The real price of cheap cashmere

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
The real price of cheap cashmere

Cashmere is all over the high street, from Gap to Primark, you can pick up a cashmere jumper for under £50 and Japanese retailer Uniqlo charges just £29.99 for its 'cashmere' jumpers. Until recently, cashmere had a luxury, high-end market brand image, so how are the shops managing to deliver cashmere products at rock bottom prices? It looks like cashmere, it feels like cashmere, but is it?

Goats in China and Inner Mongolia are the world's biggest suppliers of raw cashmere. The cashmere fibre comes from the goats' underbellies which is encouraged to grow in these cold climates. The longer and finer the yarn, the better the quality and the fibre must be less than a certain diameter and more than a certain length to be considered genuine cashmere.

Traditionally, the raw fibres were shipped to Scotland or Italy to be processed; spun, dyed and milled. When the EU import quotas were relaxed in January 2005 the doors were opened for competition from China. For the past two years, China has increased its cashmere manufacturing market and began its low cost cashmere business with Europe and America.

Up goes cashmere in fashion and down goes costs in China, leading to high demand for a now affordable product. There has to be a catch somewhere, and it comes in the loss of quality for the consumer.

The European demand cashmere products has meant a big increase in the number of goats herdsmen rear in order to meet buyers' needs. In turn, this has massively damaged grazing land in China and Mongolia causing dust pollution on a large scale. Laws were put in place to try and recover ruined land and reduce pollution by rotating grazing areas and limiting herd numbers.

Quality control isn't an easy task when the goats are reared in far away deserted spaces. So what does the struggling herdsmen do? He has had to limit the number of goats he has but the demand is still there for his product. There are concerns that cross-breeding is going on. Also mixing cashmere with other fibres, even dead goat hair or rabbit fur, creating watered-down cashmere from a rougher, shorter fibre. A lot of the high street cashmere may hold a label stating 100% cashmere, but the likelihood is that it is a cashmere mix.

China and Mongolia are producing the highest quality cashmere, but it can be sourced from other places such as Iran and Afghanistan, so again this is where the quality can drop.

The next problem is production: the movement of manufacture from Italy and Scotland to China has effected the quality of what we see on our shelves. Cashmere should develop and grow with age and wear, however,the cheap imitations are pilling and bobbling after a couple of washes and this is due to over-milling.

In an effort to pull production back to Scotland, acclaimed yarn spinners Todd and Duncan of Loch Leven have put £2m into the company to revamp, and recently unveiled a new cashmere yarn which they can knit at high speeds. It can knit at a rate of 1 metre per second and without waste. That is 50% faster than some other yarns and will reduce costs dramatically and so allow them to compete with Chinese producers.

With all this going on it isn't easy to know what we are buying: a pedigree name and a ''Made in Scotland'' label is a pretty good sign you are buying the real thing. Gail Downey, co-founder of designer knitwear label Weardowney, believes that the quality of the goats' lives as well as their wool is being compromised. "They are breeding the cashmere and alpaca goats in places where they are not indigenous so the animals do not have the same quality of life. This basically means they and the yarn wool are inferior." Weardowney will not include cashmere in its mainline collection because, Gail tells us, "we haven't found cashmere of satisfactory quality. People should be aware" she says, "that just because it is called cashmere doesn't mean its a luxury garment. I'd trust Scottish labels like John Smedley and Pringle or Rowan for handknitting because they've worked with cashmere for a long time

Gail also points out that as well as the wool itself, spinning also crucially effects the quality of the garment. "If cashmere isn't spun correctly it ends up piling," she says. "It should be produced by experts".

High quality, expertly-manufactured cashmere, is a durable textile, and, as well as feeling amazing, it should last for years. So the likes of Topshop and Primark are offering us our touch of luxury at these low prices, but be warned you might not be getting what is says on the label and be prepared to bin it after a season.

fuk.co.uk

Two years ago there was a widely read story that the wall street journal published that tested how much cashmere was in famous brand name "cashmere" sweaters. Surprisingly, it was determined that brands like j crew were sneaking in other fibers, where cheaper brands like isaac mizrahi for target had the real thing.

i guess the moral of all this is buyer beware.

i had not thought about the production of cashmere's effect on grassland and desertification. thanks for posting this.

you're welcome,lucy :flower:

very interesting and enlightening....definitely makes me think about the industry in general..

lucy92 said:
Two years ago there was a widely read story that the wall street journal published that tested how much cashmere was in famous brand name "cashmere" sweaters. Surprisingly, it was determined that brands like j crew were sneaking in other fibers, where cheaper brands like isaac mizrahi for target had the real thing.

i guess the moral of all this is buyer beware.

i had not thought about the production of cashmere's effect on grassland and desertification. thanks for posting this.

I actually posted this kind of info. for many times on this forum but people didn't seem to care. :(
Many of my girlfriends stopped wearing cashmere just because of this. I aslo try to avoid cashmere as much as i can. Hopefully they could find a way to replace cashmere or make the goats eat something else. Otherwise humanbeings will eventually pay for the price.

i own only lambswool and alpaca.....but it makes me wonder about that now...

it's just a diabolical shame that with so much animal rights activism that this is not a topic not being paid attention to more....

you know,everybody can talk about fur but ultimately to the real people it's still pure luxury...but as cashmere has grown in popularity and cheaper shops are abound with pieces,it's become rather a basic. i think people should indefinitely be aware and conscious of what they're getting and what they might be contributing to.

i'm afraid that i am completely addicted to cashmere..:ninja:...

softgrey said:
i'm afraid that i am completely addicted to cashmere..:ninja:...

I was going to say the same. I was going to buy a warm, beautiful cashmere sweater next week but now I am not so sure anymore. Thank you for posting this, now I am less ignorant.

another factor that can definitely be put into to play is that, well, cashmere made in china is made so cheap b/c it's violating a lot of ethic/human rights. i'd rather buy cashmere from italy/scotland for this reason alone . . . however, i can't afford it, so i'll guess i'll stick to other fabrics.

i also had no idea about how the production of cashmere was affecting the environment . . . i'd definitely be more interested in this topic, not only cashmere but anywhere in the fashion world. thanks for this topic, guys! :flower:

Scott said:
i own only lambswool and alpaca.....but it makes me wonder about that now...

it's just a diabolical shame that with so much animal rights activism that this is not a topic not being paid attention to more....

you know,everybody can talk about fur but ultimately to the real people it's still pure luxury...but as cashmere has grown in popularity and cheaper shops are abound with pieces,it's become rather a basic. i think people should indefinitely be aware and conscious of what they're getting and what they might be contributing to.

actually ONLY cashmere has environmental consequences. It's the kind of goat they use that eat the grass roots. The grass roots secure the dirt on ground otherwise the dirt will be blown away and make the rich earth to desert.:(

Another article from the western society devastating China, and this time along with my hometown Mongolia.

I just got a cashmere sweater my mom bought me in China, I am addicted to it already, it feels like heaven.... It is 100% cashmere and made in China. It is a staggering tragedy how we are indirectly damaging our grasslands by consuming luxurious textiles.

in the miso soup said:
another factor that can definitely be put into to play is that, well, cashmere made in china is made so cheap b/c it's violating a lot of ethic/human rights. i'd rather buy cashmere from italy/scotland for this reason alone . . . however, i can't afford it, so i'll guess i'll stick to other fabrics.

i also had no idea about how the production of cashmere was affecting the environment . . . i'd definitely be more interested in this topic, not only cashmere but anywhere in the fashion world. thanks for this topic, guys! :flower:

We are talking about environmental issues, so please do not bring on other controversial theory. There are cheap "made in Italy" cashmere, too. JCrew claims that they use Loro Piana's mill to make cashmere, but what quality are they delivering?

WhiteLinen said:
I was going to say the same. I was going to buy a warm, beautiful cashmere sweater next week but now I am not so sure anymore. Thank you for posting this, now I am less ignorant.

I heard that alpaca is a good replacement. Warm and light just as cashmere.

alpaca's can live anywhere...theres even a bunch of alpaca farms in new england, near me. they dont mind the snow.
i think most alpaca yarn comes from bolivia however.

China and Mongolia are producing the highest quality cashmere
When I returned to China last month, cashmere was all the craze in the major urban areas. There were literally cashmere outlets every three blocks in Shanghai, and every store, whether it was cramped in the corner of a dirty street or located in the middle of a designer-only mall, was advertising that they had "geniune, pure cashmere clothing." Needless to say, consumers flocked to the former and never really questioned quality or authenticity -- only quantity/stock.

Silk is suffering the same fate.

And I hadn't heard much about the environmental factors involved in the processing of this material until now -- that is both disturbing and fascinating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad that I know about this. Since I went vegetarian in the 7th grade I have cut out wearing animal products. I know that my mom does make some of her own yarn and I've seen the entire process-from going to a farm an hour away where the person sheared the sheep, to the washing, carting, spinning, dying, and knitting of the yarn. After reading this it makes me appreciate what a pain-staking process it can be to get yarn, and I'm not talking about the expensive stuff, it just has to be suitable for what my mom would wear.

And hearing about this makes me want to educate people I know about the impact that the cashmere farming has.

I'm severely allergic to alpaca, but I have TONS of J.Crew cashmere, and it's still in perfect condition after who knows how many wearings. Their older cashmere, however, did get little fuzzies under the arms, though. I think that since they have revamped themselves, however, that their current cashmere can be trusted to be of good quality, even if they are lying about the fiber content.

i certainly wouldn't put too much faith in anything these high street shops propose...i think most of them are pretty dishonest anyway....especially when they try to pass off something as luxury at cheaply prices.

fibre content is really part of the quality,btw.

caff...i was speaking with regards to this-
"They are breeding the cashmere and alpaca goats in places where they are not indigenous so the animals do not have the same quality of life. This basically means they and the yarn wool are inferior."

it's also a shame they're allowing this knowing what it will do the land and the enviroment....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nocknock
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->