Should Emmanuelle Alt Leave Vogue Paris?

Should Emmanuelle Alt leave Vogue Paris?

• Yes

Votes: 142 52.4%
  • No

Votes: 129 47.6%

• Total voters
Well, i don't think that the problem is only Alt but the whole team. I have loved VP under Carine because it has been different point of view of fashion but now not. I can't make the difference between Alt's, Saglio's and Safyurtlu's editorials because they are the same vision : rock, effortless, feminine and so boring. I think this team don't know catch the essence of different collection except for these collections like Balmain/Mar ant. Then, for me, Alt isn't a team leader as Roitfeld, Wintour, Sozzani.

I have some issues with the covers that Emmanuelle Alt's produced at EIC but I don't think she should be fired because I think she needs time to properly create her own vision of the magazine. I think my main issue is that the covers stars aren't varied, I mean Kate Moss has been on the cover three times in 15 months! That's a lot. I wish Alt would have more diversity in her coverstars, some women of color would be nice to see, and that she wouldn't always use the same models. However, I do like that she continues to put models on the cover because lot's of Vogue's haven't done that in a long time. For all of my complaining I do think she's produced some pretty solid covers. And it will take time for her to hone her own vision. We need to allow her time to make these decisions before we jump down her throat and then show her the door.

Like many people have said before, much of Carine's iconic covers/editorials during her tenure as EIC were because of Alt's styling which is slightly problematic because when it's come time for her to create her own Vogue Paris it's very similar to Carine's so some people she isn't creating her own magazine. Which is so unfair to Alt, she should be given credit where credit is due. Yet, I wonder, if it wouldn't be better for her to change up the style direction of VP in order to move away from the "era of Carine" so she can truly come into her own.

sorry this is the most random poll i ve ever seen it here i agreed with JuiceMajor its created just becoz someone cant accept the reality that has happened a year and a half ago as for me I prefer EA than CR so she should stay and leave her alone she is doing her fine and its fine

I don't love Alt and was actually really disappointed with some of her issues but I can't imagine a better editor for VP at the moment. She is what Parisian Vogue is all about - a strong stylish woman who knows what she is doing, enjoys herself and genuinely loves fashion. Yes, Carine's version of Vogue was more artful and interesting to talk about but Alt's Vogue is what a real Parisian woman wants and needs.

Yes, absolutely. Carine's way of doing business was so low and dirty in her last years and Emmanuelle is just a toned down extension of it, except she's very limited in the creative department, at least Carine explored sexuality and vulgarity through all possible outlets, this woman is all about short shorts and thick knits in all of her spheres of influence, doesn't get more innovative than that. And yes, she's done pretty covers for VP, but I want a lot more than 'pretty' from Vogue Paris.. which I still associate with the city that's the heart of fashion and where all trends and ideas run [more] freely.

I still can't believe they didn't have the guts to fire her too when they could.. same for Wintour, but I don't think that's ever been considered. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't love Alt and was actually really disappointed with some of her issues but I can't imagine a better editor for VP at the moment. She is what Parisian Vogue is all about - a strong stylish woman who knows what she is doing, enjoys herself and genuinely loves fashion. Yes, Carine's version of Vogue was more artful and interesting to talk about but Alt's Vogue is what a real Parisian woman wants and needs.

I absolutely agree with what I've bolded. Alt's content is the same as Carine's, with a little bit more emphasis on the text/features, and made the magazine more commercial - which isn't a bad thing in CN's eyes. It's all about making money, and by increasing the commercial nature of the magazine, Alt is only helping, rather than hindering.

A few TFS members saying they're not buying it any more isn't going to cause Condé to fire Alt, not in the slightest... :lol:

Alt's content is the same as Carine's, with a little bit more emphasis on the text/features, and made the magazine more commercial - which isn't a bad thing in CN's eyes. It's all about making money, and by increasing the commercial nature of the magazine, Alt is only helping, rather than hindering.

Carine nearly doubled the circulation of the magazine with her genuine approach... Let's see if Kate Moss disguised as David Bowie can beat that. :flower:

I'm quite unsure about it. Some months ago I would probably say yes but nowadays I've changed my mind. I really dislike the huge collections editorials they do twice a year, but they've done this since Carine was in charge.
I don't really like Emmanuelle's work as a stylist, it's always too predictable, but when it comes to EIC she manages to keep it nice. I love the fact that Glen Luchford has become a regular contributor and even though I can't really remember something too remarkable right now, there were other editorials/collaborations which looked really good. She also delivered an amazing work with Testino... Laetitia's spread was fantastic.
As far as I remember, Carine's first years were very experimental too, but in a riskier way. I loved that period but when Baron became the creative director (or artistic, I'm not sure) the magazine's quality got even better. I feel the same for Interview, which is definitely my favorite magazine of the moment.

I'm sorry but I find this question quite stupid, especially when Emmanuelle is getting more and more comfortable in her new position. You can feel there's a real improvement @ VP in the last 4 issues, an improvement not only from her first issues as an EIC but also from Carine's final years. They failed with their August cover yes ! but if every editor was sacked everytime they don't deliver a perfect cover that'd be quite ridiculous.
Alt VP maybe more commercial and less bold creatively but at least she does it right.
My only real complain is her repetitive model cast in every issue. It is silly and frankly bad, if a big publication like Vogue Paris doesn't support new faces and diversity how can we expect the whole fashion industry to move forward.

When you look abck at the covers she has under her belt...I remember at-least 6 of them being RAVED about in the forums.

Last August and Octobers covers were fantastic! Like every magazine, there are hits and misses.

She's made the magazine more commercial, which in my opinion is not a good thing. Vogue Paris used to be one of the most High Fashion Magazines in the world. Now it's been watered down, it's sort of like Elle or Instyle except with fancy packaging. At least Carine was experimental and unafraid, she even used a variety of Models both new and old. I haven't purchased one issue since Carine left. With a title like "Vogue Paris" this Magazine should be the best in the world, instead it has stooped to an inferior level that blends in with most other minor "Fashion" Magazines.

The revisionist feelings toward Carine are seriously cracking me up. People were bitching and bitching about every issue Carine did shortly before she left.

Sometimes I have to wonder if what people expect from fashion magazines just does not match what magazines can actually produce.

I really want Emmanuelle to stay.I do think the magazine now is much better than her previous ones,and I do believe VP will be getting better in the future.

Well, the begining of Emmanuelle as EIC the first issues under by her, the eds were a kind boring, because VP become more commercial like Elle or InStyle, but recently a few last issues produced a nice eds, for example (the issue with Laetitia on the cover), Emmanuelle made an amazing work, as well with the other eds with respective stylists.

I think my problem is than her using the same models on each issue, i mean i wanna to see other models will star the eds.

But i think the team of Conde Nast don't have an other person who will be replace Emmanuelle & let's hope in the future than Emmanuelle still will produce a good work. I mean she don't left VP yet.

I don't think the styling has anything, or at least not much, to do with why the cover shots haven't been up to par. As has been mentioned, Alt was a lot of the times responsible for the styling of the cover shoots during Carine's time in charge - and those turned out great. The problem is that they all have the potential to make a great cover, but Emmanuelle doesn't always have the right eye, or direction, for what makes a good cover shot or not.

Now the covers aren't my biggest problem (if they'd only bring back the old font, or at least get a new one that doesn't make the magazine look cheap). The general lack of great editorials (the images to me, feel empty) and repetitiveness is why I haven't renewed my subscription to Vogue Paris and why I don't find the magazine to be alluring anymore.

The revisionist feelings toward Carine are seriously cracking me up. People were bitching and bitching about every issue Carine did shortly before she left.
While this is true, the unfortunate reality of this is that the magazine has not improved since Carine left. I would argue that it has become worse under Alt's new direction, but then I wouldn't advocate for her being fired.

Since I can't actually read Vogue Paris, my opinion of the magazine lies solely in the way it looks, and I have to say that magazine has been looking awful. All rhetoric about these-things-taking-time aside, I think Alt has already made clear the direction she wants to take the magazine, one which appeals to a more commercial side of fashion (at least in comparison to Carine's direction). There's nothing wrong with that. It could certainly be good news for readership, circulation, and I'm not even going to harp on about Alt alienating readers who were interested in Carine's vision because they can very well pick up her new magazine debuting this fall. What does bother me is the repetition. What does bother me is that I can hardly differentiate one issue from the next. What does bother me is that because of this, I can't bring myself to actually buy this magazine anymore.

Alt's allegiance to certain photographers and models is a big issue for me, and for as dull as the magazine has become she doesn't seem to understand the idea of moderation. I don't like Giampaolo Sgura's brand of photography. The Zoom, Beauty, Jewelry sections are a big fat miss for me month after month. They are unbearably catalogue-looking. And I wish she would tone down the use of Hans Feurer, a photographer whose style I do love but the pages of VP have become saturated with it. The same models shot by the same photographers month after month... what's the point? One could argue that Carine did the same, but she was always a champion of new faces and I think that the photographers she loved did some of their best work while she was there.

Despite how it might seem, I do not place full responsibility on Alt since this is the collaborative effort of a large number of people. If I were CN and VP was making money then why mess with a good thing? But that doesn't mean I want to read the magazine.

I voted yes, simply because she was not made to be an editor-in-chief. That woman is "just" a stylist. Not someone who should have been given the responsability of a magazine (I'm talking creativity-wise since I've no idea of how well or badly her issues have been selling so far...).

Every single issue under Alt has something missing: a soul. I'm a subscriber and have been for four years now. I always have pleasure looking back at my old issues, but I haven't flicked through more than once at any issue Emmanuelle has put up. As much as I can't stand her, Roitfeld had something that Alt doesn't seem to have: a clear and consistent vision of what she wanted VP to be. Alt doesn't have that; or if she does, it's pretty dull.

I hated Roitfeld latest issues, thinking they were getting more and more boring and uninspired. Therefore I welcomed the news of her departure with hope for the magazine, looking forward to a fresher direction. This, until I found out Emmanuelle Alt was given the job. While she did produce some of VP's best editorials, her work became more and more of the same ol' stuff when the magazine was still under Carine... Rock chick, desert, I&V, Isabel Marant, Balmain. That seems to be the only thing she can do. It was fun for a while, but not anymore.

Someone mentioned the problem in the art direction and I definitely agree. I haven't liked how VP has looked ever since Fabien Baron left... If Alt has to stay, a change of the creative director would be more than welcome...

Finally, I must say her work is not bad per se. It's just dull. She really has to shake herself up and try to establish a strong vision for that magazine. Style less, get a new team, different models, different photographers. I want her to do something out of her comfort zone. I want her to make me feel excited by the idea of getting a new issue. If she can't do that within the next year and her sales figures are not so good, then she should probably leave.

Now let me go back to mourning the fact that the job was not given to Le Figaro's Virginie Mouzat :lol: !

I honestly don't see anything wrong with her work. To me this Vogue just feels cleaner. As for her approach to sexy provocation as someone mentioned here, I don't think it's lacking either. I'm actually kind of fed up with sex in fashion at the moment. I'm gonna take a nap, call me back later.
What I do hate about the new Vogue Paris is their website. I don't know whose idea it was but I find it horrible to navigate and I barely ever use it, whereas I used to spend a lot of time on the old one. If it's Alt's, then oh my God, she needs to get fired! :angry::P

Someone mentioned the problem in the art direction and I definitely agree. I haven't liked how VP has looked ever since Fabien Baron left...

My sentiments exactly!

Nonetheless, I don't wish for her to leave, only to step back and reconsider her target audience, there's already a fair number of cliché editions of Vogue, it pains me to see VP became one too; a low-key approach doesn't necessarily have to be commercial.
With models and photographers being a holding pattern it obstructs any kind of possible progress. Art direction isn't helping either.

May issue being the exception, I haven't felt the urge to buy any other since she took over. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhill
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->