Should Emmanuelle Alt Leave Vogue Paris?

Should Emmanuelle Alt leave Vogue Paris?

• Yes

Votes: 142 52.4%
  • No

Votes: 129 47.6%

• Total voters
The reality is that Alt was responsible for a lot of the success Roitfeld had hence why they gave her the job.

There's less shock value with what Alt is doing and I do think the magazine is better for it.

But yes, the covers have been a bit bland.

Seriously, Emmanuelle and her team must be doing something right.. because just about every single magazine which is on offer today, continues to emulate their aesthetic - from layout to story ideas. There are multiple publications which have copied the sections outta' Vogue Paris also.

I am pleasantly surprised at the results of the poll, though. It seems the majority would want to see Alt leave Vogue - which is sad. I would hate to learn people who were interested in my magazine would want to see me out. From what was floating around online regarding Carine's departure (the bosses wanting a more commercial magazine), Emmanuelle has done just right. She's brought us wearable editorials, story after story, the focus being on the clothes and that's it. Which is, really, what a magazine like Vogue is all about. Yeah, most would argue it's about the fantasy, but I think that's rubbish. Vogue's a business.. a business needs to sell, sell, sell. I recall Anna Wintour saying Vogue's like a brand.. like either Nike or Coca-Cola.

I agree, fashion magazines are a business, but there are lots of ways to run a business. There are leaders who do it better (de Brunhoff, Crescent, Vogel, Roitfeld) and make the magazine exciting and relevant, and others that… not so much (Joan Juliet, Pringle, de Langlade, Alt).

It’s revealing that during the reign of those who injected new life and excitement to the magazine, it became the global ‘leader’ in fashion imagery…

I also think ‘fantasy’ is needed to make those global labels you named desirable. If not, they wouldn’t spend so much money in getting the most famous athletes in the world (in the case of Nike and Adidas) and make eye-catching commercials with them…

This brings me to my mind the case of Louis Vuitton. Arnault said the ‘magic’ of the fashion shows increased the sales of bags insanely. It’s kind of the same with these magazines (Vogue Italia, Vogue Paris), that are not exactly ‘best-sellers’ like Vogue China, Vogue US or Vogue España. And something like that happened with Carine: the whole allure of the team, of their spreads, of their covers and of their sections made the magazine the most sought-after publication in the world. If Vogue Italia, for example, had a more commercial vision, I think it wouldn’t sell half the issues they are selling with their ‘creative’ approach, because people already have the ‘commercial Vogue’ from where they live.

I would like to know how Alt is doing in term of sales though. As I said, adopting a ‘commercial’ approach doesn’t necessarily mean the magazine is selling more…

Last edited by a moderator:
None of the people slating her have the slightest chance of firing her and at the end of the day, she was chosen to replace Carrine.

Then... you can't talk about anything.

Seriously, Emmanuelle and her team must be doing something right.. because just about every single magazine which is on offer today, continues to emulate their aesthetic - from layout to story ideas. There are multiple publications which have copied the sections outta' Vogue Paris also.

I am pleasantly surprised at the results of the poll, though. It seems the majority would want to see Alt leave Vogue - which is sad. I would hate to learn people who were interested in my magazine would want to see me out. From what was floating around online regarding Carine's departure (the bosses wanting a more commercial magazine), Emmanuelle has done just right. She's brought us wearable editorials, story after story, the focus being on the clothes and that's it. Which is, really, what a magazine like Vogue is all about. Yeah, most would argue it's about the fantasy, but I think that's rubbish. Vogue's a business.. a business needs to sell, sell, sell. I recall Anna Wintour saying Vogue's like a brand.. like either Nike or Coca-Cola.

You mean, the sections that were created under Carine. All Alt has done is water down what Roitfeld built and introduce a couple of forgettable featurettes (aside from her blandly predictable cover succession)

And if you really consider that fashion, an inately creative business, should be ran the same way as Coca-Cola or McDonald's, I don't think that's a successful approach in the long run for whatever fashion brand. Where would Vuitton be without Marc Jacobs' creativity? Selling discount monogrammed trinkets at duty-free shops, exclusively.

Don't question me.. question Anna Wintour (the editor-in-chief of American Vogue), who stated Vogue is a brand just like Nike or Coca-Cola, on a documentary about her editing Vogue. Wether I agree or disagree with that statement is a whole different subject.

I believe Emmanuelle was the one who introduced Miss Vogue whilst Carine was still editing (at least I heard it was Alt's idea), to introduce more reasonably priced clothing into Vogue Paris. Alt then re-worked En Vogue into C'est Vogue.. putting even more focus on accessories.

You mean, the sections that were created under Carine. All Alt has done is water down what Roitfeld built and introduce a couple of forgettable featurettes (aside from her blandly predictable cover succession)

And if you really consider that fashion, an inately creative business, should be ran the same way as Coca-Cola or McDonald's, I don't think that's a successful approach in the long run for whatever fashion brand. Where would Vuitton be without Marc Jacobs' creativity? Selling discount monogrammed trinkets at duty-free shops, exclusively.

That point is completely irrelevant.

Publications are there to portray these clothes to the customer, selling a product to the customer, making them think 'I can't go a day without that suit making my life complete'.

A large proportion of you will never understand that because you're not women buying those clothes, very few of you are actually buying the clothes in Vogue Paris, at the end of the day if the money doesn't come into the stores, there are no brands to advertise therefore no publications so the key is making those clothes by their advertisers more desirable and lustful, making the customer visit the stores.

Carine took too many risks with their advertisers and that's what they're steering away from, just like what LVMH are doing with Dior, steering away from controversy and the whole extravaganza to clothes that translate well into the stores.

That point is completely irrelevant.

Publications are there to portray these clothes to the customer, selling a product to the customer, making them think 'I can't go a day without that suit making my life complete'.

A large proportion of you will never understand that because you're not women buying those clothes, very few of you are actually buying the clothes in Vogue Paris, at the end of the day if the money doesn't come into the stores, there are no brands to advertise therefore no publications so the key is making those clothes by their advertisers more desirable and lustful, making the customer visit the stores.

Carine took too many risks with their advertisers and that's what they're steering away from, just like what LVMH are doing with Dior, steering away from controversy and the whole extravaganza to clothes that translate well into the stores.

That's not true, though. The percentage of people who buy Vogue that can afford that kind of products is tiny. I remember an ex-editor-in-chief of a ‘commercial’ Vogue saying something like that; imagine if the Vogue we're talking about is the French one...

Well, Galliano took risks the first years, and that helped a lot to create the mega-brand it is today. The whole story of Dior can be summed up by "they wanted a change". And they went for the opposite direction -minimalism-. In this case they didn't go for a different direction; they just got the editor version of Bill Gayten (a beyond poor watered-down version of the previous one with no vision and no talent at all).

Don't question me.. question Anna Wintour (the editor-in-chief of American Vogue), who stated Vogue is a brand just like Nike or Coca-Cola, on a documentary about her editing Vogue. Wether I agree or disagree with that statement is a whole different subject.

I think you kind of misunderstood what she meant... I guess she was trying to say that Vogue is a household name as well as Coca Cola or Nike, just that (Coca Cola and Nike have nothing to do with each other…).

Anyway, if only Vogue Paris put the thousandth part of the creative effort they put in Coca Cola…

Vogue has the capacity of making people believe the brands they feature are the relevant ones… I don’t think any stylist would try her best to showcase, let’s say, an Armani suit because then Armani is going to increase the sales of that suit. She will have a list of advertisers and will use those brands like she pleases, just trying to create a story… But once the brand is in the credits, the advertisers won’t surely care if the Hans Feurer editorial has the same aesthetic as the ninety previous ones.

Anyway, even assuming that the 100% of the people buying Vogue Paris depends on Vogue editorials to buy the products of the luxury brands, I think they could still be done in a more exciting way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think everyone knows Alt is a talented fashion editor but not a talented EIC. Here is the difference. I think it's quite useless to compare Roitfeld and Alt but it may be necessary in this thread. The problem , for most of tfs members apparently, is the lack of "magic". "Magic" which was extremely present with Carine roitfeld. She has created "magic" thanks to her team ( Emmanuelle Alt, Geraldine Saglio, Melanie Huynh-Utzmann, Julia Von Boehm, Claire Dhelens, Fabien Baron, Marie- Amélie Sauvé, all of them are really talented and interesting ), her work ( + her team obviously) were original ( Roitfeld/sauvé)/commercial ( Alt, Saglio, Dhelens) and they succeded to build a very effortless chic parisian girl. Now we have only a commercial vibe, a dull team ( i dont care about Capucine Safyurtlu honestly, Geraldine Saglio well it's complicated :( and Claire Dhelens has become boring ).

I wish Emmanuelle Alt become more original or hire a really new and creative team to have a perfect balance between commercial and creativity because, for me, she just enjoys the reputation of Vogue Paris did by Roitfeld.

Vogue has the capacity of making people believe the brands they feature are the relevant ones… I don’t think any stylist would try her best to showcase, let’s say, an Armani suit because then Armani is going to increase the sales of that suit. She will have a list of advertisers and will use those brands like she pleases, just trying to create a story… But once the brand is in the credits, the advertisers won’t surely care if the Hans Feurer editorial has the same aesthetic as the ninety previous ones.

Anyway, even assuming that the 100% of the people buying Vogue Paris depends on Vogue editorials to buy the products of the luxury brands, I think they could still be done in a more exciting way.

You clearly didn't even register my point and clearly don't have an understanding of where I'm coming from, if these houses were happy for publications to play fast and loose with their products then why were they so p*ssed off at Carine for taking so many risks?

Simple, if you don't like Alt, don't buy VP, go and buy something else, it's not as if someones forcing you to like it or buy it, I just think you're taking your point too far now, it's like certain stores, I don't like their clothes, I simply don't buy them, it doesn't mean everyone has to hear of my utter displeasure in their clothes or their aesthetics, it attracts a certain market that like them and this is the same as VP, it's clearly still attracting a reader, whether it be the same audience as Carine's VP I don't know and tbh I don't really care.

I actually like Alt's Vogue. I even like it more than British Vogue somehow.

Well, it's been awhile now and I can say that I miss Roitfeld. I don't love CR Fashion Book as much as I loved Vogue Paris when she was there.

I wish Emmanuelle Alt become more original or hire a really new and creative team to have a perfect balance between commercial and creativity because, for me, she just enjoys the reputation of Vogue Paris did by Roitfeld.

I agree with this. I don't think Carine did the magic on her own, she did magic to the then Vogue Paris with her team together.
Now I feel the style under Alt's reign is so monotonous, she should build her team by recruiting someone who has a style other than the denim/jeans/rock kind she and her team share right now.

^That is what I agree with, I find the combination of the team all having similar aesthetics and likes make for a dull combination, she's a great leader, just with the right team it would draw much more attention without taking major risks... if they bought Fabien back on board that would be a dream teamed with Emmanuelle's aesthetic.

She’s a great leader but she’s incapable of creating a powerful team… How’s that possible? :blink:

so apparently she’s been fired from Vogue, without being replaced

Hi everyone,
Who will succeed Emmanuelle Alt ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhill
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->