Tom Ford for Estée Lauder's Youth Dew : Carolyn Murphy by Craig McDean

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
here we go...

093005_46.jpg
tomfordforesteelaudersyouthdew.jpg

For the upcoming advertising campaign backing his update of the Estée Lauder Cos.' Youth Dew, Tom Ford has gotten naked again — sort of.

The print ad, photographed by Craig McDean and closely art directed by Ford, shows Lauder's regular model, Carolyn Murphy, slumbering nearly nude on a couch, with a sheet covering strategic body parts.

The ad is designed to promote Amber Nude, a new interpretive fragrance that updates Estée Lauder's groundbreaking scent Youth Dew, which had caused a sensation in 1953. It wasn't just the fact that Lauder had offered a bath oil that was as sensual and powerful as a perfume so that women could buy it themselves, then a new idea. There also was the eye-opening advertising image. Shot through a frosted glass shower door, it showed a naked woman toweling herself off after taking a bath.

Ford, interviewed by telephone from London Thursday, laughed as he anticipated the reaction to his latest work. "They'll say, ‘Oh God, it's Tom Ford taking the clothes off another person and stretching her out.'" He pointed out, however, that Estée Lauder's 1953 bombshell was more controversial in its time, although he did admit, "I like naked women, and I like naked men as well." :rolleyes:

The new ad, pictured here, provides the first look at the hotly anticipated image, which will appear in the December editions of a handful of magazines. While Lauder executives would not discuss budgets, industry sources estimate that the global advertising spend, including scented strips, could hit $12 million, with $8 million in the U.S.

The ad campaign will support the fragrance launch; that launch will be accompanied by a 13-item line of luxury-priced cosmetics encased in heavy gold metal packaging. Branded under the Tom Ford Estée Lauder name, products will make their debut in November in only 100 doors, mostly specialty stores. The makeup items will be produced in small numbers of a limited edition, while the Amber Nude fragrance will continue on as a flanker to Youth Dew. In December, 125 doors will be added to the fragrance distribution, then another 775 doors will be added in the early part of 2006. Most of these will be in North America, although key doors will be added overseas. It is estimated that North American distribution will ultimately hit 1,000 doors.
extract from a wwd article, photo from the-lip-print.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit - I get the fact that it's just an updated version of an old scent now :lol: However, I don't think the ad is that outrageous. It's not all that extreme :wacko:

ha...I love this "I like naked women, and I like naked men as well."

Oh, that Tom Ford

there is nothing special about that ad...quite boring, if you ask me... and what does tom ford know about makeup to have his own line?!? i still just dont get this lauder deal with him...

seems that he's already taken the chief art director chair..
this explains his involvement with the art direction of this ad..

i dont even like the angle or the light direction on the Youth Dew photograph
the jaw of the model looks plain wrong and the light it's far too yellowish :ninja:

for me the ad. looks like the latest ad. for J'adore DIOR by Charlize Therone, but with horizntal alignment & deeper colors??

not so striking like nu, m7, rush, opium...& all his previous work??

^ Certainly not as impactful as all of the perfume ads he did while he was creative director, but that could be because he has less control at EL?

I find it a bit strange that Estee Lauder is launching this perfume because they're also creating a new campaign for their other scent Pleasures, in which Gwyneth Paltrow will model. It just seems a bit conflicting.

That is considerably less shocking than what I've come to expect from Tom Ford. Dare I say it, the ad borders on chaste. We've all seen nearly nude women obscured by blankets before. The ads for M7 and Sophie Dahl's Opium campaign, now those were daring and interesting uses of nudity. I guess I just expect more from Tom.

Great photo of Carolyn Amazing:flower:

I think this was the ad for the previous Youth Dew fragrance. Just for comparsion, it's Paulina Porizkova.

adv_2232.JPG

From bwgreyscale

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mihxxen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->