The future icons of fashion

when i first read the title, i thought i would read Gareth Pugh or people like that...
but no... all the people you're talking about are, to me, pretty well established...
all supported by the Wintours&Cie.
they arent icons yet though.

On the editorial side, I think Anna Wintour will definitely be an icon because of her personality. Roitfeld might be remembered for her style, but that's it. I can't think of any revolutionary models, though. Maybe Gemma Ward or Lily Cole or whoever the first 'alien' was.

I think Anna will be remembered...to my dismay. :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell me about it... Zac always has a place on my least-favorites list. :ninja:

Why are there so many votes for Posen? He hasn't done anything new... He doesn't have his own vision... It doesn't make any sense...:blink:

Zac Posen
Galliano
Vera Wang with her wedding dresses
Alexander McQueen
Valentino
Christian Louboutin

and many others

sorry if this is in the wrong forum.
Who do you think is going be iconic in the next few decades, who will be the next karl, or valentino?

Personally, my money is set on a few designers...
Olivier, Doo.Ri, and Giles.

haha, God knows

Maybe look at the "Star Wars"

I wish I can dress like Darth Vader in the future B)

While I admire Karl, do you mind me asking why it would be SO devastating if he were not working any more? I mean what has he done that was really so interesting in the last 10+ years? It really has become a very easy formula. His place as a fashion personality is entertaining, but his design (at least today) is neither unique or revolutionary.

OFF TOPIC:

besides working for three different fashion houses at the same time and making them look absolulty unique, still without losing his karl signature (which galliano or marc jacobs were not always able to to at dior and lv),
in the last 10+ years, this around70yearsold man has also been able to tell everyone that high-fashion designers can also do cheap H&M clothes, he has expanded his work as a photographer (whether we may individually like his work or not), he's done tv commercials, edited books under his own label (7L), but most importantly: HE KNOWS HOW TO EVOLVE!

he has been able to change just as consumers were changing, he has even been able to change the way consumers act. He hasn't struggled as some designers his age did because "ruffles were not anymore à la mode and all they knew was to to ruffles". creating the right thing for the "big market", that's what he is good at. :flower: :flower:

ON TOPIC:

I hope nicolas, elbaz and oliver will be remembered.

I'd love simons to be a big icon too, but i wonder if he will be able to adapt well to new times, new trends,...

Why are there so many votes for Posen? He hasn't done anything new... He doesn't have his own vision... It doesn't make any sense...:blink:

zac posen isnt a designer of advant garde clothings..but i thought he makes beautiful gowns that are classy, quiet and romantic. i thought it is quite a feat to create something like this.
i dont know about his background or how his work process is. if he is like ralph lauren, who gets designers to sketch out and he approves, then that's another thing...but i believe he creates his own designs and sets the mood. is that the case? or does his parent company or something sets it?

i think fashion will always have a place for Rick Owens, Raf Simons, the Belgium six, Nicholas, Olivier, and i really really think Proenza Schouler will have the staying power and i think they will become stronger and stronger with evry collection ...and cant forget about McQueen..i really hope Karl and ALaia will live forever..

well...i find alot of the designers mentioned are already icons. mcqueen, galliano, kawakubo etc

honestly, it's hard to predict who will become icons because there will always be new comers and our aesthetic always changes

im tried of the older generation of designers, even designers like mcqueen or galliano or even one of my personal favorite, slimane are considered old. i find their initial flame of excitment and revolution had worn off (i guess this happens to most to every designer). of course, this kind of thought is not negative because it pushes me to think forward as a student studying to become a designer.

i think anyone who is pushing to become an icon or "the" icon of something is rather ridiculous. it's like saying, 'i want to become famous for the heck of it', i find it so vain and empty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cstmbres
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->