horrid things. Also, if they think that he is incapable of doing such acts, then speak out. Defend your “friend.” Their silence is not helping him as well.

The main reason why these “supporters” or “friends”, imo, are silent because they fear the possibility of condemning an influential man like him, and if he is acquitted of said charges, such condemnation amounts to burning bridges with him. Bye bye career.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's sad that everytime some accusations come out, people would very quick to criticise and denounce the accused person without waiting for confirmation or investigation that those are true or not

If you read the article, you can see that these accusations come from several different people, at different periods of time, who all had the same experience. That's called a pattern behavior and it's the closest we can get of a "confirmation".

Have any top models spoken out about Testino yet?
Every top model has worked with him yet several models who have spoken out against sexual harassment still follow him on Instagram and haven't made any statements about it.

Edie Campbell, via her IG:
I’m not really sure what to say in response to yesterday’s NYT story, but I’m not sure silence from within the fashion industry is necessarily very helpful either.
Here’s four quotes from my WWD piece that outline my thoughts. To all the men, your bravery is an inspiration. You had little to gain by coming forwards, and plenty to lose. By speaking out, you have done the hardest part: you have broken the cycle of abuse; and your actions will protect many many others from suffering the same assault and harassment.
To all those who dismiss, discredit, and try - once more - to control and belittle these men, and in particular Lavely and Singer, what you’re doing is shameful. #TimesUp

Sadly the accusations towards Testino don't surprise me one bit. I think everyone can imagine this kind of behaviour flowing around the industry.

Also don't think him and Werber will be the last ones. Let this rain wash away all the trash, every single one, no matter how famous or unknown.

For me, more than photographers, casting agents are more than responsible for this situation. And things needs to be done against some agencies.
Yes, Testino and Weber will be handled in the public face but behind close doors, things needs to be done.

And more than anything else: brands needs to be more involved.

I'm sure that Anna may have never known about this. For some reasons, maybe i'm naive, i believe she didn't know. She is not a stylist, she doesn't spend time in shoots and all.

I have a feeling 2020s will be a new, sligthly more positive era in fashion. Lots of editors and designers stepped down and people like Testino and Richardson are being swept away. And all this is making space for better talents.

The old regime is being swept away, and a new regime will take its place. Make no mistake, human beings - men and women - will tend towards abusing their positions of power if there are no checks in place and no light is shone on their behaviour.

There currently exists the opportunity to make 'new talent' realise that if they want power, they will be held more accountable than those who went before.

If you read the article, you can see that these accusations come from several different people, at different periods of time, who all had the same experience. That's called a pattern behavior and it's the closest we can get of a "confirmation".

Exactly, the New York Times would never publish such a story without having multiple reliable sources. It's not the Daily Mail.
The fact that some of the victims agreed to openly being named and pictured speaks volumes.

I do applaud Edie Campbell for her reaction, especially considering Mario Testino more or less started her career and seems to be a family friend of hers.

It won't be the American edition.

I think the UK edition would strictly enforce it as well. Testino is pretty much known in UK as he photographs pretty much all well-known people there (including his portfolio of British Royal Portraits). So I don't think Edward could get away with it easily should he use him again. However, I agree with the fact that the other minor editions could get away with using Mario for their covers again. Unless this becomes as big as the Weinstein coverage (since that involved celebs) I don't think the news media of other countries, mine include, would even waste their time covering this.

I have a feeling 2020s will be a new, sligthly more positive era in fashion. Lots of editors and designers stepped down and people like Testino and Richardson are being swept away. And all this is making space for better talents.

I know skepticism is my trademark, but more than anything I hope the new guard will just try to hone in a bit of variety in their work. It seems everybody wants to become signature photographers. What made the outgoing squad's creative era so powerful was their ability to flicker between light and dark. I've yet to see that from a fiercely contemporary photographer.

That was my thought, I knew exactly which words they were going to use. It's such a cliche.

This is very, very sad. I had no idea about Testino until someone hinted a few months ago ''towels will drop''. I don't really understand why some people start to defend them and saying they had good experiences etc. Not everyone has the same experience and like Cory Bond wrote ''These are my personal experiences and in no way am I saying that anyone else’s experiences are true or false. I wasn’t there. '' And the sad part is not only their actions but them being really big names and there must be a huge list of enablers, that is just so sad. No one saying or standing up sooner.

That was me.

To those questioning the legitimacy of the accusations, believe me when I tell you, they are very real and that these two are just the tip of the iceberg.

People should know that this issue goes far deeper than just the creative, it also runs deep into the corporate structure of these brands as well. Those stories are even more horrible, because I have heard of ways in which those men misbehave and then try to cover it up.

The models who aren't coming forward are still afraid to do so from fear of being reprimanded. Do you think someone like Anna enjoys having to sever ties with her friend, Mario? The answer is most likely no! Should a currently relevant, working, model come forward with damning accusations, they're likely to be banned from working with Conde Nast as well, because they're the ones who took down a close "friend."

Just know this, these situations are part of a larger web. Agents i bed with corporate guys who are in bed with creatives who work with publications.

It's just so strange to read this Vogue conduct, I mean good job they are not working with him anymore but surely this shouldn't come to a surprise? The fashion industry is not a very big place and I am sure most people knew, but just didn't do anything. So it feels a bit hypocritical now.

I am, however, glad this stories come to light now. I do think it is sad because Mario has had a sensational career, but when you act let this there shouldn't be a place for you in the industry.

Exactly.

I think it's true that there is a continuum of abuse, and some of these are worse than others. What can be very equal though is the results of the abuse. IOW, people can be traumatized equally by different types of abusive behavior.

What to do with the abusers is a somewhat difficult question for me. Should they be cast forever into outer darkness? Can an abuser be rehabilitated, and if so, how? They have proved they can't be trusted with power, and there are undoubtedly many very talented people who can take their places. Some are getting new deals elsewhere in a matter of days or weeks. No doubt there are many who are quite uncomfortable right now ... the ones who've behaved badly and haven't yet been exposed. For now they appear to be one of the good guys, but I'm sure some can hear the ticking of the time bomb ...

And PS, no alcohol on Vogue shoots now?! Why the hell was there alcohol there to begin with? Based on the workplace rules I'm used to, this just seems nuts to me.

Exactly.

I think it's true that there is a continuum of abuse, and some of these are worse than others. What can be very equal though is the results of the abuse. IOW, people can be traumatized equally by different types of abusive behavior.

What to do with the abusers is a somewhat difficult question for me. Should they be cast forever into outer darkness? Can an abuser be rehabilitated, and if so, how? They have proved they can't be trusted with power, and there are undoubtedly many very talented people who can take their places. Some are getting new deals elsewhere in a matter of days or weeks. No doubt there are many who are quite uncomfortable right now ... the ones who've behaved badly and haven't yet been exposed. For now they appear to be one of the good guys, but I'm sure some can hear the ticking of the time bomb ...

And PS, no alcohol on Vogue shoots now?! Why the hell was there alcohol there to begin with? Based on the workplace rules I'm used to, this just seems nuts to me.

Champagne.
You even have shows in the morning where people go champagne available.
But that's not only in the fashion world. In a lot of business meetings, a good contract or a good news is celebrated with Champagne or Bourbon. At any time of the day...

No doubt there are many who are quite uncomfortable right now ... the ones who've behaved badly and haven't yet been exposed. For now they appear to be one of the good guys, but I'm sure some can hear the ticking of the time bomb ...

If that was the case, it would be a step in the right direction at least. I'm quite sure there are still a lot of people in positions of power who behaved the way Testino or Weber did, but still don't even think they've done anything wrong.

That's because, honestly, things are so much more relaxed when on set - the environment, I mean. Sometimes it's almost like a party and everyone is just having fun and shooting. Other times, things can be a bit intense and everyone needs a drink. Remember, this isn't solving tough scientific or medical dilemmas. Sometimes, a model may need to loosen up a bit to really get into character.

I'm guilty of having drinks on set and I always like to make sure everyone is comfortable and having fun. However, I also make sure everyone is safe and I always ask models if they're comfortable with different situations or even little things like if they need a break or some water.

I know what I know about these photographers not because they do it in front of me, because I wouldn't tolerate it, but because the models I work with really feel comfortable enough to disclose them to me.

All that said, if alcohol is a contributor to such horrible behavior, I am perfectly fine with it not being on set.

That's because, honestly, things are so much more relaxed when on set - the environment, I mean. Sometimes it's almost like a party and everyone is just having fun and shooting. Other times, things can be a bit intense and everyone needs a drink. Remember, this isn't solving tough scientific or medical dilemmas. Sometimes, a model may need to loosen up a bit to really get into character.

I'm guilty of having drinks on set and I always like to make sure everyone is comfortable and having fun. However, I also make sure everyone is safe and I always ask models if they're comfortable with different situations or even little things like if they need a break or some water.

I know what I know about these photographers not because they do it in front of me, because I wouldn't tolerate it, but because the models I work with really feel comfortable enough to disclose them to me.

All that said, if alcohol is a contributor to such horrible behavior, I am perfectly fine with it not being on set.

What you´re saying is very disturbing, specially your first paragraph. Give alcohol to a model so she can relax? no wonder it´s a playground for the likes of Richardson, Weber, Testino...

Edie commented on Christiaan’s “He’s (Mario) not a predator because I, PERSONALLY, have never had a predatory experience with him so no one else’s predatory experiences count!” post with “Think you might be showing your age here Christiaan.” :clap:

What you´re saying is very disturbing, specially your first paragraph. Give alcohol to a model so she can relax? no wonder it´s a playground for the likes of Richardson, Weber, Testino...

I can see how that can be interpreted as disturbing. The problem is, to get the best photo - say, a certain angle, or expression, there has to be an amount of trust between model and photographer and pretty much everyone involved. If that trust exists, I don't see the problem with having fun on set. It becomes an issue when someone abuses that trust and takes advantage of someone else. It's like someone taking a shot or drinking some champagne before giving a speech in front of a large audience, an actor taking a drink before getting on set, or having sme wine before hosting a party.

I think Tom Ford attempted to say that to the NY Times, but either they interpreted badly or he bungled up the response. Yes indeed, if you're trying to get certain shots from above of a model's face (and I'm talking directly above, looking down), you either have to set up a bunch of arms and lights and attach the camera to them, OR, the photographer is going to have to climb onto/over the subject. In that case, they need to ask about comfort level and let the model know that if they're not comfortable, they can set up the camera on the equipment.

Sometimes, the images that look easy are the most difficult to create...

I don't know what happens on film sets, but if people didn't need to drink champagne every day in order to get 'into character' for The Hobbit, then someone modelling swimwear in a studio probably won't need it either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->