The Last Movie You Saw?

saw Civil War a few days ago and it’s still on my mind. Not the kind of movie I would describe as something I loved, but I did find it stunning and impactful and masterfully made.

the draughtsman's contract by peter greenaway. that score... and the costumes... :wub:

Milano: The Inside Story of Italian Fashion, by John Maggio

The Beast ... I am not sure what to think of it. First of all I don't know if this was a theatre specific thing but making me scan a QR code to watch the f*cking credits when it had an extra scene in there... 🔫. But otherwise while I found myself enjoying the movie throughout and feeling legit scared, I'm left a little confused. I think I'm gonna have to watch it again. But big thumbs down for killing the cat. Idfc about you getting your point across and it being fake, I feel like I am constantly constantly having to watch animals die in newer movies and I am TIRED of it!! I am not THAT defuckingsensitized that I need to see someone strangling a cat to get a rise of emotion out of me.

Contagion. I didn’t have the guts to watch this during lockdown and just found it in my flight and.. how is this in such a Nostradamus level of accuracy? down to the antivaxxers, how the vaccine was distributed (via a scale of privilege), the freaking bat, the teenagers missing out, Jude Law’s teeth that embodies a whole group of people that kind of only exist to aggravate any situation, and just everything else. I’m 😵‍💫🫨.. I guess they took their research very seriously..

Saw Challengers. Such a…. horny movie. In retrospect, the hype around Jonathan Anderson doing the costumes is hilarious, they might as well have been sourced from the clearance rack at Old Navy.

I did like the movie, though. Cast was good, the tennis was well shot, the soundtrack was a vibe.

Peter Tscherkassky - Outer Space (1999)

One of the coolest avant-garde shorts I've ever seen besides anything Maya Deren or Copyshop by Virgil Widrich (also Austrian like Tscherkassy).

Exhuma, last Monday. A bit late and I went in knowing nothing but the blurb but it's a solid thriller - loved Choi Min-shik and Kim Go-eun's performances in particular. The one nitpick I have is that maybe the subtitles were a bit fuzzy on explaining the significance of a certain object to the central mystery, but it was two hours well spent.

"Dolores Clairbourne"...with Kathy Bates. One of my favorite roles from one of my favorite actresses.

"Six pins, Dolores. Six pins, not five." I love that line.

Coup de chance. I love a stupid little Woody Allen thriller. A gross affair, someone being violently murdered/disposed of, suspense, but told with the lightness, humor and dreamlike qualities of a Disney movie lol: gorgeous lighting, stunning cinematography, the prettiest table lamps, and the only Paris I'd be down to reconcile with: the Paris of the ultra rich 🥲..

Reactions: KoV
These people openly calling others “ugly” casually must be flawless, immaculate Adonises and Aphrodites galore LMFAO

May be odd— and even hypocritical to some that I will drop “horserace” while never say “ugly”. But, a horseface can be attractive LOL …Ugly is just so final— like the harsh last judgement. On a purely superficial level, I absolutely relate to men like Josh O’Connor and Barry Keoghan: They can look absolutely r*tchet (from certain angles, certain times, certain appearances). Then they can transform and look absolutely handsome. There are days when I know I look devastatingly hideous, there are days when I’m told I should model (model standards are at such an all-me low these days so is it really a compliment…????). It’s not insecurity, and it’s not confidence— it’s just a truth.

Anyway, I will attempt to watch Challengers because tennis sweeps me to my stupid but blissful teendom years. But suffering that Zendaya is such a chore LOL Seems like all the White woman have moved on from fawning and desperately proving their progressive-lib card of Lupita to Zendaya now. All that fashion rag propaganda over her as as “Power and Grace” really does work LOL

^ I may watch it this weekend too.

I can’t stomach Josh and I said it before in his thread but will say it again because irrational, biased and unafraid: he looks too much like my ex (whose only crime was thinking he was oh so kind and did that same ‘I understand you’ face that pissed the hell out of me) therefore.. not ugly but hard pass. Couldn’t wait till his days as Prince Charles were over.. truly obnoxious.

Also, I will advocate for people who comfortably call someone ugly because the mirror or therapy has consecrated them as arbiters of all things ugly! it’s okay. But generally, ugly is only truly ugly when it emanates from inside out.

I can’t stomach Josh and I said it before in his thread but will say it again because irrational, biased and unafraid: he looks too much like my ex (whose only crime was thinking he was oh so kind and did that same ‘I understand you’ face that pissed the hell out of me) therefore.. not ugly but hard pass. Couldn’t wait till his days as Prince Charles were over.. truly obnoxious.

Also, I will advocate for people who comfortably call someone ugly because the mirror or therapy has consecrated them as arbiters of all things ugly! it’s okay. But generally, ugly is only truly ugly when it emanates from inside out.

Oh let’s do it— throw caution to the wind because you only live once, and… watch Challengers LOL Zendaya sounding and acting, and having the depth of Jennifer Lopez, yet gets praised too the seventh heavens is just hilarious how the industries are such vacant sheep desperately pining to sit with the meanest girl and her annoying ghey BFF Law, at the lunch table…Haha…

(Josh looks great in the WSJ shoot, but then in the same month’s Spanish Esquire, he looks like Kramer from Seinfeld…. I wouldn’t say that I’m that extreme— although I’m likely my worst critic. Eh)

"Dolores Clairbourne"...with Kathy Bates. One of my favorite roles from one of my favorite actresses.

"Six pins, Dolores. Six pins, not five." I love that line.
"Sometimes you have to be a high-riding b*tch to survive. Sometimes, Dolores, being a b*tch is all a woman has to hold onto." God, what a good movie.

Not that he actually looks super similar, but I have the same issue with Christian Bale in that he just reminds so much of someone that it's unavoidable thinking of anything else when I see him. Thus, his presence in a movie is a deterrent.

Zendaya is pretty good in Challengers. Nothing to write home about, but I thought she got the job done. Doubt she'll ever outdo her work in Euphoria, though.

^ I used to find her annoying and couldn’t stand her tiny face (yes yes I’m awful, what’s new!!) until I watched Euphoria just to get my own opinion because the bombarding from everywhere wouldn’t stop and yes everyone else is giving exactly the kind of performance that sends you to the moon as a teenager (so hideously cheesy, full of the clichés you envision adult life to be made of, the cocktail of trite/unrealistic lines written by a horny 41 year old man and placed on young people hired to comply with said clichés and not so much for the superiority of their acting skills), but somehow, in the middle of all this mess, Zendaya’s acting just floats above all of that.. it’s precise, dignified, perfectly despicable when it needs to be and irresistibly charming when the story needs the viewer to go back to wanting to see more of her. She just has that star quality..

I like her and I don’t know that much about her personal life or online reputation (besides her horrid stylist and the equally horrid numbers he puts her in) but strictly judging her work (which is all you should do if you’re not sheep!), she’s pretty legit and dimensional as an actor.

I haven't ever watched anything with Zendaya (except Spiderman and yes, I know I need to watch Dune), but she's delightful to the eyes or at least to me. She is this swan-like creature that is unconventionally beautiful with her tiny figure and bone structure and her microscopic forehead, she's the epitome of exotic and different. Even if there are a million of conventionally better-looking black or mulato women (or women of any skin color), she sticks out for some reason, she is a head turner whether you like it or not. And agreed, I hate her stylist (though the Alaïa spiral white dress on her was the best choice ever as no one could ever wear it better).

Anyhoo, last film I watched was Pas de Deux (1968) by Norman McLaren and it's just so hypnotically beautiful and mesmerizing and inspiring I can watch it again and again and again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anamali
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->