Sydney Sweeney

sixtdaily

Reaction score
Looks like she doesn't have a thread here yet...

Sydney Bernice Sweeney (born September 12, 1997) is an American actress and producer. She first gained attention for appearing in the television series Everything Sucks! (2018), The Handmaid's Tale (2018), and Sharp Objects (2018). In 2019, she was featured in Quentin Tarantino's film Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Sweeney has starred as Cassie Howard in the HBO teen drama series Euphoria since 2019 and played a sardonic teenager in The White Lotus in 2021. For her roles in them, she received two Primetime Emmy Awards nominations in 2022.
wiki​
Berlinale 2023
Portrait for the Festival, red carpet for the premiere for "Reality" and press conference photocall

vogue.de, celebmafia​

Armani Beauty X Harper’s Bazaar Dinner in Berlin - February 2023

celebmafia

Her stylist is Molly Dickson - I hope they keep working together, because she's done a fantastic job with elevating Sydney to fashion-girl status (as she also did with Sadie Sink)

^ she looks fantastic, I think she's in a tricky area in her career in which she can easily end up in some Jennifer Love-Hewitt type of category (not entirely pointless, Carmen Electra-ish/male gaze type of stories but still nothing valuable enough to take her to the A list) but she's been making good choices, can 100% act and the styling helps a lot.. I have seen her in some tacky stuff, but she's also shown that she can look like a classic Hollywood star in the right event. That Armani dress at the Berlin dinner is so pretty, and loved the one she wore at last year's Venice Film Festival. :blackheart:

GettyImages-1420194524-2000-390d9540342844f294c0ac7e6e0109fc.jpeg
GettyImages-1420186779.jpeg GettyImages-1420192225.jpeg

^she's certainly talented enough that she deserves better than being stuck in male-gazey or nondescript 'It girl love interest of the moment' roles (a la JLH as you said) and her team seems to be doing its job offscreen.

She'd do well to take a leaf out of the book of a young Scarlett Johansson (also curvy and as a result heavily sexualised at a very young age though she was usually a teenager playing older, not - as in Sydney's case - a 20something best known for playing a teenager), both style-wise and career-wise, Scarlett heavily leaned into the Old Hollywood glam thing for red carpets while dressing age-appropriately off it and that set her apart from other starlets her age/got her access to some major fashion contracts.... of course, it also helped that she was working with critically acclaimed directors too, that burnished her image in a major way.

^ yeah, I think that bar might be too high because Scarlett grew up with more privileges and opportunities so no matter how sexualized she was later, the highbrow parts of her background always secured her credibility.. not sure what she's up to these days but she attended a prestigious drama school as a child, was doing off-Broadway stuff and in a Coen Brothers film and Ghost World before she was even 18. Sydney was raised in rural Idaho with no connections to the industry.. I think Euphoria was her best shot to acquire fame and fast and it might be hard to break out of that, but.. it's not impossible. I thought Reality was a great step and shows she can carry a film by herself and without any focus on body.

^tbf Scarlett's connections in the industry happened not because she grew up rich (by the sound of it her family wasn't, especially after her parents divorced) but because she was a child actor, which is its own minefield to traverse but also put her on Sofia Coppola's radar when she was only 11 or 12. She got really lucky in that she didn't get very famous as a child and her breakout role was her playing a 20something so she never got stuck in the teen movie ghetto that JLH and those 90s teen stars did, but 'bombshell' is always a category that has an expiry date and it went in her favour that she'd done some projects filmed before her breakout that didn't put that much focus on her body (Girl with a Pearl Earring being the most notable one) but it helped hugely that she dressed in an elevated way too, Annabel Tollman did a great job with her there.

Sydney has a different career trajectory thanks to where she started from and the media landscape now but she has a level of talent and range that would make it a shame if she got stuck in that 'known for her body' box and I do think Scarlett navigated that well despite personal difficulties. At this point Euphoria overshadows everything else she's done but she was fantastic on season 1 of The White Lotus and in Reality, even her small role in The Handmaid's Tale. Though there's just much less of a chance for stars to be created out of actual movies now given how fast these 'exclusive to streaming/tv' movies sink, so using her promotional appearances and styling to get attention is the best strategy there is. Euphoria helped by dressing her in Prada so the high fashion link to Prada/Miu Miu could be carried offscreen, but her Armani looks are great too - love the bow and black-and-navy contrast, and also the back here. Probably a smart idea to have one 'classic' label as backup if Miuccia's ideas get a touch too editorial for the red carpet too, her images for the Armani My Way campaign were surprisingly fresh and youthful.
(images from elle.com)

sydney-sweeney-armani-beauty-campaign-1673028237.jpg ga-2023-my-way-parfum-sydney-sweeney-beauty-visual-4-rvb-1673028354.jpg ga-2023-my-way-parfum-sydney-sweeney-beauty-visual-3-rvb-1673028440.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->