Sources for Production & Manufacturing

groovygirl

Reaction score
Question:

Is it true that small apparel companies ($1-10 M) do not have the same access to overseas manufacturing (mostly China) as the larger companies?

I was talking to a woman who has a company that offers small companies this ability. Just want to know from the communities perspective if this is interesting/relelvant. (also, please table the overseas manufacturing contraversy...I understand--and buy into--the position, but that's for another thread)

Thanks for your good thought,
GG:heart:

well, this is not true..
anyone with a company can actually outsource in China (or elsewhere) as long as they have the money, they risk late deliveries and can afford the huge minimums (India is been lowering minimums lately)

welcome to TFS groovygirl

not really. The only difference is in the size of the company you'd source with. Some of those factories require huge quantities, so they tend to like working with large businesses. On the other hand, the smaller factories can't handle huge orders and prefer working with smaller businesses. I work as a sweater technical designer in the U.S. Recently, there have been restrictions on the Cotton "quota" from China. This means that the larger companies who buy tons of cotton sweaters are having a harder time importing it from China than the smaller businesses that buy small amounts. So to me, at this time, it seems that the smaller companies have an advantage in Chinese manufacturing.

What country's clothing manufacturers make the highest quality clothing?

Hi, I have read that China (of all places) makes like Vuitton's actual clothing (hence the country making the fakes as well). Besides the cheap labour, how can good quality clothing come out of China? Does anyone know what manufacturing companies any designers use (like from Juicy to Chanel, any)?
THANK YOU.

Actually I have no clue. I do know that often the process of making a garment is an international affair. For example, your wool sweater may have wool from Chinese farms, which is taken to India for the dying process, and then made into a sweater in Italy.

Last edited by a moderator:
quality is not cheap.. but outsourcing is

people dont go to China for quality, just for cheaper price
i think Europe still leads quality and China leads pricing

starz1 said:
Hi, I have read that China (of all places) makes like Vuitton's actual clothing (hence the country making the fakes as well). Besides the cheap labour, how can good quality clothing come out of China? Does anyone know what manufacturing companies any designers use (like from Juicy to Chanel, any)?
THANK YOU.

What is it about China that makes you think it's impossible for it to produce quality goods? :huh:

I was talking about what companies actually make each designers pieces. I was searching the forums and I cant find the post where some of the forum's users were spilling the beans about what companies are used by some companies.

Sourcing & Manufacturing from the West OR East

Hi, so as a Canadian, I don't have any problems having my garments manufactured in 3rd world countries, because I'm giving these people with no income employment. But here are my pro's and con's for me picking which side of the world I should have my line made in...

Canada/USA
pro's...
-people who purchase the goods have a sence that they can relate to the brand, since it's made over here (like American Apparel...)
-can check in person at the factory to check quality
-I think NAFTA allows Canadian manufacturers to have their goods shipped to the US tarif/duty free
con's...
-WAY overpriced manufacturing rates

India/China
pro's
-super cheap production rates
con's
-need to hire production manager to check quality of products
-hidden duties/fee's slapped on the shipments when they arrive on US/Canadian soil, sometimes making the final cost the same as what it would cost to make them in USA/Canada (because of the tarif's customs slap on at any given second at the border)
-might be counterfeited quicker, since it's from a 3rd world country

Whats EVERYONE's opinion, I LOVE hearing them!!

where are you in Canada?
I know a woman who is the lead of the apparel sector department at the City of Toronto and I am sure she would share all the reasons why you should keep it local.

I'm generally OK with giving work to whoever wants it and is qualified to do it. But, there are other things to consider when off-shoring:

How long will your freight sit on the water?
Are you at risk for having your product embargoed?
Is your product protected from the elements (usually not)?
Do you have "feet-on-the-street"?
Can you get your product out of the country of mfg? or,
Are there dirty secrets and greasy palms you need to know about?

There's a host of risks that you would need to mitigate. I don't say this just to scare you. It's in your best interest to have all the logistics firmly under your management if you're going to produce.

Where to Manufacture? - Europe vs. India/China

Hey guys, just wanted to get a few opinions from people in regards to place of manufacture.. otherise known as 'made in..'

As the ridiculously motivated person I am, I was planning on getting samples etc made up soon to launch my label.

What I wanted to know, particularly from buyers, is how important the country of origin is when buying garments? Is it fine to manufacture somewhere like India or China if the garments are priced appropriately, or does this not really matter if the designs are fantastic and the end product is good quality?

And for the consumers, (or shop-a-holics like me ;-) ) how important is where the garments made in determining whether you buy it?

Love to hear peoples opinions on this. ^_^

Good question!! I was complaining about this recently. I brought some clothing from BCBG and just happened to notice it was made in China. Nothing wrong with China, except I thought they could have made it in Europe. Cheaper stores make things in China and I felt I could have just spent a lot less and got the same thing, pratically. I love BCBG, but was a little annoyed. And to see 10 year old children in China making toys, etc. is just wrong.

mmm.. see thats my dilemma. I was thinking of manufacturing in india, purely because I have contacts to have it done over there, and as I am able to get small amount made (thank god) it will work out a lot better since I have low starting capital.

I know that the conditions at the factory I was considering are fantastic, none of this child labour or what not, but I'm afraid that the connotations of manufacturing with those countries may jeopardise my labels image... =S

I'm having the same prob. Being a young designer from Jamaica i have to make sure that I don't produce my clothing here as ppl will not buy it. Unless it has made in USA ppl won't buy it.

So saying this to say, the country of production does impact on how your line is viewed/received. And even though China seems to have gotten the contract for making everything (hahahahhaha) people are not expecting high quality goods from there...t-shirts maybe but not high quality brands.

Okay, don't get me wrong. I'm 100% behind domestic manufacturing, that's what I do. I don't help people move production off shore because I don't know much about it and domestic work keeps me busy.

That said, if you have crap coming from China, it's because the brand wasn't willing to pay for it to be done properly.

And let's just say it was the chinese contractor who loused it up, why did the brand ship it to stores if it was crap? Why didn't they return it? Trust me, they could have.

Don't blame China, blame the brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Production in Mauritius?

Does anyone know good producers of the final product in Mauritius?

I hear Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss etc produce there, but I can't find details regarding the actual factories.

A bit more research shows RL doesn't produce there anymore, but a lot of big brands still do. Any help finding a good factory would be much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aytac523
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->