The World Welcomes a New Pope

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not Catholic but my boyfriend is and we were hoping the Nigerian cardinal would get it. Ratzinger is far too conservative and I don't like the fact that he is so anti abortion, homosexuality and contraception.

I was hoping that the new pope could help bring the Catholic church into the future. Ratzinger will just keep it in the past.

^Believe me, the church will not change it's rules no matter what or who the pope is, what Joh Paul did was listen to people and tried understanding their position but Ratzinger is not that kind - he won't listen in the first place but the church has to be run on the the rules and relugations it started out with even in a modern world.

I could not agree more!
It ridiculous to ask the Church to change just to please everyone...
It wont, its called standing up for something that you believe is right, whether people agree or not.

Everyone can believe whatever he thinks is right. The problems begin when he tries to force his truth on other people.
The Pope, whether we like it or not, is a figure of global importance and influence. Whatever he says or does affects not only "his people", the Catholics, but other people as well, people with different beliefs, morals or spiritual needs.
That's why I believe the reactionary Benedict the XVI may become a source of oppression for the world.

As for him being a Nazi, I find it ridiculous. He was a member of the Hitler Youth. So what? the 90% of the german children of his generation were members of the Hitler Youth. This doesn't make them war criminals.
And don't forget that the German Catholic Church suffered under the Nazi rule. Because the Nazis wanted to force their beliefs on others

And don't forget that the German Catholic Church suffered under the Nazi rule

The Catholic Church signed concordat with the fascist powers. Don't look to history to try and disprove the Church's fascist sympathies. "This is the body of Christ, barter him for ten thousand gold pieces if you will" just about says it all.

PrinceOfCats said:
The Catholic Church signed concordat with the fascist powers. Don't look to history to try and disprove the Church's fascist sympathies. "This is the body of Christ, barter him for ten thousand gold pieces if you will" just about says it all.

You're talking about the Lateran Treaty of 1929 between the Vatican and the Italian (fascist) State. I'm talking about the German Catholic Church and its struggle against Nazism from 1933 to 1945.
Of course, there were nazi sympathizers in the german church. But we must not forget that the German Catholic Church often enraged Hitler with its opposition to his plans, like the 1939 obligatory euthanasia law.

dimlat said:
You're talking about the Lateran Treaty of 1929 between the Vatican and the Italian (fascist) State. I'm talking about the German Catholic Church and its struggle against Nazism from 1933 to 1945.
Of course, there were nazi sympathizers in the german church. But we must not forget that the German Catholic Church often enraged Hitler with its opposition to his plans, like the 1939 obligatory euthanasia law.

I'm not talking about Nazi sympathisers in the German Church - I'm talking about instutionalised fascism (or cowardice) in the Vatican. The Pope let the German Catholic Church be dismantled. The man was quite clearly keeping a swastika and a pair of lightning bolts in his back drawer.

Scott said:
Wow,I never would have expected some of you to be so keen on fascist idealism. Especially from some of whom I would assume are gay too. That just shocks the hell out of me. And in a "fashion" forum too.

I mean,going back to Ella's quote about gay's pushing for rights. That's like saying we f*cking deserve everything we get! And it contradicts everything the church believes in...or supposedly believe's in. Do you seriously think that's right? Stop living in a peaceful,vacuumed mirage of what religion is supposed be because it isn't that peaceful and serene.

real elegant, and no i'm not gay lol :woot: but still how do you SURELY know that we're keen on facist idealism, hmmmmm...

if ya say so prince of c. i'd like to see that swastika that he supposedly has, and thinking aobut it, just because you desert something doesn't mean that it's claerly gone away from your mind, i mean do you see the celebs still talking about past sh*t that has been over and doen with for i dunno how long? It will always be with you, and yeah, sometimes in cases, in the way that you implied (that is if he's not for real and still a nazi) but hopefully and i don't think he's still that way

and as i said whenever someone (not targeting anyone in specific, okay!) gets defeated over debating someone, here comes all of a sudden the smearness "oh well he/she was still this or that, as if it's gonna help" how original rotfl

mdankwah said:
^Believe me, the church will not change it's rules no matter what or who the pope is
Well, that's not entirely true. Historically the Catholic Church has had to change its positions on a number of matters. The earth revolving around the sun for example. Granted it took them a few hundred years to finally accept that view, but in the end they did have to reform their notion that the earth was the center of the cosmos and the sun revolved around it. Or accepting the legitimacy of other faiths - that was a huge change, that was first violently opposed by the Church, but eventually recognized and agreed upon.

I don't think it's accurate to say that the Catholic Church will never change its stance on homosexuals/women priests, etc. , I just think it will probably take them a long time to do so.

I read that Ratzinger's father was actually very anti-nazi and his family was forced to move many times, also Ratzinger joined the Nazi Youth because he had to and was part of it only for the compulsory amount of time. I don't have a problem against him because of that. It's his views that I cannot accept, I think it's sick for people to follow someone who feels that way about homosexuals, women, contraception etc. I just don't understand fundamentalists...

Many people share similar views to him, he may just be more passionate about them or actually have the guts to stand up infront a group and say them outloud...
And some leaders may actually keep quiet just to make the masses happy...

[email protected]

I wonder if he'll get the e-mails promising a larger penis that I get every single day. do you go to hell for spamming the pope?

i bet someone's proud of their little brother hmmm...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050420/481/reg10104200956

i found a pic of them when they were starting out in the church

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4462989.stm

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/04/20/young_ratzinger_narrowweb__200x270.jpg

when he deserted, finally
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4462989.stm (it's the third pic, if you hit the right" next" arrow button

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4462989.stm (it's the fourth one: jsut slide through em lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Riska21
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->