Tea Staining Clothing

I can't give you karma but I love the colour of your doilly shrug..... feeling even more inspired now! :heart:

Alliecat said:
Was just wondering how that would affect the longevity of the pants.

unfortunately, i'm not an expert. what i know is that cellulose fibers (cotton, linen, hemp, jute, etc) don't like acid, while protein fibers (wool, silk, camel, etc) don't like alkaline (bleach is one). one website quoted 30-40 years, but i'm sure it depends on such factors as the age of the garment, how long you steep it, etc.

thansk susie...i am inspired too!...i can't wait to wear it!
since it worked out so well, i am trying to think of other things to do as well...
really excited to see what your creative little mind comes up with!!..

please share!!..
:heart:

i've never seen orzo like that runner---i guess it must be toasted...
i have only ever had it as a pasta in soup or cold in a salad???...

that's new to me...:huh:
very interesting...!!

^It looks so pretty with that on the blouse, softgrey :woot:

^_^Thanks sea_of_stitches for all the information

I've done this before as well on lace trim I had lying round-gave the piece I was making it a bit of character. It does leave a really great,dingey heirloomed affect.

you're welcome sea of stitches, Alliecat, softgrey

sasuga softgrey
that looks so beautiful!

apparently you'd drink that orzo just like coffee.
with dripolator etc.
and it is not as strong as coffee and tea.

just remembered in the late 90's someone at CdG was telling me that some of Helmut Lang jeans were done with tea in order to look antiqued with faded part lightly browned.
actually the inside seemed the color of tea all over.

Last edited by a moderator:
^now I wonder if Prada used tea in her spring '06 collection too. A lot of the dresses had these same tea/coffee colours and gave the impression of antique (especially the pockets of the grey dresses, which were beaded with wooden beads).

softgrey said:
i've never seen orzo like that runner---i guess it must be toasted...
i have only ever had it as a pasta in soup or cold in a salad???...

that's new to me...:huh:
very interesting...!!

Orza is a rice shaped pasta but is also the name of a beverage made out of roasted barley. :flower:

thanks runner and snickerdoodles..i never heard of the beverage

Last edited by a moderator:
love the shrug, softie.

and love the look and concept of the tea dye. nice not to have to use chemicals and get that beautiful vintaged effect.

Inspired by Softie's tea staining efforts, I decided to give it a go as well....
I didn't want a strong colour so I only left the fabric in for about an hour or so. I used PG Tips (best tea for dunking digestive biscuits I tells ya!)

I used an old school shirt, some antique doillies and an Edwardian cotton collar to make this shirt thing....

tea29uw.jpg
tea35bz.jpg
tea14lp.jpg

tea40nh.jpg
tea55mz.jpg

glad so many people seem to be liking this thread...
susie...
that looks reallly great!!...:woot:...

i bought a white top that i like so much that i went and bought two more...:lol:...
thinking i may tea stain one of them now...

great thread. i'd like to tea stain a pair of my jeans after i've processed them. it might make them look dirty? i don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silvercat90
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->